Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lt_C's model emporium

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
Hi, I'm Ben, I make mostly sci-fi themed hard surface models for environments. I mostly specialize in wrangling the source engine to do my bidding, but I've made a concerted effort to move to UE4.

I started making textures and reskins for Half-Life back around 2001 or so, and have worked as a dedicated texture artist working in concert with other artists to make source engine content since about 2005. I have also dabbled in hammer. I made my first model about two years ago.

My long term goal is to work in the industry - I've got a computer engineering degree and C++ education that focused on microprocessor interfacing, openGL/CUDA programming, 3D data structures, gaming AI and networing, and OS design that has practically gone to waste in IT. I hope to build a portfolio strong enough to get hired on as either a digital artist or programmer and leverage my hobby and passion for game art and my education as a programmer to end up as a (technical) artist. I know being a 'generalist' doesn't really get you a job, so I've tried to focus on making props and pushing through the entire pipeline for in-engine functionality, animation friendly rigging, and solid material definition. That said, I have a wide breadth of content to pull from, and I've at least dabbled in most areas of gamedev.

I try and at least work on something every week, and I do my best to finish projects - I generally release props for use on the steam workshop. I'm in the process of updating my portfolio, but so much of the work I've done has been hacked and cobbled together from existing game art or uses bits and pieces of things I personally didn't make, the bulk of my work is ineligible for it. Furthermore, my skill has improved, and anything before 2012 (and there is a lot of pre-2012 right now) doesn't even stack up to what I'm doing today.

I'm going to use this thread to show what I'd say is in the 75+ zone, thing that are either 100% me or something I was asked to do additional work on, or at least 75% my work.

Wow, that's a lot of words with no pictures! Let me rectify that. Coming from source, most of it is rendered in SFM, and I'll try and keep it to finished scenes.

Envrionments/scenes:
lt_scifibox1.jpg
stratus_bridge.jpg
busymorning_small.jpg
scifi_lobby2_small.jpg

Most of my art is centered around PhillipK's source texture set - one of my current goals is to phase that out with my own textures. It's a slow process, but it'll be worth it to be able to use my environment work in my portfolio with no strings attached.

Vehicles:
shuttle_cargo_2.jpg
shuttle_palmlix.png

Props:
40sw_pistol_a.jpg
stratus_console.jpg
planet.jpg
scifi_spotlight.jpg
desktop_14_small.jpg
nypdbadge.jpg

UE4 (More wip/raw)

Fire extinguisher - source/PBR material definition conversion
extinguisher_compare.jpg

Blueprint placed modular wall paneling
panels_3d.jpg
spaghetti.JPG
Placing a single entity allows for population of entire lengths of wall with 4 levels of density per slot and end caps. I still have to update the materials to allow for dynamic material definition and paint/glow color.

Instanced single shader quad-material (wip)
muhparameters.JPG

Sorry everything here seems so monochrome - this sci-fi environment has been my focus, and at times a minor source of income. I do other types of assets, but most of those are older and don't reflect my current level of skill. In light of that, I plan on branching out and diversifying my work, and trying to work more from concept art.

I maintain a gamedev oriented blog and a twitter account, and I mostly post on Facepunch.

Feel free to lay out some C&C, advice, whatever! I'm actively trying to improve my craft and eventually get hired, and this is the place to get get some real feedback.

Replies