Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC-WIP_chaos

Hello everyone,
Here is my WIP for the Unreal Tournament contest.
I think that is too soon to see that is about an island but I wanted to share with you my first time with this process, using Zbrush, modo and photoshop for the painting :)

chaos_wip.jpg

Replies

• FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is definitely "Uhh what am i looking at" but for just initial brainstorming this is a neat process! I've known about something similar like using 3d fractals and going into them "searching" for something that grabs you. I've never done this sort of workflow myself but I do tend to work in "seeing images in the clouds" so it's not that far off.

What did you do to come up with that chaotic 3d shape anyways? Is that a modo thing that generates random planes or did you hand make a bunch of it?
  • Jeskanderson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "seeing images in the clouds" it's totally this way, I found that it is liberating
    as you feel polluted by too many images or concepts and when you can't stay focus on an idee.
    To answers you FirebornForm, this is modeled quickly in Zbrush, lighted and rendered in Modo then go to photoshop. No fuss
    I hope I was clear , because it's time to go too sleep for me :)
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw your final. Really nice matte painting, but I have no idea how you got from your earlier chaos shots to that. None of them even line up so you must have been hacking away at it for a while.