Home Technical Talk

Copy UVs to an Decimated Model?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Gazu polycounter lvl 11
Hi Guys,

just in trouble with some UVs i want to copy from my 3DSMAX LowPoly Model to an imported decimated zBrush LowPoly.
I Click and drag the UVW Modifier to the decimated Model but nothing happens.

How can i copy my 3DSMAX Model UVs to the decimated Model?

Thanks,
Gazu

Replies

• huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I don't think you can do that. What do you need it for?
  • kurt_hectic
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    hehe, UV's=topology=mesh. You can't copy\paste it just like that if meshes are different.

-You has to unwrap your new model.
    -You can project diffuse texture if you want to.
    -Normal map also has to be created from scratch.
  • mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Try this.

Apply the proper UVs to your low poly mesh

Bring in your low-poly mesh into Zbrush, subdivide it and re-project the highpoly mesh onto the lowpoly mesh.

You now have uvs on your high poly mesh.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Guys! I solved it.
    The Problem was Dynamesh/zRemesher. I used them and the Result are Crap UVs ^^

So i just reimported my LowPoly with Support Edges, divided the Geometry, exported the HighPoly, decimated it and exported the new low poly with "keep UVs" checked.
    So the old UVs are still there now in Max :)

Thx ^^
  • wes.sau
    FYI - in 3dsmax you can transfer any vertex data channel (Uv's, vert color, etc) from one model to another with the Projection Modifier - just add it directly on the model from the modifier list instead of using the traditional render-to-texture (which uses it specifically for rendering textures instead of transferring vert data).

This works with any difference in topology, just remember the same projection guidelines in traditional RTT projection, where you may want to use the cage and make sure the models are aligned well in important areas in order to guide the projection operation, etc.

Of course sometimes it needs a little cleanup in a few buggy areas, mileage may vary. But overall is quicker than redoing a bunch of steps in max-to-zbrush-to-max, and all that.