Home Contests & Challenges Archives Petrol/Blood

PETROL/BLOOD – UncleFantazmo

I am a long time lurker on these forums and a very infrequent poster. But I really want to get better at this whole "ART" thing. I am going to be honest what actually motivated me to even start trying to enter this contest was a YouTube Video that (I wish I could remember the specific one) said that the way that he got so good was he started entering contests and actually getting good feedback and BLAH BLAH BLAH. Anyway, I know I am a bit late to this contest, but there is no time like the present.

So, this is going to be my attempt at making a Character and his Ride. I am really looking forward to this, so please don't crush my dreams to quickly. :)

This is an as of yet un-named hero who is going to ride a beast like mecha robot. The Main guy, we can call him Tim for now, will most likely ride from the back of the beast mech.

Replies

• UncleFantazmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started on the sculpt, I am pretty rusty and inexperienced with anatomy. So, this should be fun. I am starting with a gorilla body style, maybe I went too far with the face, but it was hard for me to not try. Anyway, I still need hands and feet and to retopo so I can subdivide correctly. This is a dirty dynamic topo mesh (all Triangles) then I feel like I could dive deeper into the High res and armor and all the cool stuff.

2nqgunm.jpg
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I guess it's a little too early to comment on the sculpt but it looks like a nice start.

The presentation can be improved though. Using a pure black background is usually a bad idea. A middle valued color which doesn't merge with your character is a much better choice. Is this a render with ambient occlusion? If so, don't bother with that. Just grab a screenshot from your modeling/sculpting app and post that. It will be easier to read forms that way.

Good luck!
  • UncleFantazmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you EmAr. You are correct it is a AO render, I was not sure how to present this very WIP sculpt, and your advice is incredibly helpful.
    I am trying to get into the habit of being an active participant in the forums, and this helps a lot.
  • UncleFantazmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A small update, I have been spinning my wheels on this project a lot. I know it does not really have context, but it is a gauntlet piece of armor.
    fan3pj.jpg