Home General Discussion

Image Help

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
bryandsilva polycounter lvl 2
Hello Im totally confused how to put “larger images” on polycount, I was exploring the site, and uploaded a picture but its uploading as a thumbnail I saw the code you put in but every time I do it it doesn’t display as the larger picture everyone has when they upload, can you guys please help me?

Replies

• Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    You need to host the images on another site and use the img code to link them like that. I upload mine to a public folder on my dropbox.
  • bryandsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright thank you it worked , Ive was trying forever to get it enlarged instead of the thumbnail, this site is very different I thought it will be like zbrush central's forums where you attach an image and it'll show up enlarged instead of a thumbnail
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    As Shinku said, dropbox is probably the easiest place to host them. When you're writing your post, you can also just hit the little "Insert Image" button in the text formatting options, paste in the address to your image and you're good to go.

On formatting images for the web: If you've got Photoshop, use the "Save for Web" feature and keep the images you're sharing to about 1k pixels wide. (You can set the width in the Save for Web dialogue so it wont affect your original image.) Use the "JPEG High" preset. It'll ensure your image loads quickly and doesn't wreak havoc on Polycount's layout and still looks good.

edit: beat me to it, heheh.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Imgur is a quick and easy solution to img hosting. Photobucket has bandwidth limits so i avoid that these days.
  • bryandsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim wrote: »
    As Shinku said, dropbox is probably the easiest place to host them. When you're writing your post, you can also just hit the little "Insert Image" button in the text formatting options, paste in the address to your image and you're good to go.

On formatting images for the web: If you've got Photoshop, use the "Save for Web" feature and keep the images you're sharing to about 1k pixels wide. (You can set the width in the Save for Web dialogue so it wont affect your original image.) Use the "JPEG High" preset. It'll ensure your image loads quickly and doesn't wreak havoc on Polycount's layout and still looks good.

edit: beat me to it, heheh.

Thanks for the help :) Im using Microsofts OneDrive to put my pictures on, thanks for the advice on the photoshop I might try it to see how it works
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    One thing I dislike about Dropbox is if you decide to clean up some space on Dropbox, and delete old images you posted on a forum, it's really annoying if you Google something specific and all of the images from one person are broken.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    That's how any server works unfortunately, it's in no way unique to Dropbox. You could start a DeviantArt or ArtStation account (somewhere you're unlikely to free up space for other things) and link to the images you post there.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Imgur.com keeps images a lot longer than most hosts from my experience. 1 view every 6 months is all it needs to keep the image.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I use Facebook for unlimited bandwidth for my WIP stuff.
    Better looking stuff get posted on Pinterest, DeviantArt, and ArtStation.
    Some random stuff like banners get posted on imgur.
  • Dantert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dantert polycounter lvl 10

Helpful stuff thanks!

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@Dantert Notice the dates on the replies, this is all really old information... like 7+ years old! None of those limits apply anymore here on Polycount.

Nowadays it's as simple as drag-and-drop.

For example, this is a 2558x1377 screengrab from a demo, dragged into my reply. Click on it to see it bigger.

Also, with the new forum editor if you click on an image while you're editing you'll see a popup above the image with some tools.