Home Technical Talk

Scaling inside Zbrush

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Arno polycounter lvl 8
Hi All,

I’ve got quite a complicated Zbrush question, hope somebody here can help me out.

So I’ve got a high-res sculpt in zBrush. And low-poly model in Maya that got rotated, scaled and moved after the maps where baked.

For consistency I need to match the high res model in zBrush to the one in Maya.

I’m able to use the rotate in the deformation tab to match my rotation, and export the lowest level to match the position.

But the Size slider under the deformation tab doesn’t seem to have any correlation to a traditional scale like the one in Maya.
And If I export a lower level and scale that, any detail above that level will stay unscaled. The high res mesh is too high for export ( says it runs out of ram ) otherwise I could simply scale it in Maya.

Does anybody now a way to accurately scale a mesh inside zBrush using numeric values ?

Cheers,
Arno

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    If I'm not mistaken, the Size slider represents a percentage amount larger or smaller than the starting size, so 100 being 100% larger, or twice as big. This makes it impossible to easily scale something to, say, 3 times its normal size, since the slider caps out at 100.

I don't exactly have an answer to your question, but perhaps an alternative.

I'd say the easiest solution would be to simply have 2 low poly models, one for baking maps which matches up with your high poly (not a problem if your HP and LP are the same subtool), and one for your engine to do with as you please.
  • Arno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    I've been using two Low-poly models for my own workflow. But I need to hand the models off the different person. And want to hand over an presentable package where everything is the final scale ( the scale of low poly that is different than my baking mesh )
  • Arno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks, by giving me the correlation between zbrush's size, and maya's scale I managed to figure out how to scale it to size I needed !