Home Freelance Job Postings

Hard Surface Modeller/Texture Artist

[Update: This position has been filled. Thanks again for your time.]

Hi all,

I'm an indie developer based in Spain looking to outsource the art for my game, a turn based tactical roguelike in a fully destructible procedural cave. It could be lazily described as a mixture of Front Mission (the SRPG ones), Jagged Alliance 2 and DoomRL, with a sprinkle of Worms.

Here are a couple of alpha version screenshots using placeholder art:
Shot01.jpg

Shot02.jpg

The brunt of the work will be cold war/modern style mid-poly vehicle and weapons (ideally in 3dsMax format) plus textures. Most of the characters in the game are robots composed of modular parts: A chassis, a hull and several mounted weapons. Here's a sample picture displaying multiple configurations using placeholder art:

ModularRobotSample.jpg

I'm using the Strauss lighting model, which requires the usual albedo and normal maps plus a smoothness and a metalness channel. Ideally the applicant will be familiar with this lighting model, but (as I realize it's an uncommon one) if necessary I'll accept a regular gloss map and generate the Strauss material map myself. Also I'd prefer if the applicant is able to do some rigging and animation, as I'll need "move forward" and "turn" animations for the vehicle chassis, as well as "fire" animations for the weapons (where applicable); but again, I might be willing to outsource those to a dedicated animator at a later date. I won't be providing concept art, just reference pictures and verbal descriptions, so I want someone who's able to work with little art direction.

I'm looking for someone with industry experience and a good command the english language. Your application should include your hourly rate, a link to your portfolio and a listing of relevant experience. Once I've shortlisted the most interesting applicants I will be asking for references.

While I have several years of experience (as a graphics programmer) interacting with artists as coworkers, this is my first time contracting one. Once the position has been filled, and before ordering assets in bulk, I'd like to place an order for a single asset as a test run; for me to see that you deliver to spec in a timely manner, and for you to see that I pay in full in a timely manner.

Send you applications either through private message or through email to:

abominacion(at)gmail(dot)com

jorge(at)onemanarmygames(dot)com (it's an alias of the previous address)

Thanks for your time,

Jorge Helguera