Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SIG 556

Nosslak
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
I started working on a Sig 556 with some custom attachments a few days ago. Here's what the midpoly mesh currently looks like:
Sig_HP6.png

And here's the main reference picture I used:
Sig556.jpg
I switched out the muzzle brake alongside with the magazine and also added a grenade launcher attachment, but otherwise I've tried to make it pretty much as accurate as possible.

I'm thinking about switching out the magazine back to the one used in the picture above, as I'm not sure I really like the current design. I still have a few, small details left to do, but otherwise I'm pretty satisfied with how it looks so far.

I'm trying to make pretty much all the details now before I go in and do all the sub-d work. I read that's how either EQ or Perna works so I thought I'd try that out for a change. So far that does seem to be a bit better of a workflow.

Anyway I haven't modeled many modern military weapons before so some feedback on the proportions or anything else really would be great.

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    looks cool man. I'm surprised its so smooth looking as a mid poly. Nicely done! I don't know a ton about guns, so not much I can crit, but it looks like the grenade launcher barrel is a bit thin.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks cool man. I'm surprised its so smooth looking as a mid poly. Nicely done! I don't know a ton about guns, so not much I can crit, but it looks like the grenade launcher barrel is a bit thin.
    Thanks! The walls of grenade launcher barrels are actually surprisingly thin, I thought it was too thin as well at first but after looking at some references it doesn't seem to be. Here's another reference with a grenade launcher (not the exact model I went with but most of them seem to be very thin):
    0M4-M203-TacLight.JPG
    However looking at my references again made me realize that the end of the barrel should be a little rounded and there should be some spiral threading inside the barrel, so I fixed both those issues as well. Thanks for the feedback!
  • ArtemSh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, good start.

Not sure if the midpoly is done or you're still planning to add more details in here, but I found a couple of places that may need more attention here.
    1- it seems this part need some geometry added
    2- this line seems to be a bit higher
    3- receiver end plate converges to the bottom. It may also rise the need to rework rear part of your receiver, though
    4- this part seems to be a bit different on different guns, but it's usually round in section

sig556vpi67.jpg

Also, I'd recommend you to check if your rail corresponds to the original size and dimensions, that can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picatinny_rail . If you make completely proper rail and then make attachments for it, you can be sure that all attachments you make will fit just fine to your future weapons, because the rail dimensions are standardized on real guns.

Also, your magazine looks like a Magpul PMAG magazine. If it's the case I can advise you to use the blueprints that can be found in Magpul patents. For example I used the blueprints found in this patent to make a Magpul magazine for my M4: https://www.google.com/patents/USD681151 . And I found that some really nice stuff can be found when you dig through patents:)
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtemSh wrote: »
    Hi, good start.

Not sure if the midpoly is done or you're still planning to add more details in here, but I found a couple of places that may need more attention here.
    1- it seems this part need some geometry added
    2- this line seems to be a bit higher
    3- receiver end plate converges to the bottom. It may also rise the need to rework rear part of your receiver, though
    4- this part seems to be a bit different on different guns, but it's usually round in section

sig556vpi67.jpg
    Good catches! I agree with all the points here so I'm working on fixing all of them ATM. I were going to fix #4 before but then kind of forgot about it, but I've fixed it now.

I've got some small details left to add like notches on some knobs/screws and some details on the magazine and muzzle brake but for the most part I'm pretty happy with it. I'm also thinking about modelling out the text but I haven't really found any good solution for that in Blender yet.
    Also, I'd recommend you to check if your rail corresponds to the original size and dimensions, that can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picatinny_rail . If you make completely proper rail and then make attachments for it, you can be sure that all attachments you make will fit just fine to your future weapons, because the rail dimensions are standardized on real guns.
    I didn't really think about that too much, but you're right. I've remade it with some proper dimensions this time around. Still need to add some more details to it, like re-adding the screws and maybe modelling a fold-able ironsight as well.
    Also, your magazine looks like a Magpul PMAG magazine. If it's the case I can advise you to use the blueprints that can be found in Magpul patents. For example I used the blueprints found in this patent to make a Magpul magazine for my M4: https://www.google.com/patents/USD681151 . And I found that some really nice stuff can be found when you dig through patents:)
    Yeah, it is indeed a PMAG magazine. Thanks for the link to the patent, those pictures will make for a lot better references than the ones I currently use.
    Great job on your M4 BTW, it looks really clean and well modeled.

Thanks a lot for the spot on critique, man! It's helping me out a lot. I'll post some new shots with your critique implemented later today.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright time for an update:
    Sig_HP7.png
    Changes:
    - Fixed points 1-4 that ArtemSh pointed out.
    - Remodeled the magazine.
    - Remodeled the picatinny rail.
    - Added some spiral threading in the greande launcher barrel.