Home General Discussion

Divinity: Original Sin

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
Anyone pick this up?

I've played it for about 5 hours and fuggin' love it. It's very difficult in all the right ways.

I haven't head a good RPG like this since the Baldur's Gate / NWN (original) days.

Amazing character building, combat is challenging and rewarding, no real quest log so you actually have to give a shit about what people say to you... the list goes on.

I have thoroughly enjoyed it so far and plan on restarting because of how much info I've been reading about character building and late-game progression.

photo-main.jpg?1397811896

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    I picked it up a few days ago but have only had a chance to play about an hour. Definitely enjoying it so far though, looking forward to many more hours of fun.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Game is super fun. Story/plot is trash but that is a given with any fantasy RPG. I played it for probably 30 hours the last two days.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang, I remember the days I could play games that much! I'm lucky if I can get 2-3 hours a night.
  • CrackRockSteady
    Mstankow wrote: »
    Game is super fun. Story/plot is trash but that is a given with any fantasy RPG. I played it for probably 30 hours the last two days.

lol what? since when is fantasy RPG = shit story?
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    lol what? since when is fantasy RPG = shit story?

I could probably write a book on why it has always never been good. It basically is playing someone's DnD campaign that is padded with tons of lore but not much actually happens in the game. And considering the last PC style fantasy RPG to come out was Shadowrun Returns which had the exact same plot as Original Sin. It is basically people swap out a basic plot and replace everything else with their own lore.
  • CrackRockSteady
    I'm not arguing that D:OS has a good or bad plot, I haven't even played it enough to form an opinion. I'm arguing that saying fantasy RPG automatically equates to bad story is completely ridiculous. Sure, you can name fantasy RPGs that have terrible plots, but I can name games with terrible plots from every genre imaginable. I would say that some of the best stories I've played have come from fantasy RPGs. Perhaps not in the last couple years, but just straight up saying bad story is a given with a fantasy RPG is pretty inaccurate.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Well videogames in general have very bad stories. Even the most well regarded stories in games are still not that great. Like Portal 2 has one of the best stories for a videogame but it still is not that great of one. It just that people are really bad at telling stories in games and most times they rely too heavily on tropes and lore. RPGs are especially bad in that department.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Like Portal 2 has one of the best stories for a videogame but it still is not that great of one.
    I'm not sure if Portal 2 is a great example for a great videogame story. It's hilarious, sure, but I'd imagine there would be quite a few examples you could have picked that are better in that regard.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Whiles its true that stories in games are generally awful, there are quite a few good stories out there, and some in the fantasy RPG genre.

Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenogears, FFNINE all come to mind pretty quickly.
  • CrackRockSteady
    Planescape: Torment comes to mind almost immediately as a good example as well. IMO if you think all the stories are the same and are all bad you haven't played enough RPGs, or at the very least you've been getting rather unlucky with the titles you're choosing.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    They still a far cry from the storytelling being done in other mediums. I would say though that Mother 3 has done the best job so far though in the realm of fantasy RPG.
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    They lost me at turn based combat. But the character customization looks amazing.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    But the turned based combat is pretty good !! This would have had turned into Diablo or Torchlight clone if it had real-time combat.

I been playing it for a few hours here and there.
    But mostly I'm waiting for awesome mod editors. Because mods make turn great RPG into legendary !
  • bounchfx
    Been playing this almost non stop since picking it up. Had zero expectations, no idea what the game was, and now I'm already 40+ hours in within a week. It's fantastic, and Co-Op is awesome too.

Makkon: turn based or not the combat is super fun.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    PyrZern wrote: »
    But the turned based combat is pretty good !! This would have had turned into Diablo or Torchlight clone if it had real-time combat.

I been playing it for a few hours here and there.
    But mostly I'm waiting for awesome mod editors. Because mods make turn great RPG into legendary !

If I could play on tablet I would agree.
    Otherwise Turn based combat is turn over for me.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Gilgamesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Bought it and have played 30+ hours (not even left cyseal yet) great game plagued by old problems (bad inventory management mainly). Best rpg i've played in a looooong time, well worth the outlay.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Love the game so far, lots of potential for greatness if it continues to get development, or the engine and system they built gets further adaptations.
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Loving it so far, taking up time I'd put aside for Petrol/Blood though
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    so did any of you find the little polycount tribute i put in there yet?
    its in a house on a wall inside of cyseal somewhere ;) i`ll keep the directions as vague as the game does :P
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    I wait patiently until the summer is over because my wife hates any weather but warm so we'll have time to play it together.
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Really want to pick this up, got far too many games to play - just installed Blackguards, but probably should've bought this instead.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon wrote: »
    They lost me at turn based combat. But the character customization looks amazing.

I was also a bit hesitant at the turn-based combat.

But my god, it's fucking good.

It is the best turn-based combat game I have ever played. I haven't played Fallout 1 or 2, and many people say it's similar to that.

For being turn-based, it's pretty damn fluid and quick.

You just immediately enter combat when enemies are close and you start fuckin' shit up. You can play it as quickly or as slowly as you want.

I remade my characters last night because I started geekin' out on character builds and min-maxing points.

I highly recommend everyone watches this short vid on what NOT to do with character builds. Also talks about how many points you have at 20, so you can plan a full character well in advance.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sMZgmyYFek"]Divinity: Original Sin - Character Build Guides - What NOT To Do - YouTube[/ame]

I'll give it a shot - I know it's unfair but I was judging it based on the cover art they chose. Yikes.

Yeah their paintings/concept art is definitely college level. I winced at some of the the sub-par paintings, but the amazing gameplay & character building for this game makes me not care about it.
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    totally love this game
    playing with a friend coop and its really nice.

whats really nice is that noone points you directly to a quest, and noone tells you how this riddle works, so you have to solve that yourself
    and the difficulty is nice, not too easy, you will die if you get unlucky or screw up

also coop is so much fun, we´re 20+ hours in and still on the first map (of 4 ?)

great job, didnt have this much fun in a long time
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah their paintings/concept art is definitely college level. I winced at some of the the sub-par paintings, but the amazing gameplay & character building for this game makes me not care about it.

The art is there to support the game, at least the 3d art is.
    keep in mind that this game isn`t one riding on a AAA budget,
    but yeah don`t play the game if you`re only in it for highend cutscenes that where outsourced and planned months ahead because you wont be getting that here :).
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    The art is there to support the game, at least the 3d art is.
    keep in mind that this game isn`t one riding on a AAA budget,
    but yeah don`t play the game if you`re only in it for highend cutscenes that where outsourced and planned months ahead because you wont be getting that here :).

"High end cutscenes" are things that typically deterred me from playing games. Most AAA games find the need to turn every game into an interactive movie and it baffles me.

There needs to be more games like D:OS, Dark Souls, and Half-Life where you experience the story via gameplay.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    i`m not arguing ;) and with the AAA cutscenes i was more referring to what isaiah said about the paintings and conceptart.

anyway it was fun working on this game, i did a lot of the 3d creatures/chars and learned quite some technical stuff working on it . I`m glad people are enjoying it so far
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    i`m not arguing ;) and with the AAA cutscenes i was more referring to what isaiah said about the paintings and conceptart.

anyway it was fun working on this game, i did a lot of the 3d creatures/chars and learned quite some technical stuff working on it . I`m glad people are enjoying it so far

Cool! Did you make those weird ass bomb skeletons? They look like martians from Mars Attacks :p

iEVIW_IslFYo.jpg

Some of the creatures in this game are hilarious.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    haha yup , thats whats fun about working on this game
    theyre not too serious with everything so you could put some goofy characters in there
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    haha
    we were laughing hard when we saw the first one ^.^
    and we nearly shat our pants when we encountered some more at the cementary
  • Ahoburg
    Beat the game yesterday. It's really great. One of the best rpgs ever. Not as good as Arcanum or Baldur's Gate, but still one of the best out there. Loved the graphics, art, combat, and especially music. It's fantastic. The main story was alright and had too many similar elements with Wheel of Time saga, but it was enjoyable enough. Definitely worth playing.

"Nobody has as many friends as a man with many cheeses!"
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    Not in the mood for cheeeeeeeeeeese?
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Wow missed this game. Looks just like the sort of thing I would fall in love with. Will pick it up in a sale methinks.
  • kobol72
    Check this Sweetfx mod for Divinity Original sin - it adds some nice graphics enchancement to make this faboulous game looking even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg8b45sAJTo
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    My laptop just came in last night, after getting everything up running the first thing I installed was Divinity :)

Can't wait to play it on my laptop!
  • Jeremy Mitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Mitchell polycounter lvl 6
    Not in the mood for cheeeeeeeeeeese?

My first goal when I get a bit higher level is to sneak in town and backstab that guy. He is worse than the annoying preacher in Windhelm in Skyrim.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    My first goal when I get a bit higher level is to sneak in town and backstab that guy. He is worse than the annoying preacher in Windhelm in Skyrim.

Noway, that preacher is fucking awful. I have killed him on every playthrough on Skyrim I have done... hahaha :P
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    kobol72 wrote: »
    Check this Sweetfx mod for Divinity Original sin - it adds some nice graphics enchancement to make this faboulous game looking even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg8b45sAJTo

"Sharpens anti-aliased edges"

Face straight down to my desk and into my palm. So bad it reversed everything and made me palmface.

ANYWAY, this game looks just like the shot I need. Now to finish a couple more games in my backlog, can't wait to get into this.
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I highly recommend everyone watches this short vid on what NOT to do with character builds. Also talks about how many points you have at 20, so you can plan a full character well in advance.

Divinity: Original Sin - Character Build Guides - What NOT To Do - YouTube

This video really helped me out.
  • Harbinger
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    LOVE the game so far, and I'm glad to see a bit of a renaissance with turn-based RPG's (Wasteland 2 and Divinity coming along soon). The sense of humor that game has is great too, some of the stuff makes me laugh out loud. Huge props to the dev team!

In the future I hope some of the small kinks and annoyances get worked out though. Inventory management and selling is more of a chore than it should be. Lockpicking seems kind of pointless when I can just bash most chests in. Item durability, which only really affects weapons, is kind of an outdated and pointless mechanic. Also, I think environmental/elemental effects triggered from combat need to despawn as soon as combat is over. Every time my ice elementals die I have ice spread all over the place, and my whole party just keeps tripping and falling all over the place.

Still, it's super fun and refreshing, and the pace of updates and patches is fantastic. Congrats on the game Ravenslayer!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger wrote: »
    Also, I think environmental/elemental effects triggered from combat need to despawn as soon as combat is over. Every time my ice elementals die I have ice spread all over the place, and my whole party just keeps tripping and falling all over the place.

I actually like that it remains. It's a reminder of how we wrecked the battlefield... it's actually a place where combat happened.

You can use an archer with a flame arrow or a pyro with Fireball or Flare to clean up ice.

Also, it's great to have a Hydro with Rain to clean up all the fire, poison, and oil off the field.

I have a full mage and a battle-mage, between the two have access to every spell school in the game: Pyro, Hydro, Aero, Geo, and Witch.

My battle-mage uses Pyro and Hydro, and my mage uses Aero, Geo, and Witch. These compliment each other so the two characters can cast sequential spells to wreck and control the field.

BM casts Rain > Mage casts Lighting spell

or

Mage casts Oil > BM casts Fireball

etc
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Just bought it and started playing, really like it so far - finally a bit of humour and lively environments, slightly remind me of Monkey Island. Anyone catch the Vault 13 reference when choosing our characters?
  • opatetn
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    hahah :D thats one of them!
  • Pancakes
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    Well videogames in general have very bad stories. Even the most well regarded stories in games are still not that great. Like Portal 2 has one of the best stories for a videogame but it still is not that great of one. It just that people are really bad at telling stories in games and most times they rely too heavily on tropes and lore. RPGs are especially bad in that department.

you've just been playing the wrong games

sorry bout that

RPG/Games with brilliant story telling:

Breath of Fire III - IMO, this game has the most heroic story. The climax isn't the boss fight, but a leap of faith where you put the lives of all your friends on the line for the sake of the journey that has nothing to do with saving the world or stopping any imminent threat. Would you put every friend you've ever known's life on the line for a leap of faith? It takes balls of steel to do what the protagonist does in this game.

Dragon Quest V : Hand of the Heavenly Bride - I get goosebumps just thinking back on the story. It's a story where the protagonist is thought to be the chosen one when he is a boy. Only to get older and to find out that he is not the chosen one. In that way he suffers the same heart breaking frustration that his father did. It's very interesting to see how everyone's attention instantly shifts away from him and onto someone else after the discovery. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. Let's not even get to the shaft. Of how one total badass does what he has to do, with courage, perseverance, and humility. ^^

Other great ones:
    Persona 4
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    Borderlands 2
    Dragon Quest IX: Sentinel of the Starry Skies
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Couldn't find a key so ended up burning down the door as a wizard XD wish it was 4 player coop
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    you can play 4player coop, the host only has to edit one file with a hex editor
    google it
    works fine
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    you can play 4player coop, the host only has to edit one file with a hex editor
    google it
    works fine

Read about this today. Gonna try it soon hopefully :) Also awesome work Raven and the team.