Home General Discussion

Beta admissions via Pre-orders

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Torch interpolator
Hey all, spoke about this in the monthly noob challenge skype group and thought I would ask here as well as it brought up some interesting debate. I've noticed a lot more games are starting to offer early admission to beta (and in some cases, even alpha) if the customer pre-orders the game first, some examples being Destiny, EQ Next or Archeage.

I don't really have an issue with companies offering a beta invite to people paying for the game before launch, although personally I would rather wait until launch to play the game for a number of reasons, e.g. experiencing the content for the first time and (hopefully) when more bugs have been ironed out. However, I can understand if people want a sneak peek or to have some experience of the mechanics or gameplay before hand.

Anyway, would be cool to hear what you guys think and if you prefer to get a peek at the game in its pre-release phase or prefer to opt out and wait for launch :)

Replies

• NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I think it's a great thing to be honest. Some people have a problem with paying for an "unfinished product" but getting access to an otherwise closed alpha/beta means that I'll be able to provide input directly or indirectly (through providing statistics) to developers who can then make changes to a game before it launches thus making the experience more enjoyable and more consistent for all players.

I know Valve tends to offer a "Beta" client for some of their more popular titles in which they push updates frequently to test certain changes before forcing everybody to adopt the changes, and it has always worked great because many people who have already paid for the game would like to see it improve and so they spend time providing feedback through the beta.

I think the hate for this kind of thing stems from the belief that an individual's feedback may go "unnoticed." In a very popular game like Battlefield for example, a single person's statistics/ideas mean less than when compared to a single person's statistics/ideas in a smaller indie title.

There's also the fact that services like Steam Early Access have earned a negative reputation through previous scam attempts from scumbag "developers" and the fact that sometimes an unfinished game in Early Access will cost more than the final release.

Still, I enjoy seeing how much a game can change from Alpha/Beta to the final release and I have yet to pay for an Alpha/Beta that has disappointed me.

I'm fine with testing any kind of multiplayer experience, but I made the mistake of buying Betrayer far before it's release. Betrayer is a very unique game and definitely worth the money, but throughout the Alpha/Beta there would be many necessary save wipes meaning one would have to start over. It's to be expected and I got to provide some direct feedback which was nice, but by release players basically got to experience more than half the full game which makes the first "true" playthrough a lot less memorable.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I'm fine with having Pre-order, Early Access and stuff as options.
    But, damn, I miss the old days of getting free Demos BEFORE the games come out.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    anyone want a beta key for ps4?

Fireteam Code for PS4: AN5L-HCN7-G82B
    Fireteam Code for PS4: 5E89-RGNN-QJ59
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Man i wish i could grab your codes but don't even know where to enter them, LOL...
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    @Xoliul

Redeem the codes in here
    https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/liquid/confirm-sso!input.action

Or in your PSN Store go all the way on the left, to the bottom, there is a redeem code.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Oh well, all taken.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    My brother has 2 more. Let me ping him and i'll send them your way on PM.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Beta testing used to be a paid gig. Then it was a free thing. Now it's a you-pay thing. Lol.

This sums it up nicely
    http://0.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/41/53/69c05d3aef6aa58977e6061e714dc90c.jpg
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    @Xoliul

Sent ya another code. This time EU. Let me know if it works.

As far as the paid thing... i thought Destiny had the whole thing where if you were PS+ member you had access to the beta.

I got into the alpha for free, and it sold me on the game so i prepurchased it. I don't really appreciate the fact of preorder bonuses. but i do appreciate good games.