Home General Discussion

A few questions on using other peoples concepts

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Abidus polycounter lvl 10
I'm putting together my first 3D game art portfolio, and while I do create my own concepts and model those, I also (like many people) enjoy modelling other people's concept art. I always give credit to the artist when I share my work on forums like this one, but I'm wondering what the commonly accepted etiquette is for work featured on portfolios.

Two questions:

1 - Is it frowned upon by employers in the industry to feature many models based on concepts by other people?

2 - Am I expected to contact the artist responsible for the concept and ask for their permission to put the work I did up on my portfolio? or is skipping and just crediting them for the concept acceptable?

Apologies if these come across as stupid questions, but I'd rather be sure than not.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    1. do you want to be a concepter or a 3d artist? or both?

both is rare, so pick one. in production you will almost always work with other peoples concepts. showing you can bring them to life is really valuable.

2. yes, or the least you could do is give him credit. but asking doesn't hurt.
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    I guess that makes sense. Thanks!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I suppose just crediting them is quite fine. Though I prefer to contact them and get their permissions. It's better that way. More formal, and more professional. You can also get extra exposure that way if the concept artists really like what you do, and they can help sharing your work on social media. If you do such a great job, they will remember you and you might get extra works, or networking, or friends. And that's why I always contact them first. Especially if I can find them on Facebook.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    1. No it's not frowned upon. Actually it's kind of cool to see if you nail the concept really well. It's like Character Artists nailing a likeness. It's really hard to do, but when they do it the employer can see that the person will have no issues with likeness.

That said do a mix of your own stuff and recreations of concepts. It'll show you have ideas but can also play by the rules with others concepts.

2. What Neox said.
  • Clos3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    You don't have to contact the owner of the concept, but is common practice and polite, is the least you can do:)

However, let's say the ''owner'' refuse and ask you to take it off, you don't legally have to : as long as you don't generate money or prints out of it.

And of course, on your website, always give credits to the owner.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    As Clos3d said, as long as you don't make any money, it is all fine. (And of course credit the guy but that is common sense)
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Abidus wrote: »
    2 - Am I expected to contact the artist responsible for the concept and ask for their permission to put the work I did up on my portfolio? or is skipping and just crediting them for the concept acceptable?
    You're probably not gonna get in trouble if you just give credit.

If you do make the effort to get in touch though, it can be valuable. Most concept artists will be happy to see their work put to use. And the opportunity for networking and cross-linking means you can both get more eyes on your stuff. Why not? :)