Home General Discussion

using blender for freelance

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
rino polycounter lvl 11
anyone tried it? and how does it compare to 3ds max? i'm using 3ds max and zbrush right now and 3ds max is just too expensive for me to keep paying for it when blender has it all.

if you are using it, have you run into any issues with clients or something like that?

Replies

• ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    They don't care in what software you are working on as long as they are getting proper results,unless they specify that you have to work in that software because of their engine and stuff....
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    ivanzu wrote: »
    unless they specify that you have to work in that software because of their engine and stuff....

thats why i'm asking.
  • sargentcrunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sargentcrunch polycounter lvl 10
  • liquidape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do. Works fine. Nobody besides me knows I use Blender. Never been a problem, they are always happy with my work. Frequently I get raised eye-browse because my work is of a higher quality than they were expecting.

Probably depends on what you are doing. I am just providing finished video assets for commercials, so there won't be a lot of format incompatibility issues. If they are using FBX a lot you might run into trouble. I've actually had way more trouble with gimp as a replacement to PS than Blender as replacement to maya/max. (Krita has been a savior - it's the only one that deals with PS smart layers okay).
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    liquidape wrote: »
    I do. Works fine. Nobody besides me knows I use Blender. Never been a problem, they are always happy with my work. Frequently I get raised eye-browse because my work is of a higher quality than they were expecting.

Probably depends on what you are doing. I am just providing finished video assets for commercials, so there won't be a lot of format incompatibility issues. If they are using FBX a lot you might run into trouble. I've actually had way more trouble with gimp as a replacement to PS than Blender as replacement to maya/max. (Krita has been a savior - it's the only one that deals with PS smart layers okay).

Blender FBX is so much better since the recent update, I have not have any problems with it. Or at least no more problems than I would with 3ds max or maya FBX exporter
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    liquidape wrote: »

thank you for responding, that's great news. i don't mind photoshop, it's reasonably priced as opposed to 3ds max.

i'm hoping character and hard surface guys would join the discussion too.

again thanks.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larger studios will typically want you to deliver your files in Max or Maya scene format. A simple FBX or OBJ usually won't cut it for more advanced stuff (like highpoly subd and the like). Generally studios will want you to set up your scene in a specific manner in a specific app, bake in a specific way, name the files in a specific way so that it works with their exporter etc. So I wouldn't get my hopes up that blender can replace Max/Maya for freelance work. Most studios will want a file that is easy to edit with thier in house software if they need to make changes.

I've used modo extensively for my high/low/uvs, but deliverable files have always been in Max or Maya.

Though again it depends on the studio, smaller/indie studios are probably fine with getting objs from blender.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Larger studios will typically want you to deliver your files in Max or Maya scene format. A simple FBX or OBJ usually won't cut it for more advanced stuff (like highpoly subd and the like). Generally studios will want you to set up your scene in a specific manner in a specific app, bake in a specific way, name the files in a specific way so that it works with their exporter etc. So I wouldn't get my hopes up that blender can replace Max/Maya for freelance work. Most studios will want a file that is easy to edit with thier in house software if they need to make changes.

I've used modo extensively for my high/low/uvs, but deliverable files have always been in Max or Maya.

Though again it depends on the studio, smaller/indie studios are probably fine with getting objs from blender.

aw damn. i guess no switching to blender. thanks for responding, helps a lot.