Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Halo UNSC Comm Tower - Continued

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
Hello everyone,

Here's my UNSC Communication Tower from the May environment challenge. A little late I know, but these past few months have been crazy for me. The original concept is by Josh Kao and can be found here.

I'm looking for any critique anybody can give me before I begin texturing.

Thanks! :D

Aaron_Fowler_UNSCCommTower.png

Aaron_Fowler_UNSCCommTower_Wires.png

Aaron_Fowler_UNSCCommTower_Normal.png

Replies

• Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Looking at this again, should I redo the cable from the main antenna to the base?

Any feedback I could get would be very much appreciated! I'm open to criticism. I've just looked at this for so long that I can't see the flaws anymore. So I'm bringing it the community. :)

Please help me out a little bit. I just want to get better as an artist! Is it too difficult to make out?

Thanks!
  • Slave_zero
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    A few things that come to my mind when looking at your bake and the asset in general:

Your polydestribution is abit of in some areas. The cylinders at the top have the same amount of edges like the base cylinder, although the bottom one is much larger and closer to the player. So you could reduce the caps of the upper cylinders a bit especially when their radius is decreasing from edgeloop to edgeloop. You also could increase the caps of the base cylinder, as in your first render the viewer can see some edginess, although the camera is not even at a close-up distance, so basicle the effect will increase once a player would stand directly infornt of the asset and look down.
    But don't overdo it with reducing geometry on cylinders as this might have negative effects on your bakes from certain angles (edginess) You can counter / reduce such effects by adding an edgeloop on sharp corners or do bevel / chamfer on those 90 degree angles that are close to the player.

How many triangles do you have spent on the asset at the moment?
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the response and critique Slave_zero. The tower is currently at 7,576 tris.

My reasoning for keeping the topology a little bit higher for the main antenna, at the top was I figured it would be more of a focal point than the bottom cylinder would be. Of course if this was actually in game I could see where the bottom could have more of a focus.

I'm all about reducing waviness, so do you think I should just try and get rid of the waviness by adding more geometry to the bottom cylinder and leave the top as it is? Or do you think I should go ahead and reduce the geometry at the top as well? I'm afraid if I do it will start getting wavy as well. But I understand in general that larger parts should have more geometry than smaller parts.

Thoughts?

Here's the wire frame on the low poly without the normal map applied. Hopefully it's easier to see now.

Aaron_Fowler_UNSCCommTower_Wires2.png
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Base textures via dDo! Any feedback is appreciated! :)

Aaron_Fowler_UNSC_Comm_Tower.png

Albedo Map:
    p54xGXf.png

Normal Map:
    xRZTvYK.png

Micro surface Map:
    D9Dc0cG.png

Spec Map:
    66xyV7e.png
  • Goten-trunk
    Offline / Send Message
    Goten-trunk polycounter lvl 12
    looking good and bakes are perfect keep doing :)
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    came out great! i have one critique though.

the two cylinder objects at the bottom back of the tower look like they are just being smashed into the model, if i were you i would try to make it so that they looked plugged in with some additional geo/highpoly work.
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you Goten-trunk, Saferdan, and ae. :)

ae. I see what you mean. I'll work on it some more this afternoon when I get off work and post an update.

Cheers!
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Here's an updated version of the backside.

Does it look more like it could be plugged in now instead of just clipping into the mesh?

hb2fbjV.png
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    yeah looks better, also make sure that black wire is plugging into something aswell ;P