UTMC - Culture Shock

wez
wez
"For those willing to build a mountain of bones and climb to the top
In environments that stun
Against ai that kills
For those willing to stake their lives in pursuit of victory
We salute you"

I will likely do a few themes so making a thread for myself. I am so hyped up that we get a chance to design for an Unreal Tournament as it is the reason I became an environment concept artist int he first place :)

~
WEZ
Concept Artist
http://www.artofwez.com/

Replies

• wez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wez
    Jg8niyK.jpgWork in progress of a theme called "Space-Castle Graveyard"

The idea is an world where space castles are always falling from the sky(Would be awesome if someone could pull off space castles falling mid gameplay in far background for it) levels could have several castles smashed together.

For manmade enviroments after doodling I start usually in google sketch up or modo making a quick base model like this to paint over :).
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Very cool idea!
  • Mariyan-Hristov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mariyan-Hristov polycounter lvl 5
    Really cool idea indeed. I just saw your work on your website, I'm really impressed, can't wait to see the final design :)
  • wez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wez
    Thank you guys, you rock ;_;

Here is a work in progress.

9nAN4Lv.jpg

Just worked out the general mood(minus warm lighting around castle) and some photo textures. Usually around this stage it looks like a Dreamscast game at most, by the time I am done should hopefully get around to looking next genish. :)
  • osed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osed polycounter lvl 4
  • wez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wez
    Thanks Osed :)

Here is the final look of the Spacecastle Graveyard

0RbFipP.jpg

My favorite Unreal games UT2004 and Unreal Championship 2 had a feeling of wonder in a lot of their environments that I wanted to bring back in this one.

It would be cool if an environment artist could have castles falling in the sky mid battle :)

Onto the next one
  • Delofasht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This has a crazy feel, there is a fair amount of repeating geometry and the sense of space is awesome too. I think the theme of the checkboard floor clashes with the almost maze pattern on the ceiling and walls. I really dig the color though, feels like a dangerous area for certain.
  • Aperson4321
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Utterly magical!

The falling castle stuff would be really cool, if it was synched to the combat round time so when a time out occured, then the castle hits the ground at the same time, making it clear to the players that they better hurry up the killing before they slam into the ground!
  • Brandon_DS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon_DS polycounter lvl 3
    I love your process keep it up!
  • Thatscrawnykid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thatscrawnykid polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice! One nitpick though you can see the stars through some of the solid surfaces. I love the texture work, did you apply them in 3d first then move into photoshop?
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Love the colours and atmosphere in this piece, the floor reminds me of a chess game, which leads my thoughts that it might be cool to have some statues by the wall or one as a focal point?
  • wez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wez
    Thank you so much for the complements and feedback :)

I wanted the chessboard to be sort of the balance in the chaos, that is a awesome idea to add a statue as one of the Focal points Sharvo I may see what I can do :). And sprry about the starts going through some things I will have to look around and cover what I see!

@Scrawny Kid: I do a mix, when I can I like to apply basic textures in sketch up,that way I can push and pull features out of texture that catch my eye to become part of the design.
  • Berg625
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this could work really well and it would feel pretty fresh and new.

Imagine always feeling the sense of danger, your adrenaline is always high due to it and you have to be careful because the castle your on can go "boom" or get demolished/destroyed in other ways and you can die as a result.

So you have to super jump (either through jump pads or some other mechanism) to the next castle before the previous one goes "boom".

Rinse and repeat, creating constant tension all around.

The checker's style ground is fine....if the map would have multiple different ground textures so all of the castle's don't look the same (ground wise), Maybe another would have large red carpet or just plain concrete, and more.

Good Job.
  • JackNelson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wez wrote: »
    My favorite Unreal games UT2004 and Unreal Championship 2 had a feeling of wonder in a lot of their environments that I wanted to bring back in this one.

It would be cool if an environment artist could have castles falling in the sky mid battle :)

Onto the next one

Hey dude. UT2004 is my favourite game of all time basically haha. Epic did an amazing job with that game in pretty much every aspect.

I definitely see the inspiration from that game in this so far, keep up the good work :)