Home General Discussion

UT Master Challenge // Conceptart and UT business model?

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
So i`ve seen the announcement being passed around on fb and saw the issue being raised of this being a "free labour" challenge.

Instead of keeping it rumors and rants on social media maybe we could have a topic with some clarification on Epics business model for UT and how you`re justifying this contest? Will UT be a 100% free game (which would make it less of an issue) or will there be money made off of it (free to play with micro transactions?)

First of all let me say , i`ve entered a lot of PC contests so far. I never care about the prices as long as its a cool theme and i have the time then i`m in (like i`m doing with Blood/Petrol).

But in the scenario of it not being a free game you`re asking people to actually do design work for a commercial game without real compensation or the chance of actual compensation when someone wins (like the dota challenges had).

Now numerous students will jump at this and there might be some great entries but i don`t think there will be a lot of working professionals entering this contest and that would be a shame.

Anyway i won`t be entering this contest since i have my hands full already with petrol blood, but i`d hate to see this thing blow out of proportion on social media like a lot of things do these days when it could be resolved with one simple post explaining the situation.

also please don`t shoot the messenger :P i will always love you greentooth

Replies

• NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure UT4 will be 100% free. Users with an active UE4 subscription will be able to make content and monetize it themselves, similar to what can be seen in TF2 or Dota 2.
  • WarrenM
    NegevPro has it. The business model is that UT is free.

It's being developed with the community and by the community with our guidance.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    That should really be mentioned in the brief, or people get the wrong idea!
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    This idea that simply doing art for a game is enough compensation for an artist is dangerous.
  • CrackRockSteady
    ^^ I agree with this sentiment.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    This idea that simply doing art for a game is enough compensation for an artist is dangerous.

Definitely agree with that. But this game is a strange situation because it's kind of a crowd-sourced community-created and driven game. Or at least that's their goal. They are just trying to encourage more people to participate in their open dev. Weird? yes. Potential for exploitation? Yes. Are they doing it in good faith? So far.
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    ZacD wrote: »
    Definitely agree with that. But this game is a strange situation because it's kind of a crowd-sourced community-created and driven game. Or at least that's their goal. They are just trying to encourage more people to participate in their open dev. Weird? yes. Potential for exploitation? Yes. Are they doing it in good faith? So far.

While this does seems like a gray area it is still reflective of an extremely alarming trend that is rising with the whole crowd-source revolution of enterprises deeming the work someone puts into a project enough reward in itself. Artist that participate in such practices must understand that outside the immediate benefit of exposure they may be doing great harm in the long term to their future careers as well as the careers of their peers. Expect to see more companies in the future hiding behind the shroud of 'community driven' as a chance to get free labor. We need to be careful where this road is leading.
  • CrackRockSteady
    While this does seems like a gray area it is still reflective of an extremely alarming trend that is rising with the whole crowd-source revolution of enterprises deeming the work someone puts into a project enough reward in itself. Artist that participate in such practices must understand that outside the immediate benefit of exposure they may be doing great harm in the long term to their future careers as well as the careers of their peers. Expect to see more companies in the future hiding behind the shroud of 'community driven' as a chance to get free labor. We need to be careful where this road is leading.

Was just having this same discussion with a colleague. Granted I'm eternally cynical, but in an industry that is notorious for exploiting talent, when I see this type of trend I assume the worst instead of adopting a 'best intentions' viewpoint.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    "All entries that Epic chooses as a winner will receive a round of feedback from Chris Perna, Art Director at Epic Games. You will then have the opportunity to produce a few more concepts to fully flesh out your vision for the theme or level."

So does Epic expect the winner to crank out more concept art for free?

I think this contest is really cool and exciting, but the way it is presented by Epic is a tad odd.

I never participate in a contest solely for the point of reaping rewards. I find it as a fun way to do something different.

That being said, "the opportunity to produce a few more concepts to fully flesh out your vision for the theme or level" seems like clever wording for something ulterior.

I don't think Epic would be seeking to take advantage of people, but perhaps its presentation needs adjustment.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm. I guess on the flip-side, how do younger artists/students (such as myself) find their way into such a highly competitive industry then? Especially if we're not in one of the industry hot-spots.

Here's my view (may be completely wrong so please correct me!!)

If I don't have a job, I need to constantly be working on portfolio pieces to reach the level of a lot of the guys here on Polycount/Artstation. Lets say that there is a competition that is like an environment challenge and has super cool sci-fi requirements. If I'm trying to add an environment to my portfolio, why wouldn't I do the challenge?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah, I wish Epic was at a point with Unreal Tournament where they could so Steam Workshop type item sales like with TF2/Dota. Maybe allow concept artists to submit work, approve concepts for the initial release, allow 3d artist to model them, and they both get a cut of future sales.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Hmm. I guess on the flip-side, how do younger artists/students (such as myself) find their way into such a highly competitive industry then?
    What do you mean how?

They build a portfolio of personal work like they've always done...
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Well what I wrote right below that is that if I'm building a portfolio anyways and see one of these competitions AND it fits the style I'm interested in, why wouldn't I enter/join? I'm not in the game industry yet (hopefully one day) but it seems like any competition experience or anything helps.

I could just be naive too..

Edit: Back on topic. Overall, It'll be cool to have a foundation (as others have said) to build mods. Recently, it seems like there hasn't been any good modern/sci-fi FPS's to mod with good editors (definitely not hammer). It'll be cool to have a game out that's easier to mod.
  • WarrenM
    That being said, "the opportunity to produce a few more concepts to fully flesh out your vision for the theme or level" seems like clever wording for something ulterior.

I don't think Epic would be seeking to take advantage of people, but perhaps its presentation needs adjustment.
    Perhaps that was clumsily worded.

The idea behind that is that one drawing is rarely enough to fully express a design or theme. So one of the rewards would be to iterate with our art director and then produce a few more drawings, if you want to, in order to fully flesh out your designs and ideas.

You know, or don't. :) It's up to you.

To professional artists who already have an art director, that's probably not that enticing but for someone young trying to get into the industry it could be a bigger deal.
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I'm pretty sure they have said that it will not be a F2P "micro transactions" model. My understanding was that it was just going to be completely free.
  • James Ordner
    I think in this specific case with UT, it's a different idea than what y'all are citing as crowd sourced projects. In this case, unlike most crowd sourced projects, the community will actually have full access to the final project. Not just the game, but all code/art/etc. So you're contributing to something that is, in a non-legal sense, yours.
  • synicalx
    Tobbo wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they have said that it will not be a F2P "micro transactions" model. My understanding was that it was just going to be completely free.

From this Polygon article/interview with Steve Polge, apparently there will be no microtransactions;
    Epic's decision to build the game in public isn't the only change that reflects the passage of time. Unreal Tournament will be free — but not free-to-play, according to the developer.

"Free means free — no microtransactions," he said. "Just free."
  • Pancakes
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    I started out with Blender game engine. And I more or less understand what Epic is trying to do. In blender community, people freely give each other code snippets and scripts for helping each other develop games in blender all the time. "Here's my control script dude". "Well here's my rig home slice", and "You can use some of my old vegetation brutha from another mutha" and so on.

I really agree with Epic's practices so far. As eventually producing games will be something that the people will take back from the mega studios with the new technology and tools and stuff like you see in Unreal 4 making it more and more possible for smaller teams to do incredible stuff without breaking the bank.

But much like trying to extend a helping hand to a random stranger in a prison yard, even though it's the nice thing to do, it can come off as awkward and suspicious, BECAUSE it is the nice thing to do.

And for that, I'm going want to be keeping my eye on you Epic. Take that whatever way you will.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Pancakes wrote: »
    I started out with Blender game engine. And I more or less understand what Epic is trying to do. In blender community, people freely give each other code snippets and scripts for helping each other develop games in blender all the time. "Here's my control script dude". "Well here's my rig home slice", and "You can use some of my old vegetation brutha from another mutha" and so on.

The unreal community has actually always been like this - it's one of the reasons it's been so successful :)
  • chris.perna
    Hi guys, my name is Chris Perna and I’m the Art Director at Epic Games.

I’d like to try and address some of the discussion about this concept art challenge.

Let me start by trying to explain our intent.

UT has always been a game driven by the community. Most of the best content has come from guys working hard on their own or with teams outside of Epic to produce amazing mods and add-ons. A lot of people working at Epic Games, including myself, started in the mod community making content for free, in our spare time.

This new Unreal Tournament game is our way to try to give something back.

I absolutely understand your concerns. As an artist myself I’ve been agonizing over how to reward contributors and we have discussed multiple options internally.

One question keeps coming to mind: How do we decide who gets paid and who doesn’t?

Choosing not to offer a cash reward to winners was a difficult decision on many levels and we’ve thought long and hard about it.

We know that this situation is not ideal for everyone.

We understand your concerns and welcome practical, well-thought-out solutions. If you have them, please share. I promise we will listen.

This will be a FREE game. NOT free-to-play. Just free. Period.

We are working as an extremely small (and excited) team in-house.

This is a community centered collaboration, and when it succeeds then the community will benefit. We are merely the facilitators. We will set up the infrastructure that allows it to “exist.”

You will make it “real.”

Our plan for Unreal Tournament is to eventually put up a Steam Workshop-style Marketplace where the community will be able to sell content for the game. The content creators will make the lion’s share of those transactions, and Epic will make the minority.

This isn’t a developer trick to get work for free. We are simply asking you to contribute if you like the idea.

No pressure.

There are some prizes, credit will be given, exposure, etc.

From my point of view this is a community outreach challenge that is trying to kick off something groundbreaking; a game developed in conjunction with the creative community. The idea is to allow people who wouldn’t normally get the chance to contribute and join in something that could be amazing.

This is a learning process for us and we will fall down a few times before we learn to walk.

Please be patient as we’ve never done this before.

We welcome input and suggestions as to how we can make the process fair for everyone.

-Chris
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Our plan for Unreal Tournament is to eventually put up a Steam Workshop-style Marketplace where the community will be able to sell content for the game. The content creators will make the lion’s share of those transactions, and Epic will make the minority.

Thanks for coming here Chris and directly addressing the community.

As for content being micro transaction based for the steam workshop style store. I just want your input as to how this is fair to the content creators, who did the rest of the game. In order to have that solid base for the store to work off a hell of a lot of hard work needs to be put into the game and it doesn't seem right that i could waltz in at the end being a professional and make higher quality assets (hypothetically speaking) and take a lions share of the profits.

I also want to know how you plan on addressing game credits, as to me it seems like there needs to be some sort of crediting procedure needs to be firmly put in place. Some game companies have trouble with credits and that's just internal!

But again thanks for your input!
  • Pancakes
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »

As for content being micro transaction based for the steam workshop style store. I just want your input as to how this is fair to the content creators, who did the rest of the game. In order to have that solid base for the store to work off a hell of a lot of hard work needs to be put into the game and it doesn't seem right that i could waltz in at the end being a professional and make higher quality assets (hypothetically speaking) and take a lions share of the profits.

I also want to know how you plan on addressing game credits, as to me it seems like there needs to be some sort of crediting procedure needs to be firmly put in place. Some game companies have trouble with credits and that's just internal!

No matter what, the guy with the higher quality assets is the one more likely to get the jobs and the pay that goes along with the jobs anyway. My understanding is that it isn't Epic's job to protect contributors to a voluntary project from competition.
  • chris.perna
    Hey Muzz,

I'll try and answer as best I can. We are still working out the details for our version of the workshop. The idea is that it will be a place for the UT community to interact and monetize their content. I'm not sure about details. I do know that content creators will take the larger percentage of the transaction while Epic will get the minority.

As far as credit goes we will keep track of everyone who contributes usable content that is released with the core game. They will get credit for what they do.

As far as fairness goes that's more of a question for the community. We are open to all suggestions.

We will try our best to build the game with the help of the community. We have an extremely small but talented internal team working on this. We are asking the community to help us design and build the game.

The grand vision is that what we build together can be used as a vehicle to drive individuals and teams to create mods and content they can profit from. We succeed only when you do.

This is also a chance for fans of the UT franchise and aspiring game designers and content creators to work hand in hand, have unprecedented access to, and form lasting relationships with developers here at Epic and around community.

We understand this isn't for everyone. We don't have all the answers. We will make some mistakes. Please be patient. It will be worth it.

-Chris
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe a possible solution for fairness of the store is to make part of the profits part of a global kitty that goes out to contributors?
  • Pancakes
    Offline / Send Message
    You are basically doing what I thought Notch should have done with Minecraft. One of the main differences, however, is that Notch created the game himself, in this case the community is largely responsible for making the game.

To be honest, the only problem I see with what you guys are doing is that you are trying to make too specific of a game. Instead you should try to make a giant interactive virtual playground which can act as a "guided" canvas for modders, sort of like what Minecraft or Skyrim are for their modders, minus the specifics of Skyrim's story and lore of course. This way, volunetters can add procedurarlly to the overall backbone of the overall world. And everything they contribute will be much more reusable and flexible in that sort of context.

For example, I know you guys have had intense discussions over things such as to double jump, or not to double jump Because in a FPS, PARTICULARLY a multiplayer FPS, movement, control, etc ARE the gameplay, in a way that is different than a Minecraft or a Skyrim. Where in some mods you are given permission to fly, and in others you aren't. And sometimes you are given permission to fly in certain zones of one mod, but not in other zones. In a UT game, the majority of people who mod it will end up rewriting many of the design choices the original volunteers have made instead of simply layering on top of what's already there the way that Minecraft, Skyrim, and Torchlight 2 modders tend to do.

I don't think a UT game made by a bunch of people without centralized leadership is going to satisfy ANYONE, so far as the original product is concerned. That's why I think you shouldn't even aim to satisfy anyone, but instead create a game that is a framework for inspiring modders.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Good thing about outsourcing a sequel is that if all else fails do what the best one did.

But yes it will be interesting to see how community influence plays into high level play.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Muzz wrote: »

One way of supporting the early contributors could be doing it like project spark, give everyone a percentage on all created maps for instance. So if a map with this setting gets created and sold, give the original artist/s a share. Every time a mapmaker uses premade models, give the original artist/s of these models a share. This will be highly complicated, one would have to look how exactly they do it in spark, but it would be the most fair approach.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the clarifications chris! Its great how you guys are doing this community development approach with such an established franchise as UT.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's pretty much what i was thinking neox.

They really need a fully tracked application that you submit assets through automatically giving full attribution. I can see so much going wrong without a proper system like that.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Pancakes wrote: »
    I don't think a UT game made by a bunch of people without centralized leadership is going to satisfy ANYONE, so far as the original product is concerned. That's why I think you shouldn't even aim to satisfy anyone, but instead create a game that is a framework for inspiring modders.
    I'd have to disagree with this part. Ultimately, players will be the ones to figure out what is best for the game.

Counter-Strike is a great example of this because if you look at the history of the game in the last 10 years, basically any time Valve tries to fix something on their own without player input, they end up ruining the game to the point where it's unplayable until the next update rolls around to fix the issue (or until users manually come in and solve the problem.)

This can be seen as recent as two days ago when the new update dropped since Valve decided to buff a pistol (the Tec9) and it is now overpowered and ruining competitive gameplay.

In the Counter-Strike community, there are players that are so dedicated to the point where they spend many months, if not years, testing, experimenting, and researching different ways to tweak the game to make it better, and a lot of the time, they end up coming up with some great ideas that end up making it into the game.

I think this move by Epic is incredible and it could be the competitive shooter that many people have been waiting many years for. My only real concern is about the monetization. Modding in UT is amazing because anybody can make anything they want. If somebody makes an awesome custom map, then everybody can just join the server and have a blast. I feel as if that will be taken away if monetized because everybody will want to make money off the new system and so I'm sure most maps will end up having a pricetag attached to them.
  • WarrenM
    Negev

That interests me too and I'm curious as to how that will shake out. Ultimately, I think the community will self regulate in that regard. If level designers find that charging too much for their maps means nobody plays them, then prices will come down. Or go free.

Or the more popular mods might package up "pro" versions and sell them but keep the casual versions free.

Who knows! It's exciting to think about though...
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    One thing I've been wondering overall about the whole project, not just this comp. Is how Epic is going to organize everyone;

How big or small are the aspects of UT that the community is going to be involved with?

Even just the basics of concepts, assets, setdressing needs an incredible amount of organization and communication between everyone involved. Rather than just people doing random parts of each of these.

Where & what is the organizational platform for this? Is my main thought about this entire UT project.

:)
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Neox wrote: »
    One way of supporting the early contributors could be doing it like project spark, give everyone a percentage on all created maps for instance. So if a map with this setting gets created and sold, give the original artist/s a share. Every time a mapmaker uses premade models, give the original artist/s of these models a share. This will be highly complicated, one would have to look how exactly they do it in spark, but it would be the most fair approach.

+1

Incredibly happy to see this discussion happening and big points to Epic peeps who are listening / talking about this as well.
  • WarrenM
    Even just the basics of concepts, assets, setdressing needs an incredible amount of organization and communication between everyone involved. Rather than just people doing random parts of each of these.

Where & what is the organizational platform for this? Is my main thought about this entire UT project.
    It's all a learning experience. :) I don't know, we have some plans in place and other stuff we're figuring out as we go. Art consistency is a problem that needs addressing but we're not really sure how yet. Once the project is more fully under way it will become more apparent.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I feel like a possible approach could probably be : Epic releases the core canvas for the game, with well defined movement, shooting mechanics and gun types (probably traced over the UDK game demo, with a hint of ut2k3). This canvas would have no fancy art at all - just a couple of abstract, blocked-out (yet highly playable) maps, and reused guns and character models. A "bare minimum" UT, so to speak - with barely any community assets in it at all.

This "UTCore" gets released, for anyone to mess around with as they please ; all the content made for it from there on is community driven (art, maps, guns, gametypes, mods) with Epic making sure that the backend is solid (netcode, server browser, auto-downloader, and so on). At this stage there is still no money involved, and everybody can release anything, just like in the good old days. This approach starting from a very basic game skeleton might also generate more gameplay-oriented content as opposed to mostly decorative art.

But then ... how to even introduce community revenue in this equation ? Maybe the UT workshop will have to be something closer to the Unity asset store (buyers = game devs) which is quite different from the Dota2 store (buyers = players). Dota2 content is very strongly curated by nature, which in turn generates a very cohesive world of user-generated content. And the fact that the assets are curated is actually what makes it work revenue-wise. This appears to be very different from the history of UT and its free user mods, so I wonder if the Dota UGC model is even compatible with UT in the first place ...

Maybe there are some hints to be taken from Second Life ? From what I understand this is yet another successful business model. And then there's also ad revenue ... after all, that's how youtube does it. Maybe there could be ads running on the download page of a model or mod ? That way, there could be two different workshops : The UT Game Community workshop (free game stuff to download for everyone, ad driven) and the Unreal Engine Workshop (game dev content, downloadable for a fee). Anyways, you guys certainly thought about all that and more :)

By the way - is an art contest really necessary ? A big announcement about the future of UT seems enough to get people excited :)
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    WarrenM wrote: »
    It's all a learning experience. :) I don't know, we have some plans in place and other stuff we're figuring out as we go. Art consistency is a problem that needs addressing but we're not really sure how yet. Once the project is more fully under way it will become more apparent.

personally i think a solid artdirection by epic should be the way to go. but maybe thats just me
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I haven't read every single comment here...but i have a thing to say.

Getting your art into a game isnt reward enough and suggesting such is shady. But this isnt whats happening.

Dammit people! Theres a greentooth trophy involved!
    Honestly...this is one redundant DDo liscense short and one game credit up on the average return for a pc contest. And concept needs the lurve around here.