Home General Discussion

question: character dioramas for production?

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
killnpc polycounter
game character artists / art directors,

within a studio production environment, during pre and mid production, i've thought for some time that creating and maintaining a diorama for groups of characters would be beneficial on a directorial level by helping harmonize a group of characters together as well as associated environment set pieces with themed stages and lighting for each game biome.

has anyone created character dioramas for production use? do you think spending project resources to create a character diorama would be worthwhile? what other techniques would you use or have you seen used to unify the whole of a game's art?

Replies

• deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
    They can do it with concept art. In 2D it would be rather cool and worth it but 3D would take too much time and money I think. Thumbnails and postcards are use which can be used to serve the same purpose.

The concepting here throws more light onto the process..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSSMC4O6J8Q"]Building Customizable Characters for Destiny - GDC 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

Note the scene with the guys and the big cat, that's the kind of postcard I am talking about. Stuff like that can be used as directorial aids too.

I hope this was useful.. :)