Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | July 2014 | Multiple Pieces

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
Ideally, the goal is to finish a character within the month, all the way to low-poly game engine ready.

Anyone and Everyone can participate.

PLEASE HELP SPREADING THE WORDS !
Join our Google Hangout [Link]
Come say hi and share screen with everyone else while you work !! Awesome way to learn new technique or workflows.
AB6ta6R.jpg

The goal of these challenges is to learn as much as possible, and to help others do the same. The rules were designed with this goal in mind, so here they are:
1. Try to leave at least one critique per post. It makes you a better artist if you have the ability to give constructive critiques. Just because you're working on a different concept piece, doesn't mean you can't give feedback to others.

2. Challenge yourself.

3. Your final presentation should be posed and rendered in real-time.

4. Try your best to finish on time.

5. Post your work-in-progress in this thread.

6. Specify your own triangle count and texture size. Be reasonable and stick to your budget. Some suggestions are as follows:
Mobile: 2k Triangles, 512 Maps
Mid Res: 16k Triangles, 1024 Maps
High Res: 32k Triangles, 2048 Maps

7. Similar to #6, you may pick an art-style yourself. You are, after all, an artist too. | Realistic, Stylized, Cartoony, etc |

8. Learn as much as you can. Share what you've learned.

For July, we gonna do 3 concept pieces! You can pick any of the three.
Magdalena "len-yan" Pagowska
'Berry Twig' piece
[Middle] Arthur Gimaldinov
'Mech' piece
Darren "fightpunch" Bartley
'Dude 8' piece
w0Z911h.jpg

Good luck. Have fun.

Replies

• IREMIXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THis will be my first challenge, so wish me luck ! im going with the Mech concept lets see how that works out
  • Ape_Errata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugh! I want to do the Bartley one soooo bad... But I just started Petrol/Blood (i may have to backlog this for a personal project later).
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    LETS DO THIS!!!!
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    I'm gonna give the Berry Twig a shot, never tried my hand at something like that before :D
  • MrAwexome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrAwexome polycounter lvl 6
    Might give the middle concept a shot, trying to get back into #D work mode after a weeekend in the cabin with family.
  • R0gu3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super stoked to see this months!
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to take a stab at the mech even though I've never done something that hard edged, going to burn all that birthday energy from yesterday.
  • Alismuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Hmm I should really challenge myself and do Berry Twig!

The Mech looks like fun too though
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Great!
    Might just have the time to make something

Dont know what ill do yet! but i want to see how many people do the concept by fightpunch since its been a favourite choice for a long time. Its a cool concept albeit one that is quite difficult to really get down and model.
  • Silver Spade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really would want to do the right one (the 4-armed cyborg-looking one), though I feel I still need to brush up more on my ZBrush skills... a lot. T.T

I could imagine being able to model the middle one in Maya with relative ease, though the challenge might come in the texturing and mapping (since I lack the skill to texture and map, in which case I might ask for help, but for the most part will attempt to make them solo).

Either way, I'm hyped up about this! :D
  • Jenoku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jenoku polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome stuff! I think I'm going to try my hand at the Mech in the middle since my portfolio is lacking some hard surface characters.
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Itholon polycounter lvl 7
    I am going to model the Mech, Model is rather simple, but texture is the main thing here. The perspective on concept is slightly off, but it´s ok if you don´t lack basic imagination.
    I started the model and these are my thoughts so far, hope it helps someone.
    Xk0wG7U.jpg
    Xk0wG7U
  • Silver Spade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Itholon wrote: »
    I am going to model the Mech, Model is rather simple, but texture is the main thing here. The perspective on concept is slightly off, but it´s ok if you don´t lack basic imagination.
    I started the model and these are my thoughts so far, hope it helps someone.
    Xk0wG7U.jpg

I would agree that those would be wheels I think, or some form of gears that would allow him to rotate the upper/lower half of his body.
  • AA3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    got spare time and would love to participate .
    the dude-8 concept seems like a tough challenge for me . but u never know before u try i guess
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
    I think I might do the lovely little Berry Twig and practice my rigging and animation too! :) Thanks guys
  • 3djester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3djester polycounter lvl 5
    I think for once I'll join to, if I can find the time. I go for the mech then...
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Am i the only one who hates zspheres?! hehe
    id rather go through max ya know
    lol_zps2c82660b.jpg
    A few hours in. Want to finish it by tomorow :) ill be going for the low or med res
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    For the middle section of the mechanical buddy, I think that something similar apply
    IMG_2545edited.jpg
    Wheels can jam where little ball thingies rule! This is a concentric model put a vertical stacked one will work too I think.

PS: I thing that 3 concepts as different in style and complexity is too much for a single month. I 'm not sure , but I think that we aren't enough yet and even if we were, it's not as useful as focusing on a single theme.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, it looks like a thrust bearing.
  • AA3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    lol ... butt_sahib .. my dirty mind saw ur basemesh as something else :D

starting off here ..
    i really dont understand how the 4 arms work ... but it seems like 1 is behind the other in the concept ... not on top of each other as most quad arms concepts usally are ...
    so i took the liberty of giving him something extra on the back ( a jet pack ) where his other 2 arms are coming from it ... i think i can get away with that since he's a cyborg .. like the jet pack is a part of his body .... also i dont want to give it straps ... so not sure if its a good idea like this ... it kinda means his jacket has a hole in the back or something

dude_8_progress_1.jpg
  • Marko Richter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marko Richter polycounter lvl 5
    First time doing a game character challenge. We´ll see with what I end up with :D
    I start off with a rough base model. @butt_sahib: I love ZSpheres ;)
    VtRRD43.jpg
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib wrote: »
    Am i the only one who hates zspheres?! hehe
    id rather go through max ya know
    Then why didnt you use 3ds Max? Anyway I like your model so far. Except the ears shouldnt be so flat. They should be more "caved in".
  • marty87ita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think i'll try making the cat thingy, even if i am a noob
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    So like.. Is my mind playing tricks on me, Or can the mech not move very well as it currently sits because of the entire leg being solid at the knee? Wouldn't it need some sort of way to turn and bend? Hes inferring it with the bolt through the knee, but you can't really see anything on the "shin" that allows it to move?. I changed it and will add the "Shin" part in after, but wanted to just get an opinion, since I am deviating a bit from the concept to make it more viable :P
    OkWitoZ.png
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Gonna have a go at this, started to lock out parts before I start to sculpt.
    OE8pgzs.png

Looking at the concept it seems like the sword arms are totally seperate and that the "shoulder" of those arms starts a little below the pockets, based on their angle they seem a little slanted compared to normal arms so I doubt they have a super sturdy base of attachment. It's not in my blockout yet but I'll try to find a way to connect them with straps and stuff to the mechanical harness on his shoulder.
  • Felixenfeu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 10
    Not doing the challenge, but for those who work on the concept by Fightpunch, pretty sure you can get away with a similar anatomy than these characters :

john-carter-008.jpg

john-carter-alien.jpg

Would make a lot more sense than just pluging a second pair of arms on the back of the character.
  • naptownhero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naptownhero polycounter lvl 4
    Here's my rough draft Block out. I was just going for the silhouette. I haven't decided where I'm taking it next.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    WOW! so much great stuff already :)

butt_sahib: haha, what a wierd way start, runed out great though
    AA3D: Love what your doing! love the cloth work, is that MD?
    Marko Richter: Great start, kind of feel she is missing a neck though, like her head is coming out directly for the torso.

So I started to work on the blockout of the mech, not really satisfied with the proprtions yet, and I think i need to redo some parts, but here is a pic of what I have so far:

WIP_01.png
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Don't know if I'll got the time to finish it...gonna give it a try...
    Here's a WIP...

WIP_ayisanchez.jpg
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started blocking him out
    UfjgwU0.png
  • marty87ita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    end of day1, just getting the general shape of the body
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking lunch break :)
    Will be in hangout after I come back.

1559444_10152514025470115_29764531074300035_o.jpg
  • wolver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the prob with this one is its hard to get a sense of the furs volume when it will be replaced with a billion alphas

u2mTfVf.jpg
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NdGvjaX.png

I'm finding the proportions especially tricky to get right. This is where I'm at so far.

@PyrZern: Nice work so far. Though it feels like maybe his legs are little on the short side?
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wolver: Wow that is looking really good!

Did some work while in the hangout, block out kind of done:

WIP_02.png
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    Today's Progress
    H4InFIb.png
    I haven't done hard poly in awhile, so figuring out how to do the head and the metal along the arms for some reason was kicking my butt. Any tips would be appreciated :P
    It might have been because I had a huge desire to have a lot of things attached together, things went faster when I stopped attempting that.
    Maybe its a limitation of blender, because I felt like I SHOULD be able to do some of the things I was trying, but It just didn't want to work how I expected.
  • fleric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fleric polycounter lvl 6
    Hi every one firstly i would like to say that i liked your models and that this is my first post ever. I will try to model the fox, hope you guys like it looking forward for some critics cheers

e6dea1e1d026dd4668b339633f896bde.JPG
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    @All
    Woah, awesome jobs guys.

I will be joining this one for sure, but have to wait for my laptop to get repaired.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Killer progress, guys !!! Calm down, lol!! This is still the 2nd July. There are 29 more days to go.

<<-- Guilty as well

@Abidus I think so too. I lengthened his legs just a tad now. Great blockout there ! I think she looks a bit like a cat, when she should look a bit like a fox ?

@lotet Keyshot ? Looks very nice. Digging his giant hands ^^

@Mr.Moose Know nothing of Blender, sry <_<

Anyway, I took some liberty and made the guy a little slimmer. His shoulders still a bit too wide though.
    10271429_10152515325925115_2367111844704190596_o.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D: hahah now that i look at the image i see what you mean ;) lol
    Your model looks superb man. Great start. The concept is really vague so you can do whatever you want with it :)

Marko:haha i hate zspheres! i cant be the only one
    Great start. Can really see the volume

Itholon:Thank you ^_^ i did use max (the image on the left was a screenie from max)
    Worked on the ear more

Lotet:Haha thank you good sir! I find it much more comfortable to do this in max than zbrush. Zbrush is scary for me in this respect
    Absolutely lovve your model man. Everything is spot on and the proportions look great! I do think that the pelvic segment should be abit more flat on the front. Love it!
    You should SDK it later :P hehe

Pyrzern:Looks great man! Although i think the jacket/overall should be alot longer. Also why do you have a human head there instead of the helmet?

Wolver:Looks amazing!
    Yeah man alot of alphas :D

Abidus:Looks pretty good man
    The proportions looks good i think. The character is about 4 heads tall and i think if you lined your model up (1.head 2.torso 3.thighs 4.legs) it might look abit better. Keep going! :D

So finished the high and did a polypaint pass inspired by wolver :)
    will be using the high for just the AO. Time for low res action!
    Haz matcap btw
    berry2_zps29ab12de.jpg
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pyrzern I like your model so far, cant wait to see it finished. But the pants could be a little looser on the top.

@butt_sahib The ears are much better, but the eyes should be closer to her mouth, It ill look cuter. Also I think the head could be a bit bigger.

Here is my WIP:
    Pe8Rbew.png?1
  • Marko Richter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much of an update today. I mostely focused on a nice base topolgy and refining the shapes.

lotet: thanks for the neck hint. Sometimes you can´t see the obvious :D
    Itholon: I sense some mesh fusion there, right? I can imagine this is perfect for this job.

JZaxxap.jpg
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Nice job everyone! Keep rockin!
    Here's my WIP for today...

AAB0xHRAao24h0FtQ3gsETCkaMech2WIPayisanchez.jpg
    Mech2WIPayisanchez.jpg
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Marko Richter: Nope, just 3ds Max. And your model looks nice, even proportions are right, only face could be a little flatter. Did you make it in zbrush or something else?
  • Abidus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8ayrpUX.png

This is where I'm at today. Still experimenting with insert meshes + dynamesh for the fur.

edit:
    Did a quick polypaint, in the spirit of butt_sahib and wolver :poly122:

iu6PGNJ.png
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone knows what could this be? It looks like some kind of thrusters, steam release valves or something like that.
    sPrGhvq.jpg
  • Marko Richter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Itholon: Most of the work is done in ZBrush. However I used MODO for some poly tweaking and will also use it for UV.As for the robot, I guess those are 3 pipes coming out of the little "oven-thing".
  • Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Marko Richter: Yeah my friend and I have agreed it is some kind of pipes for steam or some kind of fumes. Unfortunately I suck at Zbrush so I was wondering if you could do something like berry or dude 8 in 3ds Max also.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Wolver, lotet and PyrZern you did a good job so far!

I started with blogging out the basic forms toay... I was trying to nail the propotions. Or at least come somewhat close to nailing them, haha.
    All that character modelling stuff is really new to me, so I have to figure out a good way to do the cloth.
    Will go on and get some more sublevels going and go for some details next. In general I plan to go for something Dota 2 like.
    wip02.png?dl=1
    wip03.png?dl=1
    I hope that I'll be able to finish this.

Critic is welcome :)
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    independ-hans polycounter lvl 13
    I am in this, my Twitch Name is Miragefoxx, so I just choose a cat-fox I is a cool concept. Do I can change the Character to a general or is it part of the challenge to stick to the Design-art direction. Seems like Druid Wizard

I Choose
    Magdalena "len-yan" Pagowska
    'Berry Twig' piece