Home Technical Talk

Crytek Prop Texture Resolution

Hey, I've run into an issue with applying a large texture to a small object. While my source texture has clearly legible text, and exports into a clear and easy to look at dds, once applied in the engine, I get rasterized low rez soup. Basically it looks like it's using a texture 1/16th the size of the original. While I admit thats a pretty handy self-adjustment, while the prop I have is small, it's also a gun sight, so will remain at very prominent and close position to the camera. I applied the same texture to a meter cube solid I made, and the texture was just fine, but when the only thing is the red-dot sight, I get the bit of banding pixel salad. Is there any way to suppress the engine's inclination to help me by halving the texture size several times for my own good? I'd like the close-up gun scope to not be the worst looking thing in the scene. Any advice on this would be GREAT. Many thanks, and I'll do my best to pay it forward.

Replies

• NanoTurtle
    Sounds like some overzealous mip-mapping. Does it look bad when it's lying around as a prop ? In first person it shouldn't be a problem.
  • MightyT
    When it's just a brush placed on a desk, it does look passable, or when it is equipped on an NPC rifle. I tried to make it much larger in Crytek to get a better look, and the result were still muddy. If i scale it up in max before I export it, it looks clean. So one method i could see about getting around that is to export it 3x too big, and have a flowgraph on it to reduce it's size back to normal.....:poly142: That would be absurd tho. Would have thought there would be an internal setting to use within the texture to get it to not down-rez so aggressively.

Additionally, while it is a first-person perspective, the model being used is still the same as the 3rd person prop. Much more of an ARMA or virtual reality style of using it, rather than a designated COD "You are now aiming" model swap. So, I do hope that just proximity to the camera might help, but worry since there isn't an actual first person mode to be in.
  • NanoTurtle
    If I remember correctly this is just the mip-mapping. I believe it is based on the default size of your mesh combined with the camera distance. Nothing to really worry about.
  • MightyT
    Alright, will see how it looks in the final stage of the product. Thanks, and at least I've got some avenues I can suggest to look down if that doesn't work. Obliged!