Home Unity

overlayed animated normal map?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
wizo polycounter lvl 17
Hi there,

I would like to know if there is a way to get this kind of effect working into unity,
ground creep effect from starcraft 2 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXJn56oI35k

Basically is it possible to have a goo animation that uses a normal map on top of a mesh that already has a normal map, anyone know how to achieve something like this in unity?

huge thanks in advance!

Replies

• .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    You could try the strumpy shader editor to create your own shader. Maybe you could pan a normalmap with it. To combine the normalmaps you would need to manipulate some color channels inside of the shader tree.
  • warby
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    yeah this will call for a custom shader with some panning normal lays blending to gather based on masks or doing a sort of flip-book texture but that is always inconvenient to uv map
  • Zodd
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    About using the custom scrolling normal map texture, I second and third that.
    However, that might take a lot of memory usage since:
    Option 1: Use 1 tiling normal map texture and scroll it ( not as much memory impact but wont look
    as good unless you do some groundbreaking thing )
    Option 2: Use one larger texture that contains frames of animated "ground creep" and scroll
    through it using custom shader ( but this will take more of memory since the "ground
    creep" animation sheet will be huge ( if you want it to look ok )

Those were my 2 cents but then again the might be more options ( projector maybe ? )
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    alright guys, thanks for your input, I've asked one of our programmers about overlaying a tiling normal map with 3 different masks on an R G B texture, I hope it turns out alright,

thanks again!