Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Haunted Mines

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
nksilver5 polycounter lvl 5
Hello people :)

Starting to do a new piece for my folio, I just got UE4 so I think it will be fun to play with !

Did a shitty concept very quick ( 10/15min ) from something I dreamed, so sorry for the concept artists out here :(

Started painting the mine first yesterday, too many cracks and useless details for now, will keep working on this one for now :)

Any Adv/Feedback is always welcome !

Have a good day :)

Replies

• Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    This looks like it could be an interesting scene. I would block everything out and get it all the shapes working together in the scene before you begin with textures though.

Keep it up! :)
  • nksilver5
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man :)

Yeah I think I will do that, still need to figure out some stuff about custom sky in the engine too.

Lots to do, will try to make something pretty :)
  • FullSynch
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    As previously stated, block it out, establish a palette, and tell a story.

The best way to tell a story is to show the passage of time. First it was a mine, then something happened, now it's haunted and abandoned. The boarded up portion looks like it was included from the start by the consistency and placement of the beams to the rest of the structure. Tell a story by boarding it up haphazardly with a couple of two by fours or whatever they had at hand. If I were to look into this scene I would ask questions like:

- Where is this
    - Who made it
    - What were they mining for
    - What did they find/ what happened
    - What haunts it now (or create mystery by omitting this)
    - How old is it?

If I can find answers to these questions just by a glance you have an interesting scene with depth. Also keep in mind that mine structure is your point of interest so creating a unique shape and texture should trump symmetry and UV efficiency. I eagerly await your next update, good luck!
  • nksilver5
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Synch, thanks for your advice :)

yeah I got that wrote down, my concept is really shitty haha x)

I think I will redo some thumbnails for the mood / light of the scene, and for the sake of my skills in concept ^^.

Thanks guys for the feedback, always important :)

Will keep you posted.
  • nksilver5
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello :)

Sorry for double posting :/

So I did a very rough blockout, and will answer questions above.

- Who built it: dwarves
    - ressource: crystals
    - what did they found -> some ancient thug necro crypt -> they build some runes on the ground to sceal it.
    - What haunts it now -> ghosts / spirits
    - How old is it -> Actually I want to make something not too old, like the event happened and they left in a hurry.

Its been a lot of times since I used unity, so bear with me, google is my best friend, and will spent a lot of time on the rendering / post processing stuff :)

Still dont know for the cliff / mountain on the sides, 2/3 big rocks or a simple tiling texture on the Terrain mixed with variations.

To Do:

Trees / Rocks / fences / crystals / Foliage ( plant, leaves ) / tiling textures.

Lots to do, dont know where to start, but I think I will try to do it piece by piece, then refining, and spent time on the beauty shot.

Have a nice day :)
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Saw your update on the WAYWO thread, I really like where it's going, you should post it here aswell :)
  • nksilver5
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey ^^

Yep I'm gonna update it here also, changed a lot of things since the beginning, and still a LOT to do, but its getting there slowly and slowly :/ Hope I could finish this before the Blizzfest event at the end of the month tho :)

wip_mine.jpg