Home Technical Talk

Character Pinched Wrists [3ds Max > Source Engine]]

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 9
I'm having a very annoying problem ATM when compiling for source engine. Where my character's wrists seem pinched. I am assuming they are rotating a full 360 degrees. Though I am not fully experienced in 3ds Max to determine if the bones are aligned to one another down their hierarchy.

Note: I am using a standard de-compiled valvebiped skeleton for this character.

Is there a simple way to correct this problem? Any help much appreciated!
ac095f4662d668b03992c7361dfd8535.jpg

Replies

• Matt Fagan
    Offline / Send Message
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Can you list the bones in that area? Is the model playing an animation in that screenshot or is that the base model pose?

My best guess (never having worked with standard valve biped you mentioned), is that the bone was skinned at the wrong orientation. The easiest solution is to remove skin weight from all twist bones if they exist. The real solution is to turn off Always Deform in the Advanced Parameters rollout of the skin modifier, fix the twist bone orientation, and then turn it back on.
  • Matt Fagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Monster, to see the orientation of a bone in 3ds Max. Is there an additional button to show a bones axis orientation? (There are no twist bones)
  • jRocket
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    The axis orientation of a bone in 3ds Max IS the local rotation, but I don't think that's the problem. If you're using a decompiled Source model, 90% of the time it's something in the .qc that's messed up.