Home General Discussion

Ripping Models for Animation Reel

polymator
polycounter lvl 6

Replies

• S_ource
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I think i might have seen reels with characters that look like they come from games. If it's appropriate or not i don't know. I think it exist some game/games that allow you to use their content however you want or similar. Maybe ask a character artist if you could use their characters?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    make friends with one of the maaaaany character artists here, i'm sure they'd love the "free publicity" that having one of their characters in your showreel would bring, and you get to work with an artist who can make something to your exact specifications.
  • thatanimator
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    make friends with one of the maaaaany character artists here, i'm sure they'd love the "free publicity" that having one of their characters in your showreel would bring, and you get to work with an artist who can make something to your exact specifications.

right, I've been thinking of this many many times.
    I'm glad the SDK thread exists, so that I can download stuff anonymously - not having to prove myself to the artist whos work I made some shitty animation with..

I also think the whole "free publicity" think would be quite enough for people to jump on board with an animator.. but I dunno..

Then again, the characters produced are usually madness high quality stuff, which would take longer to skin than to animate :D
    sure, some are skinned and posed so that work is already done I guess....

But the stuff in the SDK thread is low poly and just ez to skin and get going with! :D

and, getting a model custom made is prolly impossible.. the modeler would probably loose interest, or even if he/she/it produces something at the end, if it doesn't reach the animators expectations then the motivation to animate it will drop and nothing will come of it..

a dream scenario would ofc be if modellers would be happy to supply .obj/whatever-file-format-that-contains-a-skinned-character of their awesome characters - as long as they're not tooooooo high poly ;D

just hype the SDK thread some more!
    maybe people will upload something - it's been quiet there for a while

:poly136::thumbup:

edit:
    this was posted in the animation thread:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=187943419#

a bunch of dota2 characters.
    I've had troubles opening most of them and the ones that open have half-borken skinning, but usually work well enough I guess :)

http://animationbuffet.blogspot.se/
    also some stuff on here, especially the zombie stuff there.. looks fun and gamey!:thumbup:
  • Mark Dygert
    If you use models ripped from games in your reel you create an expectation that you worked on that game, which can cause some confusion when that game doesn't appear on your resume.

Generally most people don't care what models you use as long as the animation is solid. Good presentation and variety help but they aren't going to be what makes or breaks you. Some of the best animation I've seen, has been just a very popular rig with no model and I would hire that person in a haertbeat.

I really like Gir's suggestion of teaming up with a character artists, that's a great idea.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Check out the SDK thread
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70908

it has lots of character models, provided for free by polycount users some of which are already rigged.

Just be clear with how you credit things, claim credit for your animations, but make sure to credit the makers of the models.
  • slipsius
    I've seen plenty of reels with rips rigs. You just really have to be careful with it. Be very clear that you didnt work on the game with proper credit, kind of thing.

Also, if you`re animation skill level isnt up to par, then I think it could work against you as well. Studios could see this amazing, studio quality rig, that should look amazing with all the animations, but if the anim looks amateur, they might see it as an even quicker hell no, this isnt what we want. Good rigs come with the expectation of amazing animation.
  • polymator
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Well, what kind of character is ideal to you to do your animation things ? I have never worked with an animator before so I have no clue :P
    Are you thinking of 3-4k tris, or are you looking for 10-15k tris ? Are you going to rig yourself ? Some character artists just pose the models without rigging it, or do only simple rig to pose the character.
  • rube
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    I wouldn't do it. There are so many free rigs of all different shapes out there that not only does it seem risky, it's just unnecessary. If you happen to be using maya, there are some great free rigs here http://www.animationbuffet.blogspot.ca/
  • EarthQuake
    Yeah, do not rip assets from games, because:
    1. Its illegal
    2. Its unethical
    3. Its a small industry, and you don't want to be known for 1&2
    4. There are many character artists who would likely be happy to work with you if it meant you rig and animator their work