Home Technical Talk

Cleanup tool for Max? (Similar to Maya)

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
garcellano greentooth
Hey everyone,

Is there a cleanup tool in Max that's similar to Maya?
CleanUpTool_Maya_zpsb396200c.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think 3dsmax has any one wizards that attempt clean up everything with one button, but it does have a few specific tools that help you find specific problems and fix them either on your own or with the help of other tools.

xView
    In the upper right corner of any viewport click the [+] and turn on xView. It will help you find specific things by highlighting them on the screen. This can be pretty resource intensive and kill your FPS so you don't want to leave it on all the time.

How you fix something really depends on what needs to be fixed.
    Quadrify (in the graphite modeling tools) will help you get a quaded mesh that was triangulated back to quads.
    There are several selection options that help you find n-gons with more than XX sides (also in the graphite modeling tools).
    Everything else that I can think of starts to get really specific...

In my general experince between the two, 3dsmax seems to make less nightmare meshes that need to be cleaned. It's optimization is better, it's booleans are cleaner and for a few releases they focused on making sure the meshes stayed clean and didn't need fixing.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Yup, 3dsmax doesn't let you create problems in your mesh in the first place (like lamina and non-manifold geometry). You can find scripts for the other useful things in Maya's cleanup, like selecting non-quads faces, triangulating, etc
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Oh ok, cool. I've used the xView mode, but not the Quadrify. I'll have to test it out. Yeah, I'm coming from mainly Maya, so it's interesting how some workflows changes. I'll definitely check out some scripts in Max that could be helpful to try out. Thanks guys.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    In the modifiers list you can select STLcheck and it will spot you if your mesh has any technical problems like open faces, you can also select the vertex you want to fix and use weld, i sometimes select a big proportion of the mesh and put a value of 0.001.
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Oh, cool. I just tested that out, should be helpful if needed. Thanks Finalhart.
  • spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    Max 2014 introduced a MeshInspector tool that is active by default. It inspects meshes for possible errors during load/save and topology changes. It does'nt provide an interface except a popup in caser of a detected error ( can be disabled ) . It's even in the docs, but i think the UI references there are plain wrong ( at least i don't have it anywhere in the menus )

Read more here
    http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/files/GUID-FAF35B39-0627-40AA-82C5-9B811CB3B9D5.htm

It provides a Maxscript interface too...
    Maxscript Docs
    http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/ENU/MAXScript-Help/files/GUID-F6F42FCD-36CA-4D76-9B17-EA5A661AA348.htm

To disable the automatic fixing you can edit your 3dsMax.ini
    [MeshInspector]
    Enable=0
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Sweet. I'll check it out. Thanks spacefrog.