Home General Discussion

Substance Designer "Getting Started"

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spoon polycounter lvl 11
Hi guys!

I just got SD trial, and watched the first two tuts on their site. I dont seem to be able to find any of the stuff the guy is showing with the HotRod, though.
I assume that is because you have to create that stuff yourself, build up a library.
How long did that take you guys, to get to a point where you felt SD was saving you time/trouble over your old workflow?
I was hoping I could jump in a get a feel for it quite fast, without having to build up a library of materials first.
Have I simply missed something obvious?

Replies

• Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    It takes time to learn the program, yes. I think without a library, but knowing the program, you can be as fast as you were before, maybe a tad slower, but you will be able to things you couldn't with PS.

Thing is you don't need to build a library:
    Bake inside SD, it really is better than Max or Maya, also easier than Xnormal imo.
    use the multi-material blend to blend all your full materials.
    Perhaps create one quick 'blockout material node'
    Paint masks in 2D in SD, or in PS. Use these to blend materials.

Doesn't require more than a few custom nodes that go a long way. You don't need to build a lib of crazy procedurals, just use bitmap textures and pianted masks.
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot, Xoliul!

@Ahmed, Which of them do you mean?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The videos were produced a few months ago and most of the stuff used on the Hot Rod made it to the library with a slightly different names, under Mask Generators. As for the base materials used, a lot of them will be shipped with the next update.

What tutorials did you watch? These are the most beginner friendly and should only make use of stuff that's in the tool by default:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwLWishhLPM&list=PLB0wXHrWAmCwLRTzdb-RxadGk_xBBQKar&index=1
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot, Jerc!
    That answerred a few of my questions :) Bought the package on steam!
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Hermit wrote: »
    When you drag and drop an image in your graph, make sure you select ''Link''. Otherwise, you'll experience significant slow downs.

Thanks, but isnt it the other way around? I was imagining "import" to import the image, and reducing slowdown, whereas "link" would constantly draw in data from the file.

Did I get that wrong?

Thanks for the tip! Will try it out :)
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hi Spoon I'm in the same process, trying to see how fast SD can speed up your workflow :) I'd like to know why baking in SD is better than other apps as well, is there some kind of batch bake function for multiple objects?
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    As far as I understood, it is better because it is faster. That you can do it in the app, and that you dont need cages, as you dont get hardedge errors.
    But I am not sure, thats just what I have read.