Home Technical Talk

How to reference a mesh in maya

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
I want to
1. Wrap modifier my retopologised mesh with my low poly base mesh for the sculpt in maya.
2. Sculpt and modify the base mesh in zbrush.
3. Then update the base mesh in maya.

This will enable me to make some meshes and also helps in the wrinkle map pipeline. Any ideas would be useful.

Replies

• antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    I assume you use OBJ to export your mesh from ZB? You can easily reference your .obj into maya, overwrite it with ZB and have your updates show up in maya. (RMB-click on it in the Outliner and select Reference->reload)
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler wrote: »
    I assume you use OBJ to export your mesh from ZB? You can easily reference your .obj into maya, overwrite it with ZB and have your updates show up in maya. (RMB-click on it in the Outliner and select Reference->reload)

Hey! Thanks for the reply Robert! I tried referencing but as soon as the reference updates the wrap modifier breaks. :\
  • antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    If your topology (Vertex IDs) dooesnt change in ZB, you could try to pipe the referenced shape into a mesh, that stays in the scene via blendshape. Maybe this doesnt break the Wrap deformer..
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler wrote: »
    If your topology (Vertex IDs) dooesnt change in ZB, you could try to pipe the referenced shape into a mesh, that stays in the scene via blendshape. Maybe this doesnt break the Wrap deformer..

Thank you Robert! It worked! :) I am so glad!