Home General Discussion

Applying for my MFA in Digital Arts at DigiPen

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Chase polycounter lvl 9
I was hoping to find someone here that's gone there and taken their curriculum. My career focus is on 3d modeling and texturing, but after viewing numerous 3d job descriptions it seems that most places are looking for a jack of all trades type of employee. i.e, a 3d modeler that can work on characters, can draw human/animal/environments/painting.

My fine art skills have taken a back seat to learning 3d over the past few years, but this MFA program definitely focuses on anatomy and improving one's fine arts ability. I'm weighing my options right now on whether or not the cost vs outcome is worth it. I want to really improve my 3d skills, and while that is emphasized in the program description, it's not seemingly so in the course curriculum. I'm fully aware that you're more valuable to an employer if you're more than just a modeler. Not to mention you stand out against every other applicant. Knowing your portfolio should speak for itself, I'm caught in a limbo of wondering if the time I spend on my fine arts will take away time from improving my 3d. I've read one student's blog about his first semester there. Each week he could expect 60-80 hours of work. That doesn't seem to leave much free time to work on 3d stuff. What makes me feel better about my lack of human anatomy knowledge is he had no 3d experience, and his comfort-ability was with drawing. Other people had other areas they were lacking in when he attended. At the same time I do want to be able to sculpt characters in my own time, but I'm betting on myself that I'll make marked improvements in my 2 years there to be able to make that happen :poly142:

Anyone who's taken the Master's course at DigiPen or any Master's in general would really help clear my thoughts!

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm. Not in a masters program (haven't graduated college yet..) but I don't see the point.

80% of what I've learned was self-taught. If you're in a fairly large city, there are probably sculpture courses (and other fine art classes) you could register for if you wanted to do so.

If you're SERIOUSLY (like get procrastitracker or something) doing 60-80 hours of 3d work a week, in a year you're going to have at least 2 kick ass pieces and you won't be in any more debt from school.

Okay lets go a little further... Lets say your Masters Degree is 2 years. If you work 60 hours a week on 3d you will have put in 6240 hours!! of work. If that doesn't land you a sweet job somewhere..
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I guess that's what I'm worried/hoping. If I'm putting all this work into the program I should certainly be able to land a job afterwards. The school has its intangibles like more networking. I'm doing some gesture drawing right now and I'm extremely rusty, but it feels nice to put pencil to paper again. Funny enough Naughty Dog is hiring for a Texture Artist position and they require a MFA. First time I've seen this. I'm with you that most of what I've learned to this point is self taught. I'm also of the mindset that I've learned most of what I can by myself without some guidance. I guess first I have to be accepted to the program before I can really make a decision don't I
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Chase wrote: »
    but after viewing numerous 3d job descriptions it seems that most places are looking for a jack of all trades type of employee. i.e, a 3d modeler that can work on characters, can draw human/animal/environments/painting

Uhhh...really? I would have to disagree completely. Most studios want specific role artists...env artist, character artist, animator, rigger, tech artist, etc. Sure, mobile studios may want generalists and it can't hurt to know stuff outside your area of expertise but make sure you excel in something and not just be mediocre in everything. My advice is pick what you want to do most and focus all your attention on that specific area so you are good enough to get a job in that role when you graduate.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Funny enough Naughty Dog is hiring for a Texture Artist position and they require a MFA.

They may put that but it all comes down to connections and our folio...if you have an amazing folio, they could care less about the degree...
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    slosh wrote: »
    Most studios want specific role artists...env artist, character artist, animator, rigger, tech artist, etc

This is what I was thinking. I've already graduated with my BFA and went to FuturePoly here in Seattle. It's an affordable 3d school. For the past year I've been self teaching myself everything I can. When I hit a wall it's when I realize how nice it'd be to have a teacher or someone to go right to. I want my MFA eventually as a personal achievement, but I really want to be a kick ass modeler before that. I don't feel like my portfolio is up to par yet. I'm making strides to change that, but the clock's ticking on getting a job. Definitely doesn't need to be in video games. I'm using all my networking I can, but it's still left me doing my part time retailing.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    If I'm putting all this work into the program I should certainly be able to land a job afterwards.

Sorry, I should have specified.

Don't go to the school, save that money that you would have spent, and INSTEAD worked that many hours i quoted on building your portfolio yourself. Like seriously, 2 years with few other obligations is a LOOOONG time to make insanely good stuff.

Also, since you went to futurepoly, I imagine you should have some nice work from there. I'm taking the online course right now and Jason is super knowledgeable. I'm surprised you haven't asked some of the teachers there about their thoughts on a MFA. A lot of big names.

If you take the environment course he mentions that the past students just focused on 1 discipline (environments/props ONLY) and landed killer jobs.

Edit: This is going to come off dickish but what sense of achievement do you think you'll get from a MFA? In the 3d art world I think a sweet portfolio is much more satisfying than a diploma from a school.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I've actually tried contacting Jason on maybe doing an internship, but haven't heard anything back still. Maybe I need to be a little more pushy haha. I know he's super busy, but I also sent him an email a month ago. You would think I would've gain some great portfolio pieces from there, but I was fresh at learning Max and Photoshop and Zbrush and UDK haha. So I was just trying to stay above water then. I took what I learned there and have applied it to what I've done now. I wish futurepoly had some extended modeling classes to take. I'd be all for that!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm. Have you watched this video yet? If not, there is a ton of good info that is covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9A9kt9M4Vw
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I haven't yet but I'll watch it today! If I could land an internship or even a entry level modeling job I'd be ecstatic. I certainly wouldn't want to do this MFA just to fill a void of not having a job. I'm really wanting to have my portfolio speak volumes, and in saying that you guys are right about the MFA. It'd be a personal achievement for later, but I still need to be able to model and texture my butt off. That's why I came to get your opinions :)
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    At this point, it would be impossible for me to recommened an MFA if you are trying to do game art. Have you considered taking jason's class again? There are a lot of people that do it, and I think it's pretty damn smart.

Any time people come back to my class have a totally different set of problems to solve, and there's a different value proposition to the repeat. Just a thought.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    As a former digipen student (graduate from the AA program), I can tell you it isn't worth the money. It's not a terrible program, and the environment you're in there (part of a small group of dedicated student artists giving and receiving crits on a daily basis) definitely has perks, but it's just not worth the cost, not even remotely. You'd be much better off re-taking classes at futurepoly, getting and giving crits on polycount, and practicing your ass off at home.

I'm glad I went to digipen, and it totally worked out for me and many others, but I know so many people in the industry with the same or better skillset who didn't have to shell out tens of thousands of dollars to get it.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    That's definitely an option I didn't think about Joe. By different value proposition do you mean financially or in other terms? I really want to avoid going through the introduction and beginner phase of the course again. I'm really wanting to be given a concept and to see it through from the modeling to texturing and rendering phase. Spending class time improving my topology for example. If I'm able to do that I'd seriously consider retaking the course. I'm afraid if I retake the class I'd be doing the same things as the first time. Learning the introduction of Max, modeling the crate and tree. Maybe it's a different structure now though. I sent Sabrina an email to pass on to Jason to possibly come up this week or next to discuss my portfolio. At the same time to see if he's still passing out work for his students to do. I was thinking how cool it'd be to start an advanced modeling course. I don't know how feasible that is though.

That's what I was struggling with deciding Ted. Is the possibility of landing a job worth the huge amount of debt I'll have because there's one thing that's guaranteed in the end.....debt. Even then I still need to have taken strides in modeling and texturing.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Chase, I looked at their program to. I would strongly recommend not going if you want your degree recognized by a University. They use a accreditation system used by commercial career schools that again is not recognized by traditional accreditation schools.

Also in my case I wanted more crossover and team work classes with all areas, including being a lead on my own projects. Instead the program seemed self absorbed into making you just a well versed 3d character artist. Great at getting a jerb, but not so great at expanding your horizons.

If you want human anatomy, take some classes at Gage Academy. In fact they are thinking about starting a sculpture Atelier program this fall. For any 3d program knowledge, take courses at Futurepoly.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I second what a lot of people here are saying.

Don't waste the absurd amounts of money getting a Masters for game art, regardless of what school it is. It's just a way for the predatory school system in the US to siphon more money out your ass and boot you out the door barely less unprepared as you were before.

You're better off retaking classes at Futerpoly or taking courses from Gnomon.

If you're taking out student loans, those are a very, very real thing. When you gotta start repaying those, they will fuck you hard if you spent too much time in school racking up debt at insane interest rates.

I know several people that pay $1000+ per month for the minimum payment for their loans that initially took out $60-70k.

If you spend too much time in school with a student loan debt floating around, when it crashes on your head, it'll crash hard.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    A master's won't get you a job. You don't need it for anything other than teaching at a University. Everything depends on a solid portfolio.

Please don't make the same mistake I did.

Spend that time getting your work up to speed and your name out there. Save your money.

..oh and my student loans are $400 a month. The first bill came the day I received my degree in the mail.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    If you didn't come out of a BFA with a job grabbing portfolio, you probably won't come out of an MFA with one, you will just be in crazy amounts of debt.

It's time to re-evaluate what you are doing and focus on that. Instead of going to after an MFA, take all of those hours and dollars that it would take, and put it into completing personal work that nudges your folio closer to job worthy.

Degrees are useless if your portfolio isn't up to snuff.

With that said, anatomy and traditional art skills are FANTASTIC for game dev work. But taking those classes as one offs rather than part of a degree is probably a better deal.

At the end of the day everything you need to get into the 3D world is for free on the internet.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Let's put it another way. If, after completing this course, do you expect to immediately get a job with an annual salary that is equal to or better than the total debt you will have?

If the answer is no, then it's probably not a financially sound investment.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    If you want to see a concept through to the end, what is stopping you from doing so NOW? You're talking about getting a MFA degree even after not being able to land a job after getting a BFA degree? A MFA degree with a weak portfolio is not going to make you stand out. In fact, if you want to stand out at all, it should be your portfolio that stands out not your degree.

Just focus on improving your portfolio if you want to land a job. You don't need to go to school to work on or improve your portfolio.

If you're looking for critique why not just post on Polycount and ask for it? You don't have to go to school for that.

And seriously, pick what you want to do and focus on improving in that area. You're not going to get a job or stand out by being mediocre at everything. When you spread your time out too thinly by trying to be the best at everything you become the best at nothing.

Focus on one area (environments, characters, etc.) and devote all of your time to it and become the best you can be.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    While I agree with the general response here, I want to pitch in, that a degree can help a lot in getting Visas, if you are relocating to a country that is generally difficult to get Visas in - is my impression.
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    I have a BFA from Digipen, and I'll say that while I liked a lot of program, I don't think I could justify the cost of getting an MFA with what current expected salaries in this field are.
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    Spoon wrote: »
    While I agree with the general response here, I want to pitch in, that a degree can help a lot in getting Visas, if you are relocating to a country that is generally difficult to get Visas in - is my impression.

As far as I know, a BFA should be enough for that.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I'm really appreciating the feedback guys! Maybe this also helps other people's decision on a similar matter. I decided that while going for my MFA would be a great personal achievement, the cost and what I'd learn isn't enough to justify going for it. I'm going to just keep pushing my nose to the grindstone. I have a few projects I've had going for awhile. They'll be much better portfolio pieces. Having my kiss ass portfolio is my top priority. I'm going to work on my fine arts through local classes. A much cheaper alternative!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Chase, take classes here. http://www.gageacademy.org/

You wont regret it.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I'll give that a look! Thanks Ox! Are you going to be taking any of those classes?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Don't do it. Please do not go to digipen. Learn on your own. I know so many people who have gone there, owe a fuck ton, and are sub-par. Go to futurepoly if anything and sign up for digital tutors, then do some eat 3d and 3d motive. That is all you need. PLEASE do not.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Don't worry Alex, I'll remain debt free as I'm not going! I already went to Futurepoly and have done some 3d motive stuff. I just need to keep practicing. I'm modeling a Kawasaki ninja motorcycle so I'll post that for some feedback in the next few days. It's been disheartening to not have a full time job yet is all. After watching that video that Chris posted I snapped back into the mind set of beefing up my portfolio.