Home Technical Talk

Huge Modo Normal baking issues

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Zack Maxwell interpolator
I'm following the Modo Steam Edition tutorial here.
I finally got to the point of baking out my maps, and I'm having some pretty big issues with the Normal baking result. Despite following the tutorial step-by-step.
Normal baking is a complicated process, and I know I've made a mistake somewhere, but I absolutely cannot figure out what. Probably multiple things.
I was hoping someone could help me figure out where I've gone wrong.
Below is an image of the problem, and the file I'm working on.

SickleBakeBroken_zpse2001736.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8gaaz2r4dzn7hk/SickleCustom.blx

Replies

• Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I think the issue may be with the UV map. At some point I seem to have screwed up and failed to give it a unique name. So I remade the UV with a unique name, but despite assigning the new UV to the low and high res in the List panel, it still keeps trying to bake with the old UV. I can't stop it.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally figured it out. As I thought I did need a UV map with a unique name, and assigning it to the bake is different from assigning it to the mesh; I had to select the target Normal texture in the Shading tree, go into Texture Locator under Properties, and assign the UV to the texture there.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It should rename the target UV map when you rename the UV map.

But be sure that the high and low UV map names are different, otherwise it'll try and bake both. Bit annoying.