Home General Discussion

dDo Questions.

Garasin
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Garasin polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,

I'm a student due to start my final year project at university. My goal is to create a game environment in UE4 and I was looking into using dDo. This is going to be something for my portfolio and the aim is to make me as employable as possible by the end.

My concern with using dDo is that I'm worried that it won't show case my ability to texture and dDo might come across as a bit of a crutch to potential employers.

Would this be the case?

Thanks guys, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    If you would use dDO, make sure it comes out awesome and badass. Don't make it cheap like slapping random textures on sloppy models. Also might want to make some pieces in your portfolio that you don't use dDO but still pretty high quality to show that dDO is just another tool you use. And your skills are beyond just clicking a few buttons in dDO.

I think good art is good art, be it made in Paint, or in Photoshop. But simply make a Cloud render in Photoshop doesn't make it good art. Hope that makes sense...
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Whether someone knows how to texture comes through pretty clearly whether they're using dDo or not. If you can't texture well, all dDo will generally let you do is create bad textures more quickly.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    I've found that using it for monotonous tasks (i.e. setting up seamless base textures on fabric, edge wear on metal, etc) works quite well. Then I drag those layer groups into my own Photoshop files for further work. You can still do a ton outside the program to "harmonize" your textures but there's nothing wrong with giving them a jump start before you do.

Just don't become one of those artists who slaps random dDo textures onto an asset and says "its done". Human authoring afterwards for finesse is always a good thing :).
  • Garasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Garasin polycounter lvl 10
    Cheers for the responses people!

Appreciated!