Home General Discussion

Arrrr, the piracy poll!

I'm curious to know the main reasons why people pirate software(or games), I feel like more information will help developers create software that users actually want to buy/support.

This poll is not meant to shame anyone, or to argue the ethics/morals of piracy, but simply be a source of information. We have a lot of developers on this site and I think it will be useful to see what the general motives for piracy are.

If you would like to remain anonymous, please vote in the poll but do not post. Nobody will have access specific information (eg, who voted for what) other than Polycount admins, and we promise not to do anything nefarious with it.

Due to the imperfect nature of polls, there will surely be some choices I've missed, but try to pick the one that matches your situation as well as possible.

Replies

• ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    For software: When it's overpriced, I have a really hard time justifying a software purchase when it costs more than my whole computer. Glad some software is going towards being more of a service rather than a one time purchase to help people afford it. But I hope it helps them make consistent and good updates, and not the other way around.

For games: Don't pirate games anymore because I love Steam and Humblebundle, and there's a lot of affordable amazing games out these days. It helps that I make money now too, when I was a student it was harder to choose between games and food. That being said, I'm much more strict on the games I buy because I shouldn't be having more fun with a $15 game than a $60 game which has happened quite often lately.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    pretty much what ceebee said.

Altho; there are few softwares that one has to buy.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    I think thats the main issue with a lot of the "industry standard" software is its cost (even subscription based programs).

The way I see it, if your using their software to learn and improve with the hopes of getting a job with a company then its far less malicious than some other practices. At the end of the day, if you do end up getting a job with a company based on your experience with that software (and of course being good at your job) then that company will have to buy licences anyway so software companies get their money anyway. Larger companies (ones that monopolize the industry like Autodesk) can afford to allow their programs to be used as a learning tool.

Other programs (such as Marmoset toolbag and the Quixel suite on the other hand) provide their software at affordable prices, and considering its primarily the art community (not so much companies) that help keep them afloat I think its only right to purchase such software.

It would be interesting to see whether people legitimately purchase software for Steam Workshop items and what sort of software alternatives (if any) that people use for freelance where their income might not be constant throughout the year.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    I'm in a weird grey area where I don't like buying annual upgrades, nor do I like paying for recurring subscriptions. Generally when I find a version of software that isn't completely broken (Autodesk) or that has all the features I need (Photoshop/Zbrush), I will stop paying for upgrades and opt out of subscriptions. However, I'm always curious about what the new software has to offer...

Some articles say subscriptions are calculably cheaper than purchasing an upgrade... But I think that's under the assumption that the consumer is purchasing every upgrade as soon as it comes out... I bought CS6 for around 380 bucks when it came out. As someone who does not purchase every new version of Photoshop, if I decided to opt in to the Creative Cloud subscription, after about a year I start losing money (comparatively). At this point I would have already lost several hundred dollars.

Other articles say piracy is a great form of advertisement, as it lets people use the software to its full extents before having to decide to support the developers.

Personally, I think after 500 bucks or so my considerations to purchase the software take a nosedive. Sorry, Autodesk & Unity. Also guaranteed free updates to future versions (like ZBrush, Quixel) are always a hook for me. If I could buy Maya for $3K and be guaranteed free upgrades, I'd be much more likely to buy it even at its steep price point.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I used to pirate a bit when I was still in high school. I'll also pirate things that I've bought, or owned at one point, mostly games for emulators. I have pirated things to get an extended trial if I didn't have long enough to get a grasp of the application.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    I want to use Zbrush and make tileables but I can't because I cannot even afford the student version :(.

PS: If anyone from Pixologic is here I except free gifts via Polycount PM :D
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Short version; It's all about the price/value to hour ratio. If I had the money I would pay for everything.

It all comes down to how much value I get, how much it costs versus how many hours I will use it. For example, if you compare Autodesks subscription of 3Ds max versus Unreal Engine 4 (vastly different programs, but I use both), 3Ds max is 195 euro a month and UE4 is 19 euro a month + 5% of your sales.

So for roughly a single month worth of 3Ds max I could get 10 months worth of UE4, just that greatly decreases my will to subscribe to 3Ds max. If you then compare the time I use each software for 1 month and compare that to the price the price/value point becomes even worse for 3Ds max compared to UE4. I think I average around 20-40 hours a month on 3Ds max, while I average around 60-100 hours a month on UE4. So 3Ds max gets an hourly value of 9,75-4,875 euro an hour, UE 4 gets 0,31-0,19 euro an hour.

If you take a cheap one time fee program like Toolbag 2, it becomes harder. Because I really have no clue when you guys will make a new version or if you ever will make a new version. Will you make Toolbag 3 in 1 year? 5 years? That changes the value of a program for me. So if we the simple math again and use my 2 hours as a benchmark, if you release a new toolbag after 1 year it's hourly worth is 5,375 dollars an hour. But if you release it in 5 years, the hourly rate would be 1,075 dollars. But then you get issues like, I can still use Toolbag 2 even if you release a new version, it might be worth more then other programs because it has a high value to me personally, maybe I really like the devs. Stuff like that can also impact the price/value point. What if I use the program more a month, maybe less another month.

But in the end if the price/hour is too high I simply can't afford it and if there really isn't another solution for it I will end up pirating it. The same stuff pretty much applies to games too.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I still have the student version of Autodesk's products, but I can't justify paying the prices they expect, once these run out. More importantly, I don't really like their business practices, buying out small companies in an effort to essentially monopolize. And lots of times, like with XSI, they buy it out, and stop developing it/discontinue it. Mudbox feels like it's going that way too. No innovation.

I'm still using a pirated Photoshop Cs6, but I'll be subscribing to CC once it becomes a little more stable, and now that I have a job. I bought a month of it, but it would start bugging out after awhile, delaying the scrubby zoom, and panning, and all that, for about half a second. It really slowed me down, so I went right back.

However, I always support smaller companies. Even if I can't particularly afford it.

Marmoset, Quixel, etc. I love their business practices and their software, and they're cheap enough that I can justify it. Like someone said above, if it's more expensive than my computer, I just can't bring myself to buy it.

Marmoset and Quixel are so innovative, to not support them would be madness.

I also pirate to try stuff out. Even games. If I like it, though, I'll buy it. I don't really play games, though, so if I download it, it's more to look at the art, and even then, I play it for maybe an hour or two. Unless it's fun, then I'll buy it. I always buy Bethesda's games, too, because I tend to love them. I will buy indie games too. Steam makes it very easy. Dear Esther, Amnesia: The Dark Descent/A Machine for Pigs, Gone Home, etc. I loved all those games, and felt good supporting the developers.

To summarize. I like to support small innovative companies, and products/businesses that I like. If the price point is above a few hundred dollars, or if I just want to try it out, I'm significantly less likely to buy it, at least at this point in my life.
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Too expensive. How can you buy a piece of software for $3000 if you earn roughly $1200 per month? And they expect you to buy an update for ridiculous amount of money every year.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Allegorithmic, Quixel, Marmoset, Zbrush, and UE4 are all great examples of good service and pricing imo.
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    For me personally, price is a major factor, but only for the big time spenders. Toolbag, Quixel Suite, and a couple of others I've made sure to buy. However, as I'm in a gray area between school and developing my portfolio to get a job, the big time software packages from Autodesk and Adobe are way too far out of my price range for me to currently afford. I do still have access to the student version of Autodesk, but recently the licensing for that got screwed up and I honestly had no other choice but to pirate it until I can afford the full version. While free options like Blender do exist, Maya and Max are what I know and use.

Tekoppar also made a good point when it comes to what makes software far more appealing to purchase. Pixologic providing free updates after the purchase of Zbrush is what made be purchase that over Photoshop when I was back in school. I would love to eventually purchase Maya or Max one day, as outside of a certain tv show about games, and thrones and what have you, those have become the only thing I've pirated in a very long time.

This becomes even more glaring when Epic throws a monkeywrench in everyone's pricing models by offering UE4 for essentially $20. Now, it does have the % of sales tacked on, but for the way most of the artists around here use UE4, the subscription doesn't need to be recurring.

TL;DR: Autodesk and Adobe have such a constrictive monopoly in the industry, and such an antiquated pricing method and release scheme in addition to the price point, pirating it is the way to go. On the other hand software like the Quixel Suite, TB2, UE4, Zbrush, and others are priced pretty fairly and have pretty decent update plans. Essentially, I can't justify the expenditure on Adobe and Autodesk, but require the software, while other software is in the sweet spot for what I can afford.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Personally I welcome the DEATH of Autodesk.

Or at the very least sack all the management and get new guys in
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    I would select two options if I could - I pirate not only because I'm a student, and indeed these software packages can ramp up to astronomical prices - but also because I'm simply a hobbyist and do it out of enjoyment rather than for financial gain. Of-course this may change at some point in the future as I'd like to advance into a studio, however by that point I'll likely have legitimate access to a software package anyway.

That said, I am totally for the student packages some developers are offering. Autodesk offer a student key for 3DSMax if you can provide legitimate proof of an educational institute, and indeed Octane Render is following in pursuit.

However for developers like Adobe who have a large portion of the industry in their hands, you don't see them actively trying to prevent piracy for, say, Photoshop. Think about it, studios may be paying upwards of $2-6,000 dollars for a commercial licence which already brings in their financial gain. A bunch of hobbyists and freelancers pirating software is like a feather on their shoulder, touch
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    I find it funny/disheartening that some 3D packages are easier to pirate than it is to actually install the legit copy that you paid for. :thumbdown:
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    While I can't afford all the software I want/need, I tend to not pirate much anymore since I respect how much effort and knowledge is needed to make any of the software I like. The only real time I'll pirate software now is if it is expensive and the trial isn't long enough for me to actually learn how to use the software or at least get comfortable enough to the point where I can justify a purchase.

I love how many software providers have special packages depending on your needs. dDo for example, is only $25 for me since I don't need nDo, which is perfectly affordable and an incredible deal for what you get.

Autodesk software on the other hand, can be quite unfair since it costs a lot, and if you want yearly updates then you better be an industry professional with a nice salary. I do like the fact that it's offered for free to students as that is what I'm currently using, but I don't think I'll be too happy once I graduate if I can't find a job.

I'm not a fan of subscription models since some of them are expensive (Unity, for example) but when it is done well it can be an amazing choice (UE4, for example.)
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    I certainly don't pirate games at this point -- I already have a games library that's larger than the time I have to play them. I did occasionally in college, most often because I didn't have another way to find out how the game was before buying it and I was living on a stipend small enough that it was more insulting than not getting one.

For software, it comes down to being unemployed and needing skills to become employed again. If I can afford it, I'll buy it, but right now I have a family on a single income with high medical bills as an extenuating factor. I've also done what I consider morally questionable but technically permissible things such as registering at a community college, getting student software, then cancelling my registration. I'll also buy anything I've used as soon as I am able and would never use anything for commercial purposes without purchasing. Occasionally I might turn to it if there's no trial available and I have literally no other way to evaluate something, but I've only come across that situation once.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I think I tried to pirate a couple games a decade or so ago (when I was ~14, 15) due to not having any money to buy games. I'm pretty sure one of the gave me a virus and I needed to reformat, and the other one I could never get working.

Being older and having income, there's simply no point. Even if I don't have the money to buy all the games I want (which is most of the time), it's not hard to just wait until I can afford it. Not interested in stealing, not interested in taking money away from studios, not interested in having my ISP call me and say "Dafuq you been doing mate?" The urge to pirate hasn't even presented itself. Soooo much easier, more respectful, and safer to just wait a while & pick something up on sale.

I also just like seeing things in my Steam library proper, or having the cases on my shelves. :)
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    I pirate when a studio doesn't release a demo or is super tight lipped about a product. Sometimes there's a good reason for that. If I pirate a game and its a total mess and you can just tell they'd half-assed it, then pirating it just saved me some money and regret.

Same goes with programs. I'll pirate it and if I think its something I'm going to actually use for more than a few days, then yeah I'll go ahead and buy it if its not stupidly over-priced.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Software: I used to pirate software because of the price. But now with subscriptions and tons of low cost alternatives that work in a professional environment, I do not have to anymore. Over the years I got lucky a few times when I got a contract job and they bought software for me, or a free lic for review. Having money helps too...

Games: Most I did back in the day was the NoDVD/CD exe hacks. This was back in 2003~2004. I still bought the games, just hated that DVD/CD spin up sound all the time. But Steam came out and took care of that nonsense.

I do have NES/SNES roms.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    When it comes to software, it depends entirely on the price. Allegorithmic, Quixel, Pixologic, and Unreal are all apps that have proven themselves consistently and offer a *very* realistic and affordable price point. Adobe and Autodesk, though? They have such stupidly overpriced stuff. I'll admit, Photoshop CC is getting there, but I'm not sure I'm a big fan, especially when they were having such huge issues with their cloud servers recently.

For Games, Steam makes getting games easier than pirating them, which makes it attractive for a lot of people. With the Steam sales, I don't see why one would ever pirate any game ever again.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    I am gonna mention a reason that (understandably) isn't in the poll regarding game piracy:

When I bought Call of Duty: World at War, back when it came out, I didn't know that it was censored in the country I was living in, so I downloaded a pirated non-censored version of it. Did that a couple of times in the past actually, for games that had weird country restrictions, or if the purchased copy was only in the country's language and not in english, I basically bought them but still downloaded them, just so I can play them the way the developers intended it / in the language I preferred to play them.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I've pirated a few games over the years.

The main reason is avoiding DRM. I have a fair few games sat on the shelf still in their wrappers, simply because I don't want that shit on my machine. I don't need seven or eight different "services" running in the background constantly on the off chance I want to play a game. Heck, I have a Bioshock 2 special edition box with the game still wrapped, because who wants to install Games for Windows Live?

Starforce almost cost me my gaming machine a few years back when it rootkitted hard, permanently disabled my optical drives, and then when using the supposed 'starforce removal tool', I found I could no longer boot into windows without a constant stream of error messages. I have never installed an Ubisoft game from disk since, and only have three games in UPlay, which retrospectively I'd rather have never installed since it's a waste of my time and frequently doesn't work anyway.

A few of the other games I've pirated over the years have been because I wasn't sure I'd enjoy them. Dropping the equivalent of 80-100 USD on a game that you couldn't bring yourself to play for more than an hour, but find you also can't return is painful. Some of them I did later buy, some of them I didn't. Since pirating Borderlands 2, I now have the retail pre-order version, the season pass, all five headhunter packs and a loot chest at home (and I bought the first game). Mass Effect has all three games still sat in wrappers as I pirated the first game and later bought it, then avoided the DRM for the other two. Other games, like Dragon Age, I found to be unplayable and deleted in pretty short order to conserve valuable disk space.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    back then in the place I live , I dont even know that original game ever existed ...
    all games CD/DVD sold for 1.5 $,, oh game download also was out of question with overpriced 56kb dial up internet

that gave me bad habit to treat cds like junk, ( got tons of them back then)

even today with full of 15 - 60 $ games libraries, sometimes I misplace one disk to another disk cover. thats why digital download like psn and steam is a gift from heaven.
  • oxygencube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    I used to steal all of my software, games, music and movies. Then one day I became really convicted about it and my concious wouldn't leave me alone. I now buy everything and am strongly against pirating software and all other forms of theft.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    ambershee wrote: »
    I've pirated a few games over the years.

The main reason is avoiding DRM. I have a fair few games sat on the shelf still in their wrappers, simply because I don't want that shit on my machine. I don't need seven or eight different "services" running in the background constantly on the off chance I want to play a game. Heck, I have a Bioshock 2 special edition box with the game still wrapped, because who wants to install Games for Windows Live?

Starforce almost cost me my gaming machine a few years back when it rootkitted hard, permanently disabled my optical drives, and then when using the supposed 'starforce removal tool', I found I could no longer boot into windows without a constant stream of error messages. I have never installed an Ubisoft game from disk since, and only have three games in UPlay, which retrospectively I'd rather have never installed since it's a waste of my time and frequently doesn't work anyway.

A few of the other games I've pirated over the years have been because I wasn't sure I'd enjoy them. Dropping the equivalent of 80-100 USD on a game that you couldn't bring yourself to play for more than an hour, but find you also can't return is painful. Some of them I did later buy, some of them I didn't. Since pirating Borderlands 2, I now have the retail pre-order version, the season pass, all five headhunter packs and a loot chest at home (and I bought the first game). Mass Effect has all three games still sat in wrappers as I pirated the first game and later bought it, then avoided the DRM for the other two. Other games, like Dragon Age, I found to be unplayable and deleted in pretty short order to conserve valuable disk space.

I'm in the same case for games. However for software too costly I try to find some alternatives, or even try to build my own tool.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Software: I'm at a point where I can start buying it. (Just bought the Quixel Suite) however not too long ago, I would pirate certain software because I couldn't afford otherwise. I felt that, if I wasn't making a profit off of it and was using it for practice, it couldn't be too harmful.

Games: It's been a few years since I pirated a game. When I did pirate them, they would be single player games I'd just like to play through once and be done with it. I started to realize all the work that goes into making them and felt like a piece of shit watching the download bar go up, so I stopped lol.
  • siraniks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    siraniks polycounter lvl 10
    I pirate before but not today, because I can afford and because of that I am limited from downloads so limited to games means more practice ...

It's because of the price since in our country it's much expensive and because of Steam, I can afford games when it's on sale ...

same goes to software, so I use free open source alternatives like Blender then got stuck on it LOL ... I pirate some like Photoshop but when CC was out I'll just stick to what I have today knowing that you don't really need to get updated with the updates and new features ...

I pirate when price vs learning is at stake, if I'll just learn the software not selling the result after that why buy the software?
  • Docm30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Docm30 polycounter lvl 10
    I used to pirate games when I was a kid. We were pretty damn poor and couldn't really afford games. Now that I work I never do it and have actually tried to go back and buy games I previously pirated.
  • loki1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im happy to admit i do pirate games. HOWEVER that is only because there is no way to play a demo with most games these days. i wish steam would bring out a demo and let u play that first before forcing you to pay for it. nothing worse then spending $70 on a game only to find out you don't like it after the first hour(or less) of play.

i had the horrid experience with the new watch dogs. i bought it my pc has the specs to run the game however for some unknown reason i cannot play it. my pc goes to blue screen of death and steam does not offer refunds so i have now lost money and regret my choice to get it for computer. had i waited for a crack to test it with first like i normally do i wouldn't of wasted money and just got it so i could play it at my friends place instead of not at all.
  • Fusobotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fusobotic polycounter lvl 6
    Most indie titles I'll purchase, and cheaper graphics software is totally worth it, but when it comes to AAA stuff I very rarely spend money. 1- Because I'm not sure whether I'll even spend any time playing it, or 2- because I hate the publisher (usually because their DRM policy or just the inane reiteration of crappy titles with sparkly new letters and ramped-up post-process effects... talking to you EA and Ubisoft). If software/game companies want money for their products they need to firstly make distribution faster/better than torrenting (Steam/Blizzard know how to do this), secondly stop punishing both the consumer and people who want to try before buying, thirdly provide an active online service (co-op or anything multiplayer), and finally actually make a good, unique product! Modern First Person Shooting Simulator 5: Revenge of the Brown Color Palette; Extra Weapon Skin DLC Preorder Deluxe Limited HD Reboot Edition isn't worth the time developing it, the time spent playing it or my work invested buying it. I've never understood why day one DLC isn't just called, "parts we left out so we can make more money off of you!" content. I like it when developers actively add on to games after release in an episodic format, like HL2, Tell Tale, or heck- even BF3/4, because it keeps the game fresh and allows people to revisit for more fun. Otherwise they're just screwing over people deliberately.

I will continue to practice trying before buying because I don't want to support crappy developers, or simply play a game I don't enjoy. In the past I've pirated a game, spent hundreds of hours in it, bought the boxed special edition, then bought it three more times on steam for friends because I loved the game and the developers that much. In this day and age when there's so much mediocrity I can't risk wasting both the money I've worked for and my free time on a game that is utterly BS.

(Also I think the Adobe subscription system is absolutely awesome, and I hope lots of other software devs adopt a similar pay as you go system)
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My biggest issue I've had with most software pricing is that it's licenses are either prohibitively expensive one-shot payments, or you essentially hand them infinite money. I really don't cotton to the idea of "Products as a service" because of the fact that how it's been handled (with the major exception of Epic) is "You give us infinity dollars, and we'll give you the most up-to-date, buggy software that doesn't really exist as a local copy."

I gladly give my cash to people that make legitimately good programs with the clear intent of making people's lives easier (Quixel, Wrapit, Handplane, Marmoset, etc) and the pricing isn't ridiculous.

I feel a solution that makes everybody happy (Devs get money, customers get what they want) would be to put up new and legacy versions of software up for sale, with payment pricing either the "I want the latest and greatest so here's my money forever" plan or pay monthly until you own a license for the version of the program you want.

I understand that developers are people too, and they need their bills paid like everybody else, but their marketing departments aren't doing a good job of convincing me. I think offering single-version software (Current and legacy) with a fixed price on a monthly plan would go a long way to being a good compromise. The price point becomes a much more attractive prospect, and developers can keep making money on the products they're currently working on and the old versions that still have demand.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I think that stuff like autodesk charging absurd amounts of money for something each year with few updates is absurd. I don't freelance really so I just use the student version so it's legal. I did buy marmoset and a few other softwares like Ndo to support the devs and because it's priced at something that won't kill me. I do want to throw in Marmoset one's licensing issues drove me mad, it seemed so utterly obnoxious, I know it's fixed I just wanted to complain, really made me not even want to buy it but I did. I get most other softwares for free somehow, like UE4 I have a free two year because of beta and such. Unity is free and cryengine was free. I recently bought photoshop after years of because it's actually affordable and well worth the value at $10 a month with lightroom.

As for games I buy them for PS4 if it's something I want to play alone or for the single player, then I sell it after I beat it so I can play games for cheap, or I play on PC games I play with friends so I need to buy them, also pirating games is a lot of work and won't always been in your library ect.
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    depends if i choose to support the developer but any indie game i will buy.
    as for movies though.. i pirate because it's easier and looking back at all the movies i used to own on VHS i don't feel too guilty but i'll go to the cinema every now and again too. Music is another case of it being easier, i'll support artists when they come to town and do shows and buy t-shirts etc. but i feel like i should get to hear the music before i decide whether or not i like them and want to support them. Software I pirate because it costs so much, there's no way i could pay for Max, Zbrush, photoshop etc licenses each year.
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    Pokemon prompted me to Pirate DS games for a while since I didn't want to pay another +$30 to get essentially the same game. Some of the R4 hacks were also extremely convenient for breeding, infinite TMs, and so forth. Not to mention I could have all my games in one cartridge. But the 3DS DRM is/was much tougher to crack and "quality of life" changes in the latest Pokemon games have pretty much quashed the need for me to pirate the second version.

As for the software, I totally agree with Der Hollander. I'd really like it if software companies started rent-to-own options for their latest subscription-only services. (Or followed the UE4 model of paying for whatever is available now without requiring a constant subscription unless you want to update.) Although these monthly payment plans are much more affordable in the short term, in the long term they're going to eat up way more money than you would've spent in one go with the old plans. It really bothers me that I can't own many of today's software or games and that I'm basically using it at the whims of the developers.

In any case, I've learned to live with the quirks of open source software for the applications I don't own or subscribe to.

The only time I've been tempted to pirate software is when switching between mac/pc versions of software. Having to pay for a product I already own just because the operating system is different is annoying. (Although I understand that developing for each platform requires additional work it just seems moronic for a company to not support both platforms and to give customers access to software installations on both without charging extra.)
  • jacob thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob thomas polycounter lvl 9
    Games, never.
    Software, sometimes.

I buy licenses for everything I can afford if I find it is useful to me. But sometimes to even evaluate it properly I need to crack it.
    I still haven't committed to a major 3d package but LT is looking like it is going to get my money.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Never pirate any games ever, let's encourage our fellows developper.
    I've been consistently buying every single one of the softwares I use for the past few years. The sad part of it is really softwares like 3ds max-maya wich are so pricey, even has a professional or a full time freelancer.
    I really try to encourage smaller company that still try to keep their price (reasonably) low, great programs such as 3d coat, marmoset toolbbag, zbrush, topogun etc. Plus I love those cause you actually get updates too, really make it worth my money
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I've pirated software before, but it was a long time ago before I knew what Open Source software was.

Now I either can afford software or I know a good open source alternative that gets the job done. I just feel better all around knowing that I'm doing thing legitimately and so far it's helped me find lots of software I never would have found otherwise that I prefer over the paid stuff (such as firealpaca for sketching and krita for painting.)

Also, by using Blender I found that I could customize it to piece together my favorite parts of Maya and Max to make a workflow that I thoroughly enjoy.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    it's simple: as a freelancer you barely scrape by a living here. paying software that costs 3000-4000 in total, even once is out of the question. Each one of my friends that made a legit business is living a life of stress, to make taxes, to make rent, to make it through the month.

-I HAVE NEVER WORKED AT A STUDIO WHERE THE SOFTWARE IS BOUGHT-
    at best, they have a 3dstudio max version 2 somewhere on a shelf bought decades ago.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I've stopped pirating games. It's just not fair to the guys who worked on it. However, some software that I've used for very small alterations in a model... I've pirated 'em in the past.

That said, there's a snowballs chance in hell that I'm going to pirate software during the production of a game. Who wants a $50,000 fine? Not me. That's who.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Hm, i do wonder though, is for example for autodesk better if the guy pirates maya/3dsmax and eventually get a job and earns enough money to actually buy that product one day, or would it be better if he's a good guy and not do piracy, but switches to Blender, and maybe never gets to buy 3ds max .....

I mean, people seems to say don't do piracy, but i do wonder if in such case, AD isn't really on a loss here...
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    I don't pirate games. I have a pretty good idea of what i will enjoy playing and what i won't enjoy. And indie games i just buy for the sheer fun of it sometimes :D

Short answer to the below rant is cost per month or to buy is to high for personal use.

Software is a big issue. I subscribe to Adobe CC and i find the pricing immensely worth it. With the range of software you get. I have no idea of what Autodesk is thinking with their licence models. They are just screaming "not for consumer use!" and by doing so they might miss a really large market. Maya LT is just one big joke to me. I mean it's not like you see Photoshop CC but you can only export to .jpg in lowest quality and you cant use the transform tool. How stupid would i be to buy that version.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    If no one pirated software then there would probably be at lot less 3d artists. And everyone would use blender, gimp etc.
    I'm not ashamed to admit that I used to pirate software. I'm sure most people started off by pirating. There's just no way you can afford all the software you need if you're not a freelancer, and even then. Some do offer student versions now which is good.
    I have always supported the smaller companies that offer great products though. Like Marmoset and Quixel.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm kind of lucky that as a programmer / designer, my tools aren't overly expensive. Visual Studio has free version and cheapish individual modules, and OpenOffice happily takes care of the rest.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    I`ve said this before but in my mind software aimed for commercial work should always come with a free version for non commercial use. If you want people to know your software and be able to use it then make it so that its available for everyone who wants to do so.

That being said i only buy software thats either cheap/ from a smaller development team / or doesnt make me pay for each update.

Games i buy on steam or if they`re a console exclusive that people recommended. I buy a lot of games on launchday because i want to play them right away so steam sales only make up my mind to buy something when i wasnt sure if i`d like it before that.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    komaokc wrote: »
    If no one pirated software then there would probably be at lot less 3d artists.
    I dunno about that

I think if no one pirated software maybe GIMP and blender would be better software today because they would have much larger communities so there would be more interest in contributing to them.

I don't think artists choose to do 3d at because they can pirate software, more like they pirate software because it's the means to the end. But if blender and gimp were better they might have never had to
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    I think if no one pirated software maybe GIMP and blender would be better software today because they would have much larger communities so there would be more interest in contributing to them.

It might also result in a buyout from Autodesk :P.

Job requirements:
    Experience in using Autodesk GIMP. (Shudder).
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Didn't Adobe openly admit piracy saved photoshop and made it what it is today?

That aside, student versions of everything helps, if there isn't student version available or reasonably priced alternates/subscriptions, well shit happens. *Heads up* Anyone with a valid student Email can get all of autodesk products for free as student copies, IE you can't make money from them.

I remember one particular time i forked out £50 for a file conversion kit due to a specific client format request. Never used it again. Really wound me up as i knew there was free versions available from torrent and it would have done the exact same thing...

Games? I own too many steam games that i haven't even played yet & humble bundle keeps me a happy man. £3 natural selection 2, with other games and i've spent about 300 hours for £3. I'll admit i used to pirate games when i was younger but that seems a common trend for teenagers.

-Can't justify games piracy other than to demo/test it on my machine before hand.

-Tested watch dogs as it had no demo, hated it after 15mins and removed it from my system. Would have been £40 down to find that out, then my balls in a vice since i can't take it back. If i enjoyed it, then it would have been bought faster than i could press delete on the demo copy.

Lastly, Dust is a good game to raise on restrictive DRM, i remember pre-ordering it to play when stuck traveling from A-B due to its claim of no DRM. Well they lied and that's the only game i have ever got a refund from steam for and that took nearly 2 weeks...
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got stung by something similar to Dust recently. I picked up Reus to play as I had about 24 hours worth of flights to suffer through last month.

Turns out it doesn't launch if you're not connected to the Internet.
  • AGarton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGarton polycounter lvl 9
    Only pirate games if I already bought a legit copy and lost the cd or key code.
    Always pay for software <£100 (quixel, marmoset, toppgun,World Machine, etc..) But I simply cannot afford to buy the industry standard giants and eat in the same month. Even if they bring out 'student versions',they're usually still out of an affordable price range and come with a list of limitations as long as my arm.

Once I can eat and pay rent/utility bills AND have money left over I'll happily fork out, but till then the price for the tools is just too dam high.
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    I once pirated a game to simply try-out, it was a pre-order alpha which I was skeptical due to reviews on forums about the controls (mouse clicking, a lot of it) and the actual repetitive gameplay in general before buying, so I torrented it and I didn't regret it because I would have ended up wasting £15 of my money.

Does that make me a horrible person?