Home General Discussion

Star Citizen - The Next Great Starship

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
beefaroni sublime tool
Finale is live now!!

Overall, if anyone hasn't watched this series, I'd highly recommend it. I personally have picked up a lot by listening to the judges critiques on the ships and their thoughts on design in general.

What do all of you think of the show? Any complaints?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz08I1L1SgQ

Replies

• vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still remember the days when I used to play the first two Wing Commanders, on a 386SX with a 13" screen and an MFM hard drive - it felt a bit like I was in a mroe rugged version of Star Wars, something that could've been real in the future. Then there was Wing Commander 3 where I was able to take a shower while the mission was loading from the CD, but I was more than willing to wait. Oh and there were the Ultima Underworld games and Ultima VII 1-2 as well. Or the intro movies, and Strike Commander with its CGI.
    So I guess Chris Roberts and Origin were very dear to me and a huge inspiration to get into this whole thing.

This whole Star Citizen stuff feels almost unreal to me, the fact that they can get back to the spirit of those old games and that there's this huge community support and interest and all. Makes me feel a bit like that kid again.

Now I was in the kickstarter back a few years ago, after that amazing first trailer that felt like Wing Commander reborn. I haven't really invested in my PC in these past years and I'm not sure if I'll have the free time to get into the game itself.
    But still, this entire public development effort is just so unbelievably good and impressive, I feel like I've already gotten my money's worth. The inside look to how each and every bit of their design comes into place is incredible on its own. I'd say it's already worth the bucks I've throw in, I've spent a lot of nights just browsing their site looking at the annotated images of ship designs and such. I mean, notes to and from Ryan Church!

Now I haven't really been following this competition, so I was also utterly amazed at the level of quality that these teams have delivered. This has to be the best "user" created content I've ever seen, I can fully understand Roberts when he says that their own internal teams have to push as hard as they can to live up to these standards.

All that's left is to release a good game, but it really looks like they're all making a real effort to do so. Can't wait for it, this can be the one to make me invest in a new computer - and a joystick, again :)
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    DAT FASHION SENSE.

CG1ikrn.jpg?1

He looks like he woke up and hit the random button in a sims character creator.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Apparently he wears that shirt often during other streams for this "Next Great Starship" series.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I thought the only job of an art director was to possess a keen sense of taste and to be able to communicate that in the form of a vision?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    well he kept the palette true ; )

nice brown and yellow tones , clothing + hair color + skin color haha

why is the shirt so glossy, whats that for a material , the folds look like its wet
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    Shrike wrote: »
    well he kept the palette true ; )

nice brown and yellow tones , clothing + hair color + skin color haha

why is the shirt so glossy, whats that for a material , the folds look like its wet

thats about the funniest comment i read today on PC, maybe they are playing with the new physically based materials system?