Home General Discussion

Work + Doggies?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys,
I was wondering, do any of you guys/girls have dogs? I don't mean back home, but with you where you are currently living? Even during relocations? Is it a plausible thing? I was hearing of extreme hours sometimes before deadlines, ect. Would this stop one from having a dog with them?

Replies

• jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    1. You have a roommate or significant other who either works normal hours, or odd hours (but is around at least part of the day).

OR

2. You pay for a dog walker.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As much as I would love to have a dog right now, the hours I work make it pretty difficult. One of my coworkers lives close enough to the studio that he can go home over lunch to take care of his dog but that can be a hassle if you live further from work. I honestly think that's why you see game developers drawn more to cats, as long as there's food in their bowl they're pretty content.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the answers guys. Well, I have a dog already, so that is why I am asking this. I guess if I get a relocation job, I gotta hire a dog walker if that's the case. :)
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    dogs-are-encouraged-this-is-juliet-a-french-bulldog.jpg
    You can bring you dog to work at zynga but that's the only place like this I've heard of.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    There are some Dog friendly studios out there :icon60:
    I hear Gameloft in Toronto is one of them. And there's another in Vancouver (Edit: United Front Games)
    Naughty Dog was as of 2012
    Toys for Bob - Activision in Novato, CA
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I don't have dogs but my cat has been awesome with moves, she handled the 30 hour drive from Boston to Austin like a champ. I actually think she enjoyed the hotel rooms.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    You could bring your dog to work at some studios I've worked at. It seems common in california.

I flew my dogs from Australia to the USA. They didn't like it - but they weren't injured.

For really long hours you can pay a dog walker to walk and feed your dogs. If you can't afford this then you probably shouldn't be working the long hours.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, I would LOVE to bring my dog to work ... but my wife looks after him most days as it currently stands.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Well, if you were freelance you always could have your pets around.

My dog died several years ago, and there's no logic having a dog with this profession, and more if you are a nomad worker working almost all the day (10 hours, excluding the time driving, at the supermarket, etc.)

This the dog i have in my workplace nowadays:

71t-VOAklHL._SL1500_.jpg

cute and small enough hehe
  • regalrayn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a Shiba Inu I'd love to take to and from work. After I moved to New York he stayed with my roommates back in California until I could save up a bit to ship him over. I have a girlfriend that works more normal hours who loves to take care of him when I'm not home.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    d1ver wrote: »
    dogs-are-encouraged-this-is-juliet-a-french-bulldog.jpg
    You can bring you dog to work at zynga but that's the only place like this I've heard of.

that dog looks like its in need of a pet rescue saga.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A cat is generally more suitable as they are more independent and need less care.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    Blizzard is really good with allowing dogs to work, the campus is like a freaking kennel most of the time.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Old pic...home on leave back in the '80's with my English Cocker spaniel named Winston.

"miss ya bro!"

img150_zps171b382d.jpg
  • Anthony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    Heh, I'd LOVE to work in a place that allowed dogs, though i probably wouldn't get any work done, on account i'd be too busy petting said dogs :P
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Whether you are a dog or cat person, if you live alone, get 2. Having only one, with long hours is just cruel. Pets get lonely. When you get two, they have a buddy and are always much much happier.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    slipsius wrote: »
    Whether you are a dog or cat person, if you live alone, get 2. Having only one, with long hours is just cruel. Pets get lonely. When you get two, they have a buddy and are always much much happier.
    I'll amend a note here that says this should be *almost* always. Having known hundreds if not thousands of cats in my time (I used to foster pregnant strays and rehabilitate feral kittens), there are some cats that really loathe every other cat ever. One that I have now only makes friends with other cats if a new one comes in the house -- she'll team up with the older residents to hate on the new kid. If you've got a cat, consider his or her personality before bringing another one into the household. For dogs, just make sure you don't end up with two the same sex and age or they might try to kill each other to establish who the alpha dog is. (That last one leads to a ridiculous story about my having to drop out of the middle of a WoW raid with the genuine excuse of "the dog ate my video card".)
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Cryptic Studios is dog-friendly too.

Naughty Dog being dog-friendly makes sense, but also made me lol.