Home General Discussion

Edge of Tomorrow

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
m4dcow interpolator
So I just watched this tonight, hadn't seen any trailers or heard that much about it, but I enjoyed it a lot. For me it was one of the better sci fi flicks in last few years.

Anyone else had a chance to see it yet?

Replies

• McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yep, went in and saw it last Sunday. I never read the manga that the story was build on, so I didn't have any expentations. There was a lot of humor in the movies (especially like the truck part), and the graphics was pretty good. I enjoyed the movie, though I kept asking myself:
    Why didn't they track down an alpha and let her die from it? so she could go back in time as well and learn? I don't believe there was any explaining for that, except maybe they avoided him on purpose, so the hive couldn't track them.
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    McGreed wrote: »
    Yep, went in and saw it last Sunday. I never read the manga that the story was build on, so I didn't have any expentations. There was a lot of humor in the movies (especially like the truck part), and the graphics was pretty good. I enjoyed the movie, though I kept asking myself:
    Why didn't they track down an alpha and let her die from it? so she could go back in time as well and learn? I don't believe there was any explaining for that, except maybe they avoided him on purpose, so the hive couldn't track them.

She would never go back in time with him, because only the person to die first will remeber the last day. also those alphas are pretty deadly and they know whats going on, so if they kill it and the blood thing doesn't work, they loose their advantage and the alpha will probably drain them of their blood. overall there was no time for this in the movie, as it was already struggling to explain all the stuff in the given time, while also building up character relationships.

overall for a blockbuster this movie was incredibly smart imo. i liked it a lot.
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Looking forward to seeing this, read the novel it's based on (not a manga) a few years ago before it was licensed and really liked it. Was still kind of weird to see Tom Cruise playing the role of a japanese teenager, but that's Hollywood I guess. :)
  • slipgatecentral
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    I'm pretty sure he was playing a role of US Army officer.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Really enjoyed the movie (cept for the ending :poly118:).
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Looking forward to it as well. Will have to grab the d/l though...:(
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    The company I work for did the 3d scanning for this - costumes, actors, sets etc. It was one of the first gigs I got to work on set! Still haven't seen the final film yet, but I'm pretty excited!
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Bal wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing this, read the novel it's based on (not a manga) a few years ago before it was licensed and really liked it. Was still kind of weird to see Tom Cruise playing the role of a japanese teenager, but that's Hollywood I guess. :)

he was the last samurai after all!

jokes aside, since they made the movie in USA then casting him in this role is fine i think. i enjoyed the movie.
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Fantastic movie, trailer doesn't do it any justice!!!
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    Yeah I thought it was a bit of a cop out crowd pleaser sort of thing
  • richmondster
    that's nice, i hope the're already a copy of a movie in torrent. hahah
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Didn't know it was a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/All-You-Need-Is-Kill/dp/1421527618"]novel[/ame]. So I bought it! Hope to read it before I see it.
  • 2-ee
    Baj Singh wrote: »

Same here, there were surely a good amount of ways the movie could have ended and the tone/idea of the movie would have been left intact.
    I don't know why they decided to leave us off like that, it felt like a glass half empty than the full resolution I thought it would end at. (dead main character and all) It seriously could have resolved itself without the sudden need to leave the main character's story hanging. (with the whole thing of letting him live and letting the audience decided whether or not he decides to pursue his love interest or not)
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Great movie. Though if you compare time looping movies, it still has nothing on Run Lola Run.
  • Darth Tomi
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Came in third at the box office opening weekend. Ignert masses.
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    its more humorous than the novel/manga , but I still enjoy it :)
    I was sceptical on how it going to fit in 2 hours movie , but the cuts and plot is quite smart.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I really enjoyed it. Ending seemed a bit weird,
    seemed like they opened a lot of plotholes just to give a 'happy' ending.
    I dunno if this is an Americanization thing or what... if anyone familiar with the source material could tell me how this ending compares let me know.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Just got back from watching it. Lots of fun!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I like it! It's different from the manga, that's for sure. I didn't read the novel. But I like the movie for different reason from the manga, obviously.