Home General Discussion

Improve model for client, but do not publish.

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys,

So I got contacted by someone that is asking me to improve a high poly sculpt that (I assume) they have worked on. Now I wouldn't mind doing this, but they also said that they do not intend to publish or sell the final model and are asking me to do the same.
The email isn't written very professionally and the current state of the sculpt looks like its made by someone that is a beginner/intermediate.

Now this just sounds fishy to me. For all I know they could pass my work off as their own.

I was wondering what the accepted course of action for these kinds of jobs are.
I mean I could use the money, but not sure if accepting this is the best thing to do.
Am I just paranoid?

I'd appreciate any kind of advice I can get.

edit--

Just want to clarify that I understand NDA's and what not, but again this client doesnt sound very professional, no contracts and what not.

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    When i take on a new project it's made clear that i'm doing the work in return for payment. In the end they own the product that they've paid for.

However i always add a stipulation that allows me to use any content I've created for self promotion (e.g portfolio, interviews, publications etc...)

So i'd just make sure you're being fairly compensated and leave it there
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    I would ask for 80% payment before delivery if it seems fishy