Home Technical Talk

Snappers Facial Rig

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Snappers Facial Rig, I saw this and thought I would share it with you guys.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qeOFibRmoo&app=desktop[/ame]

Snappers Facial Rig for Maya (also available for 3dsMax) + dx11 or Cg skin shader with multiple wrinkles maps + Rig Manager to handle selection and to create/save poses.

e-mail: info@snapperstech.com

Snappers-Facial-Rig-2.jpg

Replies

• deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
    I saw this and wanted to ask.. Is it really difficult to rig like this. There are 39 + 3 joints. And I an quite sure many blend shapes and wrinkle maps. But other than it being a bit time consuming is there any rigging in this that looks difficult to do? I am a novice. So I would like to know how this is a really good rig not because of the blend shapes or wrinkle maps but because of the rig.

I am sorry if my phrasing is wrong, but I really want to know.
  • antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    I guess in this case most detail and fidelity comes from excessive use of blendshapes and matching wrinkle maps. The artists either used face scans and put a lot of efford into studying and matching the character
    you can archieve rigs with similar depth of controls using joint based rigs. The disadvantage is, all the efford is for exactly one character, while with a purely joint based solution you can share your rig for various characters, which might be more suitable for games productions. (of course one doesnt easiliy get the quality of this example)
  • huatang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your sharing.:)
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    how is he making the deformations that smooth?
    how is the wrinkle detail showing/unshowing depending on the deformation in the face?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how is he making the deformations that smooth?
    how is the wrinkle detail showing/unshowing depending on the deformation in the face?
    A mix of joints, blendshapes (morphers) and wrinkle maps.
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what's happening near the ear at 0:20?
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    jaw snapping / rotating out of his joint, pretty natural, maybe a bit too strong tho
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a bit jerky but that makes it look all the more real. are those blue points in the rig manager the controllers or joints? Is it possible that there are many more joints on the face than what we can see? Sorry for newb question... :\
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Really inspiring stuff.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    deohboeh wrote: »
    It's a bit jerky but that makes it look all the more real. are those blue points in the rig manager the controllers or joints? Is it possible that there are many more joints on the face than what we can see? Sorry for newb question... :\

I believe those are the controllers, not the joints, since in the video they are dragged in different directions but still give the excepted result. Manipulating joints this way would be much more chaotic.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If they want to sell this for game development than it's most likely using hundreds of joints. Almost all the high end game facial rigs are built like that and only apply corrective blendshapes on top of the deformations; Crytek has lots of them, Naughty Dog only a couple in Last of Us characters.

The reason is that GPUs are much faster at working with bones and blendshapes are not just slow but memory intensive (which is why Ryse has more of them thanks to using 10x as much memory on X1).

The other advantages are that it allows for a lot of re-use - only model one facial mesh and do one main weighting pass, then refit it for the individual characters. However the same base mesh means you can't manually sculpt most of the wrinkles and so you need to rely on blending in wrinkle maps for the normals (and sometimes for the color map as well to simulate blood flow changes).

But it's also quite work intensive as it's still usually trying to emulate a purely blendshape based approach, matching bone rotations/positions to various elemental expressions.
    I think this video from Naughty Dog should explain everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myZcUvU8YWc
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Disney's Maleficent: Re-creating Fully Digital Characters-Design

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls29dPeOy-A[/ame]

Going to have a crack at the FBX Morph Target Pipeline in Unreal Engine 4 over the summer. I will get back to you as to how I get on.

Here is some documentation for anyone interested.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/FBX/MorphTargets/index.html#settingupmorphtargets
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fxguide has a long article about those DD rigs
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    That maleficent video is so awesome. Amazing how accurate they can get these models now a days.