Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Knight: Fan Art – Real-time

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
rodgon polycounter
Hi everyone! Finally I finished the Knight! :D

More info here!

Project done during the awesome workshop with Gilberto Magno. Based on the Concept art of Riiick.

Modeled mainly with Zbrush and some bases meshes with 3DSmax! Re-topology done with Topogun. Baked textures with xNormal and texturing with photoshop. Real-time render with Marmoset.

Better watch the video in HD! :)
[vv]96780837[/vv]

Real-time model

realtime_final_03.jpg

High-poly:

render_clay_front_low2.jpg
render_high_low3.jpg
axe_high_low3.jpg

Some breakdowns:
realtme_shots.jpg

breakdown_realtime_low2.jpg

uv_set.jpg

maps_low2.jpg

armor_details_breakdown.jpg

Replies

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Here comes the BoooZZsszz!!!
    Really Awesome!
    boston-terrier-on-a-roomba.gif
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice work. Thanks for the breakdown, lot of useful tips.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    What map size you use to get those fine details in O o'
    So badass.
  • rodgon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rodgon polycounter
    Thanks all for the comments! I'm glad you liked it! :)

PyrZern, the Knight's maps have 4k resolution while the Axe maps have 2K resolution.
    Normally I always double the resolution size of maps just in case I need better resolution for presentations purposes, and it is always easier to scale down the maps later on without sacrifice too much the details. :)

Also, I used the Cavity Map (created from normal map) to help me stand out those details.
    I've updated the post with the maps I used. Hope that helps to get some idea about it.

Cheers!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Fantastic work — and thanks for the metal tutorial; the breakdown of your brush use is really useful.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Looking really nice, but I think these texture resolutions are more than an overkill. I quickly calculated a little, a lets say you've put things into alpha channels, so you got 3 maps/part, and a 4k tga (with alpha) is 64 mb, so 3 map per part = 12 textures, 64mb*12 = 768 mb for the character without the axe. I don't know if it would take the same amout of video memory to load this in(but I guess), but it takes a lot of hdd space anyways. So I think these 4k resolutions are way too much even for a cinematic character, or for presentation purposes. The most of the monitors has 1080p height so using 4k for medium sized parts of a character it pointless. Probably the parts won't ever be showed from a distance where the 4k maps would have point. Have you tried how it looks with 2k maps? Probably there wouldn't be noticeable difference.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Obscura you´re right :) but the good thing on 4K or 8K is that you can scale it down to fit todays computers and consoles.
    I think its better to bake big then to low, like it´s better to have then to need.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the HP looks awesome , no crits, the material definition on the texture tho , doesnt read as metal, more like concrete, you put so much love onto it on the HP but the material ended up wasting it, id make it like actual metal , right now doesnt read as such :( And yeah the way you divided this char is overkill unless it was for a modular system where you could swap parts , but thats technicalitty, the end result is what matters ;) congrats !
  • rodgon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rodgon polycounter
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! It's really helpful! I will improve the points mentioned on the next projects! :)

Obscura, Thanks. I totally understand and agree about it. :)
    I did 4k because will be much easier to scale down and keep quality with minor to none adjustments later on. It worked just fine with 2k or even with 1k or less. But probably it would be a problem if I created with limited resolution size in mind and after I need scale it up later on. Might be good idea to have resolution choices if I need better quality for presentations purposes, close-up shots, or even for print resolutions. As this is a personal project and studies, I would use full resolution for presentation purposes though. :)
    Regarding the alpha map, just the "cloth map" needs alpha channel.

Joao Sapiro, Thanks. Yeah probably I need to improve some shaders and materials to achieve better metal look. I will check that soon and make some updates. :)

Cheers!
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I meant you could put the gloss map into the spec map's alpha channel, and the ao into the normal's or the diffuse's alpha channel to reduce the number of the used textures. Because the ao map and the gloss map is grayscale, it can be in just one channel instead of using a full image for them with 3 channels. Then 2 from those channels wouldn't really be needed, because one contains every information that you need for that map. Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Obscura wrote: »
    I meant you could put the gloss map into the spec map's alpha channel, and the ao into the normal's or the diffuse's alpha channel to reduce the number of the used textures. Because the ao map and the gloss map is grayscale, it can be in just one channel instead of using a full image for them with 3 channels. Then 2 from those channels wouldn't really be needed, because one contains every information that you need for that map. Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say.

This doesn't actaully save anything. You can combine Gloss, AO, and Cavity putting each in to of of the three RGB channels. Having and alpha channel is almost the same as having another map.
  • rodgon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rodgon polycounter
    Yes I got it! Thanks for your time to explain all the details. These feedback are really helpful! :)

I'm using marmoset 2 for engine, I notice that the shaders uses "gloss map" as a separated slot input too, but I understand that I can include the Gloss map within the Specular's alpha channel. Is thats right?

I used the AO map within the Diffuse map. I just showed the AO map for display purposes (maybe someone wants to see how the AO map looks like too), Although I didn't use AO map as separated maps in shader.

Cheers!
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having them in the other map's alpha channel still sounds better to me than having them each in individual textures, because its less texture and you didn't wasted the channels with like using an individual texture for the gloss when actually it can fit in just one channel. And actually it would save texturesamplers. But I don't want to open an argument about this kind of questions because it would be pointless because the creation is already not optimized for in game usage, and it made for only presentation purposes, so basically my observations are pretty much irrelevant.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but I understand that I can include the Gloss map within the Specular's alpha channel. Is thats right?

Yes! Thats it. And yeah... That the shader doesn't allow to do that is an another question again.

Nice job anyways! It could benefit from using metalness and roughness maps instead of the oldschool spec/gloss.
  • rodgon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rodgon polycounter
    I need to learn how to create metalness and roughness too. I will check that on the next projects though. Thanks for the feedback Obscura! :)
  • rodgon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rodgon polycounter
    Chain-mail pattern that I used for the Knight's arms. More soon. :)

More info here!

chainmail_breakdown_low2.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    awesome work, i remember seeing this earlier when you'd just done the high poly, great to see it finished
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    This is fantastic! Love it. Also excuse me while I go dig a grave for my art aspirations in this corner here :P
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Furiously sexy!!
  • LandsharkRAWR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like to think those horns get put to good use
  • rodgon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rodgon polycounter
    Thanks everyone for C&C! :)

I did another breakdown (part 1 & 2) in how did the "Knight's low-poly fur effect". Hope that info is useful. :)

More info about this project!

+ I used this technique of fur that was applied to this game:
    http://gabrielibias.wordpress.com/tag/shadow-of-the-colossus/

fur_breakdown_pt11.jpg

fur_breakdown_pt22.jpg
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I can't believe I didn't see this before, amazing work! This is Polycount banner material I think.
  • Lloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those breakdowns are almost as awesome as the model itself. Thanks for taking the time to creating these!
  • Loutrattitude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loutrattitude polycounter lvl 6
    For the love of god, these breakdowns are the best !
  • Ehren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehren polycounter lvl 9
  • stilobique
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stilobique polycounter lvl 12
    Verey great ! Thanks for the breakdown.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    great work! Checked out some of your videos there too, the cartoon sketches are very impressive!
  • rodgon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rodgon polycounter
    Thanks for the support and feedback everyone! I'm glad you liked the breakdown images too. :D
  • Ahoburg
  • Pashazoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pashazoz polycounter lvl 12
  • G-Saviour18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G-Saviour18 polycounter lvl 12
    Good work buddy, nice breakdowns too :)
  • Ssjtroll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome work! I saw your knight on CGSociety a few days ago. I love the added break down :D
  • Kip McSkipster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kip McSkipster polycounter lvl 13
    Terrific work, and thanks for the breakdowns!