Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Painted Textures

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
BlenderCube polycounter lvl 7
Hi, Teaching myself painted textures without AO or Curvature maps for guidance so am looking for some good tutorials that go over different tricks and methods. Below are some attempts at painted textures please give pointers. Thanks.

FloorBoards.png

Rocks.png

Wood Tiles, rocks where created to tile but due to colorization are now not tiling and hard to blend.

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    are you painting with a mouse?
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    I put up a hand-painted texturing tutorial in Blender a couple days ago. I can probably do one on tiled wood or something in a week or two when I get freetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7ALfRw6I5I
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea with a mouse, don't have a pad. Thanks for the link ill check that out.

EDIT: thanks for the link, was looking for something more in Photoshop but the ill have a look anyway for the methods.
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just going to post my progress on this texture I am creating with inspiration from your tutorial. (Has been resised to 512x512 from 1024x1024.

Completely Tillable along X axis, not tillable with itself in Y due to intentional gradient and decoration.

WallSmall.png
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    That's a big improvement! Your colors are starting to mud together, it's better than your older attempts, but all of the colors are really soft and blended. You should have some harsher edges between color patches. JenZee does this really boldly:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/308/7/1/squigly_by_jenzee-d6t3m5k.jpg

The surface could use some painterly details to help with describing the material.

My friend Devin Busha made this:
    folktalegoblinaxe.jpg

The painted axe has all of these little divots and pockmarks that add a lot to describing the material. I'd say to experiment a bit to figure out what will work with describing rock.

Keep it up! :)
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Also, I'd really suggest to get a tablet of some sort, you can pick up a decent used Intuos for $50 USD or so, but painting with a mouse will really restrict what you'll be able to create effectively.
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update. Not much change just added in more surface detail.

WallSmall.png
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried to bring out the edges a bit more.

WallSmalltest.png
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    Yea with a mouse, don't have a pad. Thanks for the link ill check that out.

EDIT: thanks for the link, was looking for something more in Photoshop but the ill have a look anyway for the methods.

I would definitely look at picking up a tablet. It is going to help you SO much in the long run and speed up your work a ton. Unless you're just a pro with a mouse..Which I can't imagine being an easy life :P

If you're low on cash thats alright man, theres no need to get a new $100-200 tablet right off the bat. Grab a $10 used off ebay, even if it doesn't have a ton of levels of pressure, its still going to help speed you up and make your life easier :)

Highly recommend one!

Other than that, you're making progress! Have you chosen which direction your light source is coming from? I'd make a mark or something on another layer you can hide, because as of now it feels like its coming from more than one direction (IE some of your bricks are highlighted on the right side while others aren't, and all are highlighted on the top and then a few are highlighted on the left and even a couple on the bottom)
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, thanks for the advice, I added some more details and added more light at the top of the bricks to try to define the light source more.

I also wanted to see what it would look like in an environment so moved it quickly into Blender where I added an auto generated normal just to see what it would look like but have ended up rendering out the texture through blender because of the detail it added. so below are the two new updates the one rendered out through blender and the one completely hand painted.

obviously I want to be able to get the detail as shown in the better quality texture without having to render it out, but for now it dose the job and realy helps me to see what I need to do for future textures.

WallSmalltest.png

WallSmalltest.png
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    I cant believe you are using a mouse!?! buy a wacom. An advice is to spread all odd details around the texture. If you only have one place where the stones get small the are gonna repeat everywhere. Also i would try to make some stones darker and some lighter. It will make alot of different. You will notice when you are on the right track because the eye will start to relax. Here is an old texture i did on my page.

handpaintedtextures_stone-wall-4.jpg?itok=Zez7f4p5
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I have now got a drawing tablet, realy strange getting used to it, below is another image, focusing on a single brick just to get the basics.

Slab.png
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Slab.png

Looks better for sure, keep working on the entire texture! Great work.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    yeah much much better - you'll get used to it, everybody does :)
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Current Stage still a lot more to be done.

WallRedone_s.png
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looking pretty good!

but dont use white for highlights, or black for shadows for that matter. try to pick a color thats close to your core but lighter and more saturated, and the opposite for shadows.

your understanding of shape and lighting is good. the weakest part of your textures are your actual digital rendering skill in my opinion, wich is good, because thats the easiets one the learn :)

keep at it!
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    I have seen some excellent progress over the course of this thread. One thing I always like to do in cases like this is take at look at really best case examples of artists that do this kind of work. In terms of hand painted textures, WOW is always a great resource.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125737

I think that you could stand to go a little bolder with the thicknesses of your imperfections and edges. Something that might read well as a single brick, can kind of get lostwhen a part of a tiled wall texture.
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added in some more light and dark contrast to give more depth to the surface of the bricks.

Wall.png
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started to try annother texture, would like some guidance on foliage and grass.

PebblesSmall.png
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • IndieGear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IndieGear polycounter lvl 8
    Great work here! Really like how these are coming along!
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kinda struggling don't know where to take them.
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to try to create an asset with painted textures, still a WIP as it has seams and the top & bottom are both not quite finished.

BarrelsSmall.png

BarrelFull.png
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Add light gradient on the barrel
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Is there a reason the top of the iron bands is so rough?
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Stinkhorse wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that his texture is too short to fill UV island correctly.
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse wrote: »

As I said a WIP, I will get around to fixing things like that, but keep posting anything you see that can be improved :), thanks.

+ part of the reason was because my Unwrap was not 100% strait.
  • Hamakua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hamakua polycounter lvl 4
    Just an FYI on tablets, Monoprice has a really good selection and they work absolutely fine. They are between about $30 and $50. I have product number 10594 and use it daily, most times 6-8 hours a day (sometimes more). Has performed perfectly in all that time (maybe about a year now?). Before that I had product 6814 (same tablet, previous gen) that worked just as well. I accidentally damaged the surface when I placed a hot soup bowl down without thinking and it defomed the surface plastic. It still worked fine, it just had a tiny divot that would catch the pen and it bothered me.

Monoprice, impressively is an affordable alternative to$200-$300 or more "brand name" tablets.

I used them in photoshop and Zbrush without nearly any complaints. One warning, the tablet doesn't convey pen pressure in 64 bit photoshop so you need to use 32 bit if you are looking for pen sensitivity.
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aware the Texture is very red, that's due to color overlay, texture also needs to be a little darker. Was trying to get a rock layer or cobble style texture, I think it worked but I think that I can do more to it, I can see the texture is not perfect but cant see the imperfections please reveal them to me.

Maybe sharper edges are needed?

RocksDELETE.png

Cobble.png
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been a while since I last did painted textures and have been trying to get back into it with this wood texture, I have been messing around with it for a few hours now at its current state and am struggling to progress with it.

I cant seem to find the right sort of reference for it so would love for feedback and guidance.

wood4.jpg

I have uploaded 2 versions because I think that the crevices are too pronounced but overall I am not sure.

wood3.jpg

wood.jpg
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    I just throw this piece of advice here,regarding the latest image: if you use warm colors for lights (like in this case) then use cool colors for the shadows. If you use cool color for the lights,then use warm colors for the shadows.

but don't take it for granted,is just something I heard recently,so maybe if you try it out let me know if it works better :)

EDIT: Just for the fun of it (and a bit of curiosity) I wanted to quckly try,I don't even know if I applied correctly what I was saying,I also may have pushed the contrast and added some dark value to the cracks, you can see it here side by side with the original http://i.imgur.com/dnSydXj.png
    I don't know,hope somehow this helps :)
  • Triksterr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Triksterr polycounter lvl 3
    Good start. Like said above do not use straight black and white for your highlights and shadows. I sometimes use the color cube but most times just use a Hue Saturation slider to control my shades. Also do not be afraid to mix more colors into your work, you would be surprised how many different colors will complement each other and give a very nice effect.
  • BlenderCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wood.jpg

I darkened the Shadows as they where lost and experimented with some wood grain, i'm not sure if i'm going in the right direction.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    Nails seem semi transparent.