Home Technical Talk

Hard surface sub-d poly modeling and panel lines

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Vertrucio greentooth
I have a "best practices" question about a model I'm working on, and I can get a little obsessive about the optimal workflow.

I have a hard surface mech model, in poly block out currently, but it will be sub-d. I've reached the point where I want to start adding support loops and beveling everything to prepare a high poly base, which will then be taken into zbrush for fine details like lettering, etc. The final goal being a solid mesh to bake from for a low poly game mesh.

Here's the model:
http://www.exoshift.org/concepts/drone_wip03_front_wire.jpg

I currently have each major part as a separate mesh, so it's not a watertight model. Between each part will be a panel line and currently I have gaps between each separate part to indicate this.

I'd like to know the best methods for preparing a final usable mesh. Do I start moving verts to make each part flush, then model the panel lines using chamfers? Or, do I fill in the gaps with another separate mesh that's just poly strips?

Replies

• peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    I read your question but here's where i dont get it:

"I'd like to know the best methods for preparing a final usable mesh."

By final usable mesh are you talking about the low resolution or are you implying to refine everything for the final highpoly ?
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Ah, sorry. I meant refine everything for the final highpoly.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    I usually make a copy of my lowrez and zip it.

http://www.exoshift.org/concepts/drone_wip03_front_wire.jpg

With something like that,its pretty defined for a low. Chamfer edges to have a nice flow and basic finish and just forget about the lowpoly for now, because the baking will 98% fit your insets and bevels. You can also cut the mesh(high) (holes, gaps between plates) in some carefully chosen places and have your lowpoly imitate the shape by drilling and cutting it also. Send the mesh(high) to zbrush, redefine each plate 1 by 1 by hiding and matching spaces of the armor, zremesh adnoseadum, repeat, rinse each pieces ect, ect, ect.