Home General Discussion

Transistor

Andreas
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Andreas polycounter lvl 11
Supergiant Games' new title.

http://youtu.be/GTik6sYT_BE

Looks very nice. For me Bastion was a tiny bit overrated; beautiful, visually and sound wise, but the gameplay was very repetitive. Hopefully this mixes the same. Art direction is very very nice.

Replies

• reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    looks beautiful. I loved bastion, but i still haven't played through it - my kids play it a lot though.
  • AbKI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    Love their art direction. :D
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    I loved Bastion, loved everything about it, so needless to say, I'm very excited for this as well.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Nice! They've cleaned up the intense "color puke" that really turned me off of Bastion.

Hope they release on iOS off the bat this time! Gogo Supergiant! :)
  • Mithdia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmlnUCK9oWI"]Transistor - Uncommentated footage, by popular demand - YouTube[/ame]

There's also the commentated footage in the normal WTF is.. series
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Oh give that too me now...

I love the voice acting, really strong story by the sounds of it too ;)
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    If I could inject Bastion into myself I would. Loved that game soo much so you can guess I'm really looking forward to the release of Transistor.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mithdia D: this game makes my brain want to run marathons in photoshop...and also write.

bless you, supergiant. bless you to death.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Kinda supprised no one made a thread on this yet but Transistor came out 2 days ago. Its a other game by SuperGiant Games (same guys as bastion) which has some pretty cool game play and some of the best game art i have seen in a long time.

Steam Store
  • ambershee
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    If you don`t have this, get it.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh hell i didn't realize this came out already.

bought the crap out of it.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah my bad, guess it was back a page or 2
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Justin
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Oh man... I thought it looked great 'till I saw that gameplay video. You have a sword, and all you do is just stab it in the ground again, and again, and again...
    They may as well have made it a gun. At least it'd be less awkward to look at.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    Oh man... I thought it looked great 'till I saw that gameplay video. You have a sword, and all you do is just stab it in the ground again, and again, and again...

you got a planning stage, and can have 4 moves, with 2 passives to each move equipped at once, there is a lot more to the gameplay than swinging the sword around. Really only your starting move crash() is just hitting things with the sword, the rest are more advanced, than once you add passives there is a lot of things.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I loved Bastion, I'll check this out too!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Also loved bastion; will definitely play this at some point.
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Bastion, for me, is the best game of all time. So, definitely will pick this up!.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Couple of hours in so far. Loving it ;)
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    bought it, love it
    somehow they managed to put everything together so nicely, that its more of an interactive art journey, than a "game"
    also bought the soundtrack after listening to it on youtube
  • The Lama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lama polycounter lvl 5
    Can't get enough of the soundtrack, it's absolutely brilliant. The whole game is a very well crafted package. It's amazing what a few dedicated people can achieve, best of all the games inspired me to work harder at putting colour into my work.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    It is a lot deeper than that ;). You combine powers/nodes in various ways to get different effects, then you get better and learn to set up attacks, use pulls/pushes to set up chains and multiply damage/effects (combos). I think there is a demo for PSN/360. PC version with a 360 controller is the best option...
  • Danex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the soundtrack and the artstyle of this game!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I'm playing with a mouse and keyboard. Can't see the game working all that well with a gamepad.

I'm enjoying it a lot - the weapon system is reasonably well thought out and gives you reason to experiment and think about what you want to do with it. The art is great. I'm having some trouble getting into the story though (the fact they used the same narrator a second time bothers me more than it should too), and the game seems to move linearly through a series of combat zones, which is somewhat disappointing. Overall though, it's a very good game.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Ambershee: I'm the exact opposite. :) Played through the whole thing with a gamepad and wondered how/why I'd do so with a keyboard and mouse.

The story is kinda less than clear, but I think that's on purpose. The game is very linear with a few side pieces of flavor, but nothing that constitutes a story or gameplay branch.

They've kept the optional "make the enemy harder for more xp" mechanic from bastion, but with a different name and method of collection.

The voice actor(s) are the same, but the male actor's voice expression is different enough that they seem like different characters. So its not like Rucks is narrating the world to you.

I do think the weapons system is fantastic. There are many many effective combinations, though I've found I keep Jaunt() augmented with Spark() and Purge() as a near constant. This combo lets you teleport ahead while dropping 4 bombs and spawning 4 seeking projectiles that do DoT for each teleport jump, so you can traverse the battlefield and just do damage all over in your wake.

The art and style is just beautiful.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya just beat the game last night. Loved it but wish it was longer, i was only finding the really good function combos near the end, and felt it ended sooner than wanted.

Though the game has a new game+ type of thing going that greatly ups how hard the game is, and there are the limiters.

Vailias that Jaunt(Spark(), Purge()) is so so OP.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I beat it today - according to Steam it was 10 hours, which isn't that bad, though it definitely felt like less.

The real OP one is Switch, since if you combine it with Bounce you basically don't have to worry about enemies fighting back 90% of the time. I used Get( Bounce(), Switch() ) to great effect.

The real fun one is Get()(Void(), Bounce() )x3 -> Crash(Purge(), Load()) -> Mask( Flood() ), Cull(Spark(), Load() ) with passive Void() and Cull().

Basically it works like this - you pull in a large group of enemies with the first Get(), dealing them damage thanks to the passive Cull(), then repeat it twice point blank to get the maximum Void() bonus. Use Crash() to deal damage over time in the blast radius around you and to give you a combo bonus on your next hit. Mask will give you a double damage bonus for your next hit and Flood() will cause even more damage over time around where you're standing. Finally, you finish off with Cull(), dealing damage in a blast radius with additional smaller blasts.

The final cull is nuts - the base damage of 225 is already high, Spark() adds four more blasts that each do 100 more, then Load() increases it to 338 and 150 per blast. Then the stacked bonuses do the trick (150% from Void, 150% from Crash, 200% from Mask to give a total of 450% damage).

( 338 + (150 * 4) ) * 4.5 = 3546 damage from the final move. You can easily do 40-50k damage in one turn with this combo :)
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    The first time i watched the first 15 minutes gameplay video on youtube months ago, i've had my doubt over the combat system, looks so weird where the player just stab her sword on the ground over and over. And i'm not exactly a fan of the tactics system, i just wanted a game where i hack and slashing my way throughout the game just like Bastion.

But now i've played it, and i'm seriously happy to be wrong. The combat feels amazing and different from all the game i've played. So addictive!
    Not to mention the soundtrack and the art style of this game that happens to be perfect in my opinion.
    The only things that bugging me is that sometimes the environment is blocking my view in the middle of a battle. Other than that, everything is fantastic.