Home Digital Sketchbooks

Smessier WIPs (Critique me)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
smessier polycounter lvl 9
I'm interested in critiques, comments, and criticisms for everything I post here. I'm looking to improve my technical and artistic skills as a character artist. So please, have at it.

Here's a new female heroine I've been working on. She's rendered with raw bakes at 4096. I think I need to re-UV to increase her face real estate; I'd love to know if anyone has some tips on the best way to UV map heads. I plan on painting over the polypaint bake in photoshop, but I'd like to know if anyone has some tips on skin texturing as well.

screenshot000.png
screenshot001.png
screenshot002.png

Replies

• wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    hi there,

it is hard to crit technically, I think you need to show the wireframe and UVs for that : )

the forms seems pretty nice generally except for the ears that seems to be at a very straight angle, in the front view you should be able to see them stick out more. also, show what reference you are using to know what kind of features you are aiming for on this model... right now everything is reading okay but very generic at the same time.

As for the texture, it all depends what you are going for, in this case, it seems like you are going for something a bit stylized but still with realistic details. you might wanna check out this texture map from the last of us, it is a great diffuse map to study ; http://eaglespare.deviantart.com/art/The-Last-of-Us-Ellie-Original-Textures-by-Chrrox-409915311

hope this helps!
  • smessier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smessier polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Wizo for the comments.

I agree with the ears; I just wanted to get her gamerez to check out how details looked with a skin shader, so I really need to go back and fix those ears; they look gross.

I haven't used any reference yet, so that would explain why it's generic looking, so I'll be going back and using reference. I also agree I need to push her details and character further.

Ellie's texture map is pretty nasty, and a lot more simple than I would imagine. They also blew her face up considerably. Really great find, thanks a lot for sharing it. I'll definitely scrutinize it further.

Thanks again!