Home Dota 2

Jlem's concepts

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Jlem triangle
Hello! My name is Jlem (read as Lem), aka Jl and Jleming (also read as Leming), and this is my thread. I've done concepts mostly, but recently started to model.
Always opened for collab as some of my concpts are waaaay ahead of my modeling skills:D

Clockwerk (no name yet)
This is more "battle ready" clock's armor. He has battery assault on his right shoulder now and the claw is a replacement for his weapon
Eb_ELOP5_D8_ZM.jpg
Doom (WIP name - Corrupted by Darkness)
Doom has a dark corruption covering most of his body, but his inner fire is still burning which you can see by those red veinlets on the corruption.
setwithpic_V25.jpg
Crystal Valkyrie
r_F1go7_E.jpg
Doom (no name yet)
Doom got tired of his damaged wings, so he found new ones: he tore away Wildwing's and shaped them to remind his symbol. It is also Wildwing's skull between the wings.
Thinking of adding some bones sticking out to make it more brutal.
LZo_Cochi_Vc.jpg

More concepts are coming.

Replies

• [NB] Mohsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    WOAH. That Doom set is hella crazy. The only thing that worries me is that it all wont fit in the polygon limit. But it is definitely something for sure. awesome job man!
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    Thank you! Yeah, I'm also concerned about the polygon limit, but i think it is possible to find a way to fit it in, like making those "feathers" 2 dimensional or something like that
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    The Doom concept is really unique, but it completely changes the look of the character. I'd think its a completely new hero because it looks nothing like Doom.
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    The Doom concept is really unique, but it completely changes the look of the character. I'd think its a completely new hero because it looks nothing like Doom.

Gotta agree with that. It looks really nice, but I doubt it would make it into the game. It looks so different that I first thought it was a Warlock Golem.
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    Automedic wrote: »
    Gotta agree with that. It looks really nice, but I doubt it would make it into the game. It looks so different that I first thought it was a Warlock Golem.

Well, I think it's good to have sth that different, because such set won't make people wonder "what does this one have, that my set doesn't", also in action it will be easy to understand that this is Doom.
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could possibly change the color for the head item, maybe also make it still resemble Doom's face. Then, it could be better as a concept :)
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    You could possibly change the color for the head item, maybe also make it still resemble Doom's face. Then, it could be better as a concept :)

As they say, "a fish rots from the head", that's why head should be the most corrupted part. Moreover, according to some research I found and partly proved, such masks, with no eyes seen, creep people out, as they hide person's intentions. That's why, as I see it, this set should scare poeple as they see this mighty giant figure coming to them with absolutely no emotions.
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your so strange... I like it :P

But seriously, you should change the color of the mask atleast so it doesn't break his color scheme

And is this a bit based off of a digimon character? because im kinda getting a hue from there
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    Your so strange... I like it :P

But seriously, you should change the color of the mask atleast so it doesn't break his color scheme

And is this a bit based off of a digimon character? because im kinda getting a hue from there

Never whatched digimon actually, and saw only a t-rex digimon, so I got no hue from there.
    And the mask stays white
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    As a concept, I think it's really tight.

In regards to DOTA, I have a hard time seeing this implemented as it stands.

While I think its the mask might be a little bit of the problem, the glaring non-doom factor in my opinion, is the directional you have going with the feathery bits. Doom looks slick here, like a DMC villian, not like a barbaric hellspawn.

The mask is cool, and I understand its vital to your concept, but accept that it's a stark contrast from the core of the original character design, I think with some minor tweaks to the concept in favor of both doom/dota aesthetic themes while keeping the idea intact could yield a really awesome result. Keep it up.
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    LZo_Cochi_Vc.jpg
    Another concept for Doom, single item this time. Doom got tired of his damaged wings, so he found new ones: he tore away Wildwing's and shaped them to remind his symbol. It is also Wildwing's skull between the wings.
    Thinking of adding some bones sticking out to make it more brutal.
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    Here is a WIP concept for Venomancer. What do you think?
    X3rhqha_Sm1o.jpg
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    As a concept, I think it's really tight.

In regards to DOTA, I have a hard time seeing this implemented as it stands.

While I think its the mask might be a little bit of the problem, the glaring non-doom factor in my opinion, is the directional you have going with the feathery bits. Doom looks slick here, like a DMC villian, not like a barbaric hellspawn.

The mask is cool, and I understand its vital to your concept, but accept that it's a stark contrast from the core of the original character design, I think with some minor tweaks to the concept in favor of both doom/dota aesthetic themes while keeping the idea intact could yield a really awesome result. Keep it up.
    BTW, ty for feedback (dunno why i didn't answer before). I'll think on making this set closer to the game, yet keeping it this unique, though i really want to leave it as it is now, because it really makes that "wow" effect, and that is what's needed for people to vote for sth and buy it later.
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    Corrupted by Darkness V2.0
    Many of you asked to redo my Doom concept to make it more "doomish". Well, I think I nailed it. What do you think?
    set_REVAMP.jpg
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem wrote: »
    and that is what's needed for people to vote for sth and buy it later.

But at the end of the day Valve decides who is in and who is out.. so you are riding on the razors edge a bit, and perhaps not in the right favor.

Corrupted by Darkness V2.0
    Many of you asked to redo my Doom concept to make it more "doomish". Well, I think I nailed it. What do you think?

As for the tweaks I still don't think you have iterated on the concept enough, I dont understand the armor corset thing, I guess the design makes it seem like the corruption and the cloth are connected in some way. I really was digging the gauntlet design before as it was such a unique silhouette draw so I'm bit sad to see it go. The feathers have made some good steps but I'm still feeling a bit to noise. It seems almost Mononoke-esque, but pulling that off will be near impossible.

I think that the chest is actually the main problem area at the moment. Like you have this great sense of weight on the shoulders that (presumably) covers his entire back side (would be great to see a turn around of this guy), but then the upper chest just seems kind of forced and even. Like really after thought-y.

Finally, the game silhouette of Doom really REALLY accentuates his back, especially his shoulders and spine, I'd like to see you do some paintovers of the ingame because at the current moment it just feels too "blob of feathers" and muddling up that will make/break the vibe of this concept.

PS. Not having wings or wing esque things on doom is going to dramatically change the silhouette, and I'd be interested in seeing how you solve the problem.

Like I said, It's a good idea but as a concept for Dota you have a long road if you want this to work and be awesome, 2cents.
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    But at the end of the day Valve decides who is in and who is out.. so you are riding on the razors edge a bit, and perhaps not in the right favor.

As for the tweaks I still don't think you have iterated on the concept enough, I dont understand the armor corset thing, I guess the design makes it seem like the corruption and the cloth are connected in some way. I really was digging the gauntlet design before as it was such a unique silhouette draw so I'm bit sad to see it go. The feathers have made some good steps but I'm still feeling a bit to noise. It seems almost Mononoke-esque, but pulling that off will be near impossible.

I think that the chest is actually the main problem area at the moment. Like you have this great sense of weight on the shoulders that (presumably) covers his entire back side (would be great to see a turn around of this guy), but then the upper chest just seems kind of forced and even. Like really after thought-y.

Finally, the game silhouette of Doom really REALLY accentuates his back, especially his shoulders and spine, I'd like to see you do some paintovers of the ingame because at the current moment it just feels too "blob of feathers" and muddling up that will make/break the vibe of this concept.

PS. Not having wings or wing esque things on doom is going to dramatically change the silhouette, and I'd be interested in seeing how you solve the problem.

Like I said, It's a good idea but as a concept for Dota you have a long road if you want this to work and be awesome, 2cents.

Wow, thank you for this review of my concept.
    I really wanted to fit in the same gaunlet silhouette as in the first concept, but for some reason changed my mind at the last second. Now I have another reason to try to fit it in.
    The dark cloth wes made to add a bit of this dark color to the lowerbody, so that it had a smoother gradient from black to red. The same reason i added this grey corset... also i just like it
    I'll try to rework the chest peice to make it look better as an individual item, but i don't really understand what do you mean by "even" as a bad thing.
    I'll do some paintovers of the ingame, probably i'll paint over the screenshot you've linked.
    Acrually this concept has wings, but they're designed to look like a part of the shoulders and back feathers, and separately they look like Venge's wings, not really big and feathery.
    Again, thank you for this great feedback.
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    Doom radiance
    radiance.jpg
    Just a quick early concept sketch of a radiance for Doom. The main idea: Doom had a weapon but once he touched it with a hand of Midas wich made a part of this weapon golden. Only this part we may see on the radiance icon. I know that interpretations of the game items don't usually get accepted easily, but i wanted to share this idea with you.
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There has already been a radiance for doom made in the workshop...
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    There has already been a radiance for doom made in the workshop...

lots of them, i know. As i already said, this is just an idea i wanted to share
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thank you for this review of my concept.

No problem, and keep plugging at it! You got dis.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This Doom design will sure be polarizing ... but that can be a good thing. It's a fine line really, but I think you'll be able to find ways to make it work, while keeping it's uniqueness. I personally dig the Zeiram vibe, even if that's a bit of a risky design. Good luck !!
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    pior wrote: »
    This Doom design will sure be polarizing ... but that can be a good thing. It's a fine line really, but I think you'll be able to find ways to make it work, while keeping it's uniqueness. I personally dig the Zeiram vibe, even if that's a bit of a risky design. Good luck !!

Thank you, I'm doing my best to make it work without ruining the design.
    Never actually seen this Zeiram, though it indeed has similar face, mine even has the same mouth.

And just to make it clear, this design came to me while i stood in the middle of the night in my kitchen, God knows why, a bit drunk and sleepy. It just suddenly appeared in my head and I ran to my room to sketch it, while i still have it in my head, and that's how the first concept appeared. That's why it is so important for me, it was pure inspiration or sth:D
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    And I'm back again with my Doom set concept. Worked a bit on the chest piece and gauntlets, also did a small paintover of the ingame screenshot Heboltz3 provided.
    setwithpic_V25.jpg
  • Agumon(Hurricanemin)
    I am not a great 2d artist, I don't even consider myself as an artist completely, but I think It would be better if you do some changes in doom's face. No offense but he looks like riki with white color.

Other parts are just amazing.
    And all these are only my opinion.
  • ShapeIt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doom (WIP name - Corrupted by Darkness)
    Doom has a dark corruption covering most of his body, but his inner fire is still burning which you can see by those red veinlets on the corruption.
    set.jpg

It seems to me that these shoulders and head would suit Spectre more.
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    ShapeIt wrote: »
    It seems to me that these shoulders and head would suit Spectre more.

Already done, look in the comments
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    I am not a great 2d artist, I don't even consider myself as an artist completely, but I think It would be better if you do some changes in doom's face. No offense but he looks like riki with white color.

Other parts are just amazing.
    And all these are only my opinion.

None taken. Face is the most questionable part of this set for people but it is vital to the concept and all the reasons i've already listed somewhere above. If this set ever gets into workshop and only face will stop it from being in-game, I will concider making an alternative style, but I'll still insist on adding both of them
    Thank you
  • Pastat7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like venecian mask ? -The face ?
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    Pastat7 wrote: »
    Like venecian mask ? -The face ?

Yes, it is
  • Pastat7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    those things are spooky even on people :D
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    Pastat7 wrote: »
    those things are spooky even on people :D
    That's the point of it:D
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    Haven't been posting anything recently as I was working on a concept for a couple of weeks and my collab partner just stopped answering messages.
    Anyhow, here's an early TB set concept, hope you'll like it
    P.S. the hood is just an idea, probably still gonna make horns for this set
    TBTB.jpg
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Haven't been posting anything recently as I was working on a concept for a couple of weeks and my collab partner just stopped answering messages.
    Anyhow, here's an early TB set concept, hope you'll like it
    P.S. the hood is just an idea, probably still gonna make horns for this set

Looks really nice, this better have a metamorph form! :poly121:
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, nice concept man! Really has the demon marauder feel to it.
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    Reyne wrote: »
    Wow, nice concept man! Really has the demon marauder feel to it.

Thank you, that means the goal is achieved:D
    vertical wrote: »
    Looks really nice, this better have a metamorph form! :poly121:

On it's way, hopefully will have first concept in a couple of days:)
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome TB set!
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    MdK wrote: »
    Awesome TB set!

Thank you
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    Hello, everyone! Long time no see
    My TB concept got kinda taken, so I couldn't post it WIP.
    But i also started to work on Udying set conccept, called Dead God's Harbringer. Tomb, golem and mini zombies are coming later.

[TAKEN]
    image.jpg
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    Again, couldn't post the rest of the Undying set as it got taken, that's why haven't posted anything. So I'll post 2 of my recent sketches for future concepts, to keep my thread alive.
    Crystal Valkyrie (wip name) set for CM
    Vp8g_U1_D2z_Gc.jpg[/url]

and Elder Titan set
    image.jpg[/url]
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    Sth for this MCC, gonna try to model it myself, so if everything goes fine - gonna rename the thread to Jlem's workshop:D
    Dragon_Blade.jpg
  • HFresch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, you should put more work into that Elder Titan set! I really like the direction you've taken with it, and would like to see it completed. Even in the game!
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    HFresch wrote: »
    Dude, you should put more work into that Elder Titan set! I really like the direction you've taken with it, and would like to see it completed. Even in the game!

Thank you, yeah, as soon as i get inspired the way i did, when i drew this sketch, I'll finish it, but right now i focused on learning 3D and finishing this DK blade
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    I've decided, that being a concept artist is not so much fun, so I'll try myself at modeling. I've chnged my mind about this MCC entry, I'll join with the mighty
    OMNIBEARD :D
    Highpoly
    N5my_Em_Fc_T54_1.jpg
    600 poly
    tjr161my_ZEk.jpg
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Manly as hell, I love it!
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    man that undying set is the bomb.
    good luck to whoever executes it.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Nice beard, but you probably should load up his armor just so you don't clip.

And take screenshots!
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    Manly as hell, I love it!

BEARD POWEEER:D
    Thank you
    Goeddy wrote: »
    man that undying set is the bomb.
    good luck to whoever executes it.

Thank you, good luck indeed:D
    Nice beard, but you probably should load up his armor just so you don't clip.

And take screenshots!

Well I took this shots a bit in a hurry for a friend, and when decided to post this, i thought "eh, that'll work for a WIP"
    Gonna take screenshots next time:)
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    Updated omnibeard highpoly a bit
    Turns out this "lowpoly" mesh I did was 2000 poly, damn ZRemesher:D
    Still learning modeling, hopefully gonna make proper lowpoly by monday
    y_HJgf_Xf_Rrfs.jpg
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    While I'm still trying to retopo Omnibeard, here's a finished concept of Crystal Valkyrie
    r_F1go7_E.jpg
  • Jlem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    Still can't go further than highpoly. Eh, baby steps. Here's a highpoly for Beastmaster head item. Gonna need a lot of blendshapes :)
    gmpGEFJ.jpg