Home General Discussion

how did you start filling your resume ?

fandiwhuang
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
fandiwhuang polycounter lvl 9
hi , i just checked my own resume and then i realised that i have nothing on the "experience" part.

my current job is just a cashier so i don't think its appropriate to put in there as an "experience".

my questions are how did you professionals start filling your resume ?
i mean in order to get a job you need to have "work experience",right?
unpaid work ? what kind of unpaid work do you think worth taking ? is it good idea ? and how did you survive having no money ?

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    are you an artist? get a portfolio.

nobody cares about your resume, it doesnt matter if your a 12 year old with magical 3D powers (unless that would count as child labor, then its illegal and a problem, but you have magic powers so I guess its OK anyways).

and if you dont have experience, dont freaking have an experience section in your resume :) Tataa! problem solved!
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    You can also list projects such as mods you may have worked on or other game-related work you've done. Time in QA, a published tabletop module... pretty much anything that will indicate "I know how a game company does some stuff" can go in there. But really, you could probably hand over a piece of paper* with your name, contact info, portfolio address, and nothing else on it and still be all right.

What if the 12 year old only has magic 3D powers? Magic 3D powers aren't going to help with child labor laws, you need magic lawyer powers for that.

* I suddenly feel old for some reason.
  • fandiwhuang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :lol true that ... im just so confused everytime i see a vacancy they always say 3-5 years games experience :p

child labor law doesn't exist in some country ..there's hope !!! :lol
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    The reason they all say that is because they want to deter people from applying when they've just made a teapot on a reflective floor. Apply anyway.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Experience could be working on a mod team, creating assets for the unity store, making weapons for TF2 or Dota2, etc. You could also put in contests and awards.

If you haven't done anything worth listed, don't put a section for that.
  • fandiwhuang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would suggest not looking for artist work until your skills are at a level worth marketing. Once you're at that point, start getting experience doing mods and taking part in challenges. You won't get paid, but it's good experience. You'll have to meet a deadline, work under technical constraints, and your work will be in front of eyeballs. Freelance is another option, but don't think of freelance as work for people who can't get a studio job. It's not at all. Think of it as a professional job for people who prefer to work without pants on. Your skills need to be at the same level as a studio artists, and you also have to be able to market yourself and manage your business. That's a tall order and most people can't swing it effectively.

excellent tips . how to know when i'm at the level of "worth marketing" ? and when i get to that level ,any tips where and how to start doing mods ??
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    A good resume concise and clean is always a plus. Anybody going to attempting to go for a professional job needs a clean 1 page resume.

Mod teams help sometimes those mod team member get gigs and you are first pickings. That is how it happened with me in the UT days. School is also important depending on what your trying to enter as. School is a plus, but not the sole thing that will get you a gig.

Going to college of sorts proves one thing your willing to get through a project in this case your personal studies if you care enough to finish college or mods than that will always be a good sign for employers.

The end thing I would say care for your work but also make it palpable for studios you want to work with (do not go abstract crazy) and put your all in it and you will be fine.

How to know if your work is good enough. Look at people who are Jr level and just got a gig in the industry check out the portfolios and you can gauge your level kind of like that. You will see even Jr. level people are pretty high standards.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    When I was a rookie (no industry experience) I listed "collaborative" experience from my university time. After that, I took all that off my resume and only list my professional experience
  • fandiwhuang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio wrote: »
    A good resume concise and clean is always a plus. Anybody going to attempting to go for a professional job needs a clean 1 page resume.

Mod teams help sometimes those mod team member get gigs and you are first pickings. That is how it happened with me in the UT days. School is also important depending on what your trying to enter as. School is a plus, but not the sole thing that will get you a gig.

Going to college of sorts proves one thing your willing to get through a project in this case your personal studies if you care enough to finish college or mods than that will always be a good sign for employers.

The end thing I would say care for your work but also make it palpable for studios you want to work with (do not go abstract crazy) and put your all in it and you will be fine.

How to know if your work is good enough. Look at people who are Jr level and just got a gig in the industry check out the portfolios and you can gauge your level kind of like that. You will see even Jr. level people are pretty high standards.

yeah they are pretty awesome indeed... any idea a good place to start looking for modding team ???
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    On every resume, yuo should be putting your last 3 jobs, regardless of what they are. Currently mine is broken into two sections though. Relevant work experience and work history. The latter being last on my resume.

Straight outta school, you should put your education and relevant work experience at the top. If you dont have relevant stuff, just put education, followed by your program fluency, then your work history at the end. Don't be a fool and leave your work history off just because its not relevant. Having worked before still plays a big part. Working at mcDicks still shows team work and punctuality and all that jazz.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah they are pretty awesome indeed... any idea a good place to start looking for modding team ???

Unpaid Work (General requests, mod teams, niche projects, etc.)
    If you're looking for something for free (models, textures, mod help), post your request here. This forum is for mod teams looking for artists and unpaid requests.

see also Game and Mod Development Article and Some mod guidelines.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Same here, I have little to none 3d artist related exp, so I fill it up with some others.
    I have Relevant Experience, and Work History categories.
    For Relevant, I have Game QA, Collaborate as 3D Modeller, Mobile App QA and Web Designer Internship.
    For Work History, I have Ballroom Dance Instructor and Tech Director for a dance studio listed <_<"

Hopefully I can get my portfolio to look awesome soon.
  • poly_bob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poly_bob polycounter lvl 3
    Ever thought about volunteering at a gaming related event or org?

I did this before getting my first job. Good way to fill in some empty space in your resume. And show that you are serious about the game industry. Also good for networking. Meeting some like minded people.

I volunteered at a indie game event called Games for Change. Didn't make any connections with anyone. But it was nice to get out of the house and away from the computer but still be doing something related to gaming.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going a little off topic, but volunteering at GDC is also a good way to get free/very cheap entry. Not something I would put on a resume but a good experience for many other reasons.
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    True! volunteering work is great for conventions even if your in the industry already, sometimes you get to meet interesting people and get potential gigs.

how to get into mods.

Rules of general work or working for free like mods especially...

1. Never work on something you do not like or feel passionate about.

2. Find a game that is mod friendly and find the mod you are interested in.

3. Contact them that you are interested on working on the project.

3. Do it for fun! mods are usually not pro endeavors and same for the team. (A mod team is more likely to succeed on making a marketable game if they start with fun in mind, not money)

4. Do not get trapped by odd contracts... do not sign NDA crap this always leads to odd lawyer crap. The only time you should be signing stuff is if you have money involved in that case have someone who is contract savvy to check it before you sign.

5. Never work for a person who does nothing but send commands to others... "The director" "the leader" has to be part of the team and do something... Like programming or something of value.

6. Never work on projects that do not have a programmer... this is an instant fail.

7. Try to avoid mods being done by teens... This can get messy sometimes.

8. The work you make is your intellectual property. The mod team or leader does not have the rights to your stuff... even if you are threatened.

9. Keep in contact with team member even years later one day you can work with them again. One day you could be the boss of them or reverse.

10. Do not feel bad if a mod does not succeed try and try again. The content is still yours and that is all that matters.

I know I can think of more but ill stop here.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    6. Never work on projects that do not have a programmer... this is an instant fail.

Uhh. I'm pretty sure we had a few long periods of 'programmerlessness' despite the fact that we work on a project that's relatively well known and anticipated in the modding community.
    I can see how it slows down development but it's not much different from not having animators or experienced character artists onboard.
    In most cases it's a temporary state and doesn't say much about project's chances of suceeding.
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Lessness of programmer is different than no programmer :D I have been in that situation also and you have a good sample going a programmer should be easy to find.
  • fandiwhuang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow... thx everyone for the advices now i've got better idea what i should do next :D