Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tileable sculpted texture practices

igi
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
igi polycounter lvl 12
hello, Recently I decided to dive into the process of making tileable textures in Zbrush. Coming along slowly but hoping to speed up my process within following practices. Didn't polypaint them but looks like it has some benefits. Comment and critiques are more than welcomed, thanks.

This is the first one that didn't end up too ugly to show the public :poly122:

rock_wall_angular_dem_1.png

rock_wall_angular_fin_3.png

And another one, more like a proper stone wall.

Hi-poly sculpt
Slab_Wall_Sculpt_1.png

And baked texture, taken from modo viewport.

stone_wall_tex_wip_1.png

StoneWall_2.png

Final material, UE4 obviously.

StoneWall_1_Fin.png

I intend to go more complex and different surface types within my following practices. Comment and critiques are more than welcomed, thanks.

Replies

• Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Igi, long time no see ;)

What are your thoughts on the process so far?

What is your take on the new MODO 801 to UE4 pipeline? Have you encountered any problems with it (FBX export etc)?
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Hello Casper, how's it going? Hope you guys doing well :)

With Modo 801 now we're able to edit vertex normals individually. And they included a built-in edge normal hardness edit tool. All of these features require a vertex normal map, as Farfarer's vertex normal toolkit creates one automatically. Modo's built-in vertex edit tools and Farfarer's toolkit can work together without a problem as far as I experienced. About default smoothing groups, no they won't import well to UE4. And Farfarer's normal toolkit is damn too convenient so it's better to stick with it since you'll be needed a vertex normal map in order to use modo801 extra vertex normal edit features too. Modo now can cagebake as well, it works pretty well(haven't tested for synced results, usual split uv islands along hardedges approach so far). Good for hardsurface stuff where you likely to not go outside the modo during whole process. UE4 import requires checking 'import normals' option since all surface shading data being stored in vertex normal map. And yes it works with skeletal meshes too! Importing vertex normals instead of calculating them apparently becoming a norm, since I've seen many epic example assets using the same way. With fbx.2013 export the vertex counts staying with some very reasonable numbers compared to previous experiences. In my perspective I no more see any reason to avoid using modo for game-art.

this baked in modo and then exported to ue4

modo_cagebaked.png

About the tileable process, it's a bit pain. Need to find a way to cut off tedious placement thingy, offsetting and duplicating the subtools takes lots of time. And I realized I should leave less gaps in-between the stones, kind of feels like plunged into the grout, they looks like ground pavements instead of walls. Next update soon(hopefully)!
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I like your wall, but I do see what you mean. Depends on your direction :)
    Lets go on skype instead!
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Hello, I made one more tileable texture. Terracotta roof tiles, hope you like it :) Comment&critiques welcomed.

Terracota_Tiles_fin_1.png

Terracota_Tiles_fin_2.png

Terracota_Tiles_fin_3.png