Home Technical Talk

Substance Designer / Painter noob questions

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
Hey,

Today I bought the Substance indie package from Steam and have spent the day trying to wrap my head around the various pieces of software. Currently feel like I've just been banging my head against a wall and wasted a lot of money.

I've managed to put together an incredibly basic multimaterial in SD and publish it in the hope I can bring it into SP and continue adding to my textures but I can't find any information on doing this.

If I import my substance it gets added to the shelf on various tabs (brushes/stencils/masks/textures), but how do I set the scene up to use my SD created substance as the start point for painting?

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man, interoperability between Painter and Designer isn't that polished yet. You can combine stuff from them but for now it's still easier to use one or the other. So that means you don't have to use Designer if you want to use Painter.
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did manage to bring the substance in as a fill layer in the end, though there were still visual differences between the two. I tried just using Painter for adding some decals to my object and then put them together in photoshop. Main problem I have now is the huge difference between what substance and UE4 displays which you can see in my thread here - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134733
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Its definitely money well spent. Give it some time, everything will fall into place and you wont be able to live without it.
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah, I forgot that I'd started this thread. Spent more time with it since buying and I can see sooo much potential for it already, despite having hardly scratched the surface. I take it all back, it's brilliant, and the 4.3 update has made it even better with the Yebis 2 viewport effects (glad I held off on upgrading my Marmoset TB1 license last week).