Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ram Statue sculpt {ZBrush}

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
oxblood polycounter lvl 9
Most recent Update :
sculpt_2.jpg

Hi guys, I am working on a sculpture im working on, this is where I am so far, any feedback or tips would be really appreciated

ramstatue.jpg
image upload no compression

Replies

• AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    good luck on the job dude!
    My crit is that the details are pretty shallow, that may be due to the concept art though, and if you are going to texture you could emphasize them then.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey firth, the concept had minimal detail on it, that's why I didn't really want to go all out, and they don't want me to texture it, they just wana see if I can sculpt.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya Oxblood,

Perhaps the concept has minimal detail to allow you to be creative? If they are asking to see your sculpting skills it'd be a shame not to show that! I would use the concept a rough guide and try and fill in between the lines with your own personality. If they wanted someone to exactly recreate the asset they would most likely outsource the asset. Usually these tests are almost like Character tests for you, see how much personality you put into your work.

I agree with Firith though, you are only 'scratching' at the surface and not creating any larger form changes in the sculpt. Generally stone reliefs are exaggerated in order to allow them to stand the test of time, the more fiddly details would not have lasted long with the general wear and tear of life.

Also you have a lot of fine trims that look very delicate, you should try bulking these out to give a stronger, more impressive look - this would also give you more surface area to sculpt into. This would help you also if you came to bake the asset out. The more bulky, soft forms will be picked up much better by the normal map bake than the smaller details.

You're also lacking a lot of surface definition through the sculpt, what is the breakup between stone/ metal? How were they constructed?

If they are judging you soley on sculpting skills - I'd suggest looking at some of Kevin Johnstone's (http://www.kevinjohnstone.com/) zbrush work and setting that as your quality bar/ reference point. Hope this helps!
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Scotthomer, I have taken you and firths advice and put some more into the sculpt despite the concept. It does make sense, if its a sculpting art test they will probably want me to go all out, thanks for the link also btw, also heres an update

Untitled_1.jpg
    images upload
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    +1 everything Scott said.

Focus on having a balance of large, medium, and small shapes in the scuplt. Right now it's all small details. Artists like Kevin or Scott, etc all strike a good balance of detail levels.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok kl im bulking up the details now
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Are you using reference for the ram? If you aren't you should and if you are you need to rethink the proportions.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well. the concept had quite a blocky shape to it.. like the first post, then I started looking at actuall reference and I suppose I got caught between the two? but I will go back to the shape of the concept and sculpt the detail that way
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers. Didn't mean to come off as harsh . Is the concept stylized? Are you under nda or can you show it?
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's definitely got some nice angles to it you are missing. You are on the right track though. Push those shapes!
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    You should explicitly ask about permission to show your art test and their concept on a forum.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are some significant differences between the ram's head in your model and the concept. Most notably, the snout is wider and the horn spiral is much tighter.

The base of which the ram's head is resting should be wider - the wedges should also be much longer.

While they are interested in your sculpting ability, your ability to match the concept's shape & proportion is important.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I submitted my art test to the company and they got back to me saying they liked it but still want to see a little more, they have some crit for me that I'm waiting to receive, this is what I sent in.

Ryan_Bowen_Splash_Damage_Sculpt.jpg
    how to take screenshots

Art_Test_01_1.jpg
    image sharing sites

Any further feedback would be perfect, I really want to get this right.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You didn't really make any changes to the ram skull other than widening its snout. Yours looks like a bear dog of some sort, with very soft unsculpted features. The horns have 0 love, like you basically skipped them after you blocked them in. Going that extra step is making things look dynamic and dramatic. jasper-ram-c2a9-christopher-martin-5702.jpg
    Use reference for things you don't know how to do and even if you feel like you got something locked down always double check.
    I mean to put it this way, who are they going to hire? Someone who just does enough to make it passable or someone who makes them say 'holy shit that looks amazeballs?"
    There are at least a 100 guys on this forum who would kill for the chance to take this test you are taking.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your right dimfist....
    alright lets do this! :poly118:
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    The concepts stylised approach to the ram horns work well with the rest of the linework of the concept. By bring in the influence of the real world reference it may damage that. But the choice is yours.

One crit I have for you, the horns could be wider like the concept. Try getting the base shape of the head then giving it the once over with trim dynamic to give it that chiseled look.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    you really are missing a lot of scale and proportions compared to the concept everything feels very flat like its a pattern on a chocolate bar, some stuff needs to be wider some stuff needs to extrude thicker just look at it, overlay in photoshop, proportionally measure if you have to.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't saying to stray from the stylized but he still needs to know the anatomy of the ram in order to catch it stylized or more closer to real.
    Besides the concept artist spent a ton of time on the pillar but mostly showed some form for the ram so that he could explore with his sculpt. They want to see his sculpting skills, so he has a chance to show it with that ram head.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Somehow that reminds me of Dune videogame, House Harkonnen. Very cool ^^
  • imApex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imApex polycounter lvl 8
    I personally think the pillar looks really great. the ram could use some work, but even it looks pretty good so far!
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I have applied the advice given and the principles the guys at the studio gave me. and this is where I am so far, btw I havn't worked too much into the head and the horns yet they still need love iknow. but this is what I have up to this point... Round 2 !

newsculpt.jpg
    photo uploader
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another update got the detail back , I thought I'd present it different this time.
    sculpt_2.jpg
    how to use print screen
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Zarakun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zarakun polycounter lvl 7
    Nice details and the ram shape seems more defined this time. I don't know if it's because of your image size but from this distance your edges for a high poly sculpt are way too sharp and I don't know if they would transfer well to a normal map. You could probably smooth them a little bit to make them thicker. I try to use a matcap with strong contrast to visualize how thick my edges are during my sculpt process and how they appear when I rotate my view.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    I submitted this earlier today, so its kindoff too late but I'll defiantly work on it in my own time.

I didn't sculpt into the metal because the referance given to me doesnt really much damage, alsoI would expect the wear/tear to be added with textures and I wouldn't expectct scratches to have any affects on the silhouette. None the less advice has been taken on board and I will make these changes to push things further to use it as a portfolio piece.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Good luck man!

Good crits Nerfbatninja :)

p.s.
    A grunge/wear/tear over the metal areas would have made a small but significant effect on the model. It shows you are picky and go into substantial detail :)
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Good luck, I think next time you should try and lineup the concept with your model more before zbrushing. You can see stuffs been added and the nice silhouette/proportions aren't quite there from the concept. Still a good model but following a concept is a quite crucial skill to have for any artist. Your doing well though :)