Home Technical Talk

Posing a Zbrush figure that is (partially) decimated

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
OccultMonk interpolator
When you create a very high poly Character you often have to decimate parts of the clothing and props to keep it workable. How would you go about posing a character that is already (Partially) decimated?. Would you still use Transpose master and then rig/pose the character in 3DSMax with bones and skin modifier? Or is this workflow not suited for meshes that are decimated and therefore fairly high poly. Normally transpose master exports on the lowest subdivision, but for decimated meshes there are no subdivisions.

I would also like to ask if there are any good 3DSMax posing/rigging tutorials) that also include props/hard surface objects like pieces of armor?

Replies

• Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    Usually I only ever use decimation master to bring it down to a workable amount of tri's for exporting/baking. I would try to keep from decimating anything until you are done sculpting on the mesh altogether. If you need to keep things at a workable level, then split it off as a subtool and hide it or keep the individual subtool at it's lowest level.

Decimation master obviously does a great job of keeping the silhouette intact, but completely destroys the topology. You can try to bring it back by using dynamesh.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    For very complex figures it can be practical to use decimation on subtools to see all the parts of the figure at a detailed level at the same time. I know this is a technique frequently employed when creating complex models. But for posing purposes it does not seem to be an option as you say.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    work with proper basemeshesad you will not have to decimate, like ever

decimated meshes are horrible, the shading can be partially broken, you lose a lot of zbrushs great functions, i really can't recommend working with them.

for posing you don't need your meshes at the highest level and as long as you have seperate subtools you can crank up the polycount of your "scene" like a mad man
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Thanks, I will try not to use decimation anymore before posing then and pay extra attention to my base meshes.