Home General Discussion

BoolTool-Mesh Fusion for Blender?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
Saw this earlier. Still WIP though, and I think I need to see more action to have an opinion about the tool flexibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVP_3Yc6pJo

Nuke this thread if old.

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! That looks slick. I wish MeshFusion would also work with low poly geo - it currently only works with subd. I love that this sort of thing is happening in more apps though! It should be a standard part of workflow in the coming years...
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Oh man that's sexy, I would use this all the time.
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    God, why do thread titles have to be always so bombastic as opposed to true?

It's quite an interesting addon, but it just changes the way you apply booleans,
    doesn't produce subd ready surface or change the way booleans work in any other way
    which would justify the title (meshfusion.

You can do whatever you want with cubes, but try using Blender booleans in realtime in a real world scenario.
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombastic? That's projecting a bit on my intentions, I feel. I merely provided a reference of a tool that works in a similar away regarding real time boolean manipulations. Also, we still don't know if will not produce subd ready outputs, as of now.
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    I'm just talking from a point of view of someone who actually uses Blender and it's booleans, not just wishful thinking.

It's just a nice UI to set up built-in Blender modifiers and nothing more, you can do the same with a few clicks more.

Don't misguide people with stupid titles like that,
    if it has meshfusion functionality then go ahead and call it meshfusion for Blender.
    Also, we still don't know if will not produce subd ready outputs, as of now.
    I guess every retopo plugin will be Zremesher for Blender, cause we don't know it doesn't produce the same results someday.
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I reconized the tool seemed in early stages of development, and if you feel the finished product does not have the potential that's absolutely fair. I won't derail any potential discussion that could be had and the mod staff may change the thread title to something more apt if they feel the need to do so.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    frmdbl wrote: »
    God, why do thread titles have to be always so bombastic as opposed to true?

It's quite an interesting addon, but it just changes the way you apply booleans,
    doesn't produce subd ready surface or change the way booleans work in any other way
    which would justify the title (meshfusion.

You can do whatever you want with cubes, but try using Blender booleans in realtime in a real world scenario.

iam with frmdbl on this one
    i just isnt really useful as of now.. sure if you use booleans every 20seconds its a timesaver for sure, but thats about it...

and here i was hoping for a clever adaption of the real modo thing, now that would be AMAZING
  • rls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rls polycounter lvl 3
    Nice, it will be cool to use this tool. Really usefull
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sure MDiamond didn't mean to mislead, but MeshFusion is a LOT more than just booleans. Booleans in Blender are pretty good (the Carve library seems fairly robust), but I do really want that extra functionality that MeshFusion offers, although I don't think there's much use untill Blender's viewport handles high polycounts better (which is being worked on).
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    You can download it here:

https://github.com/vitorbalbio/code/tree/master/BoolTool

It's very nice actually, awesome for concepting.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    I'm a long time blender user and I love BoolTool. I also love Zbrush. BoolTool is ideal for quick architecture and small props and compliments Dynamesh very well.