I think it´s time to ask for a help (Folio Review)

polycounter lvl 12
Online / Send Message
Dado Almeida polycounter lvl 12
That´s it.

Those last months of my life were a great exercise of self-management, over-thinking about my art and this sense of "what I do next?".

Knowing that this feelings (anxiety, burnout, block, plateau) is common for every people (Artist or not) in their careers, I tried to fix myself with a lot of reading, listening and - the most important - having conversations with online friends and closer ones.

But when it comes to Goals setting, I think I´ll ask for help in public. There´s ton of channels for it around, but I think over here I will have the most trustful and 'direct to the point' feedback.

I´m thankful if you guys can give me some of your time to check my portfolio and back to me with some feedback.

Please, keep it harsh and real. I have 33 now. I can handle. ;-)

Here´s my folio: www.dadoalmeida.com

And, this is something that I´m using to bypass this 'artist-block' period: a personal project. If you, struggling artist, are in the same stage. Please consider start something for YOU now. It´s a big relief.

---

Little addendum: Maybe it´s important to say that I´ll be using those feedback to work on a new folio and setting some study goals.
Thank you! A lot.

Replies

• Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycounter lvl 12
    well your work is really nice, so I find it hard to know what to advise apart from maybe take a break, man.
  • Drav
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 7
    Your work seems great to me.....I think your illustrations are better than your concept work, your illustration is very good indeed

Perhaps some more variety would be good, particularly on the concept side. Most of your work is in a particular style, flat shaded, cartoony. Maybe try some other art styles, to show some versatility.

Im an absolutely terrible concept artist btw, so take what i say with that in mind!

Cheers, hf!
  • Dado Almeida
    Online / Send Message
    Thanks guys,

Ruz: what do you mean by take a break? Vacation?

Drav: thanks for your time Drav. Yep, that´s something I heard before (versatility). Gonna add that to the list for sure.
  • Eric Chadwick
    First off, why is this in GD and not in P&P?

The portfolio page has a HUGE header, and a bunch of text, before I see your art. I would compress the header way way up, so the art appears sooner. Your statement of purpose can be much shorter and to the point. Pior's site comes to mind. http://pioroberson.com/

Halfling thumbnail is missing a link to the larger uncropped image?

More feedback later, telephone.
  • Dado Almeida
    Online / Send Message
    @EricChadwick: Yeah, I did on purpose. Maybe I was a little hopeless about not been 'seen' again. If you feel it need to be moved, please do it.

Regarding your feedback about the presentation itself. Good points. Going to change it in the next few hours. Thank you.
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 5
    Rather than having the section for illustration stacked on top of the one for production, you might consider a side by side layout. So one column would be your production work and the other would be illustrations. That way viewers can see you've done both straight away. (I need to do this with my own site.) Also, move your strongest work to the top, you've got some real gems buried near the bottom of both sections.

Nice work man!
  • Dado Almeida
    Online / Send Message
    @Equanim: thanks for this one man. Adding your points for when messing with the layout.

About the pieces that you think are 'buried gems', can you point some of them? This could give me a real direction for future production or studies. Please take your time for this.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycounter lvl 8
    Hey there Dado.

I don't know how valuable my advice could be considered, but from my perspective what your portfolio's missing is MOAR! I know there seems to be a thing with portfolios, choosing your absolute best and having them up there to represent you, but I'm not entirely sure this should always be the case with 2D folk. In a realm where you're probably not going to specialize so specifically (I paint and concept environment props?), and can potentially portray so many different things - throw a large body of work up there, you have it! Maybe a 3D artist wouldn't have a "sketch" section, for example, but you certainly can.

Below are a few of my favorite portfolios. You're probably familiar with them:

http://www.artpad.org/gallery
    http://www.justinsweet.com/GALLERY/index.html
    http://www.flaptrapsart.com/g-a-l-l-e-r-y.html

You have sections with more finished, more recent pieces, but you also have sections for older work. Sections for sketches, quick ideas. All of these things I think can be relevant with 2D work. They help to show consistency, workflow, more base knowledge. Help to illustrate (lol) that the few "finished" pieces you have up are things you're able to do consistently, they're not just things you happened to manage with oodles of free time. That's not to say you should throw up everything you've ever done, it may still wind up being only a fraction of what you've actually put to paper, but if it shows skill and understanding I think it potentially has a place in a section of your 'folio.

You have some things in your blog, some of it traditional stuff, that I think sells your skills just as well as what you have up now even if it's not as "finished". Example 1, Example 2, Example 3. <-- I think things like this are a refreshing change of pace from the more stylized flat shaded digital work you sometimes do. But I have to read and visit your blog, and then do a lot of scrolling to go find it.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Good luck Dado.
  • Dado Almeida
    Online / Send Message
    @Two Listen: Well, that´s an interesting point of view Two Listen.
    I have to admit that in the last two/three years I kept myself clean as possible by purpose. Removed mostly of the Wips and Sketchs to showcase just 'the best' pieces I have done.

And yes. Since Blogs are a dead thing right now, I´m not sure mine (which contains more of that stuff you point) are making any difference for me.

I don´t know. Maybe there was some trend in the past years and I jump on the bandwagon without realize that this part is important, indeed, to showcase.

Good points man. Thank you a lot for your time. Please let me know if I can offer you some help in the future.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycounter lvl 12
    dado - yeah I meant take a vacation or at least just do something else for a while, it can really help.
    I have been refurbishing my house for the last few months and it has been a good distraction from working on art stuff.
    a change is as good as a rest, as they say
  • Dado Almeida
    Online / Send Message
    @Ruz: Oh. Thanks man. Definitively that´s a good idea and indeed helpful for the mind. But at this point, were I´m seeing the freelance gigs drying and drying (or going for directions that I´m not passionate about), there´s no chance (or money) to think about take some time off. Actually I don´t feel the need.

I feel more like taking your feedback and using as steam to upgrade. ;)

Btw. I write a lot for relief man. Filled up two Journals and this is opening my mind in different ways. Is like productive-meditation.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Hmm, all the images in the Illustrations section seem to be broken?

Thumbnail for "Design Ideas for 'Tower Defense Like' assets." isn't clickable.

I like the smaller headline! There are a couple grammatical errors though:
    I´m a Professional Concept Artist and Illustrator working on the Entertainment Industry.
    • Professional isn't usually capitalized
    • working in the, not working on the
    • Entertainment Industry isn't usually capitalized

I made this a couple months ago, to help my students figure out what they need in their portfolios. Some of it might help you...
    http://wiki.polycount.net/PortfolioContents
  • Dado Almeida
    Online / Send Message
    Ops! Wow, you got me while changing stuff. :)

But thanks anyway Eric.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Dado Almeida
    Online / Send Message
    ^ Something like this.

Maybe I should bring back and use the famous "This Site is Under construction" gif. ;-P
  • gustavotorqueto
    Offline / Send Message
    gustavotorqueto polycounter lvl 3
    Can you post one artist that is the definition of "goal" for you?
    normally when I´m painting I put on the side one image that is a goal for me just to see where I want to be in my production, and how far I´m as a artist. =)

So one way to help you, is to know where is your goal! =)
  • Dado Almeida
    Online / Send Message
    @GustavoTorqueto: thanks for the question Gustavo.

Yeah. That´s something I rarely think about. I do not have a 'role model' that´s doing exactly what I like to do. Don´t know.
    But I do have people/studios out there that´s doing stuff that I´d love to work on.

Your point is super-valid and I´ll using it + the other feedback to give my production a different (more streamlined) direction.

The wiki page linked by Eric Chadwick, per example, can give a pretty clear idea of what to produce next.

That´s it guys. I still open for more comments and suggestions.

If you´re interested, I gave the portfolio (www.dadoalmeida.com) a revamp. Added more work (some of them new) and simplified all content that´s not Art.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 8
    Hey man, Do you use skype, I could write a massive post but i think it would be more helpful to talk to you in realtime.

If so shoot me a message, just search for murry lancashire.
  • Dado Almeida
    Online / Send Message
    Hi Muzz,

Added you there. Ping me when you´re available.