Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Application for a University

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Dethling polycounter lvl 11
Hi,

I'm planning to go back to school to get me degree in Game Design (Focus: Art).
To get a seat for it, I have to apply first by creating something related to a specific topic.
This years topic is "Boundaries [location] [time]"

I can chosse my own location and time for it and also what I want to do (Art, levels, tabletop games.. everything which is related to game design is fine).

I decided to create a game concept paper.
I want to spare you with the details for the game, so here's a quick overview:
On modern earth (2017) scientists discover portals which lead to another world.
This world is an abandoned fantasy world, where magic exist and strange creatures live.

The base idea for the game is to be a third-person exploration game, where the player is sent to this strange world to explore and conquer it.

One of the basic concepts should be the confrontation between modern technology and fantasy (think of "US Military invades Avalon").

I plan to do one or two scene which should show this conflict between fantasy and modern tech/military. Also some smaller props and a breakdown of some game concepts.

My deadline is very short (have to be finished in 4 weeks (and I still have to work^^))´, so every feedback is welcome.

So far I did the blockout for my first scene which shows the arrival of the first unmanned roboter at "Avalon":

As I'm done a lot of hand-painted stuff lately I want to do this here too (think of X-Com meets WoW).

avalon_gate_cam_wire_by_dethling-d7htu6e.jpg

avalon_gate_cam_by_dethling-d7htuee.jpg

Replies

• RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Okay one important thing here is the time you have you need to be very strict set realistic goals say do x in week one do x in week 2 ect.

Note at 4 weeks is not long at all say if you could start and complete 2 high quality art assets every day for 2 weeks you still only have 28 art assets which is again not much.

Careful time management in my opinion seems the way to go about this you may not be able to produce what you want so simplify lots.

If you think about what teams of 10 produce in game jams and you calculate how much hours combined for everyone compared to the results then your 1 man team its not that much you can produce

I would advise making it simple but good. With lots of work and good time management im sure you can succeed. You could use UE4's blueprint system for the mechanics which would also make everything pretty also.
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only thing that seems important to me for this kind of degree is the potential talent you show and the quality of your portfolio.

Work on high poly assets and put as much quality in your few pieces. Once you're done with your modeling do some texturing. finaly, Add some drawing to that and you will probably be took rigth away.

And most importantly, show dedication.

Good luck.
  • Sanro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sanro triangle
    DarkStar wrote: »
    The only thing that seems important to me for this kind of degree is the potential talent you show and the quality of your portfolio.

Work on high poly assets and put as much quality in your few pieces. Once you're done with your modeling do some texturing. finaly, Add some drawing to that and you will probably be took rigth away.

And most importantly, show dedication.

Good luck.

this, dont try and do a million things. focus on a few good pieces, and make them look as good as you can. Also dont neglect traditional art, get some good drawings in there, and if drawing isn't your strong point, make sure you practice it even harder
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    High quality stuff, and also optimize them. If you're doing envo stuff, then save poly everywhere you can see. Only add poly if it will define shapes. Otherwise get rid of it. It's ok to use Tris, but no n-gon.