Home General Discussion

How do you design your character's clothing?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
As the title says.. How do you do it? How do you know whats right? How do you know whats wrong? How do you know if he\she\it needs something? How do you make it interesting? Will you ever know if it looks right or wrong? :poly122:

Should you put pointless stuff? like stuff that just dangles and has no need to be there at all? Stuff that a normal person would not put there.. :book:

How does clothing a character relate to its persona? How do you know what to put so that it may relate to its persona? :poly108: :poly128:

Should you dress them like avant-garde fashion models of that world to make them look cool? :poly130:

As a person who spends his days in his underpants trying to design clothing ...Why should we wear clothes? :poly105:

Replies

• Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    You have a lot of really broad questions there.

To design good clothing you should be a well informed designer. You need to be knowledgeable and practiced when it comes to the construction of clothing, armor, etc, from different time periods, as well as being very up-to date with fashion trends. In addition you need to have a good eye for design in general for adding visual cues and design elements that may serve some other purpose either visually or for gameplay. I other words yo just need to be a good concept artist/designer.

Also the info you need going in would change greatly depending on the type of character you are making, you really need to assess the limitations of the engine, and what the gameplay needs. For instance in Dead Space a lot of traditional HUD elements like health and ammo were on the character's armor, and that sort of gameplay feature greatly influences the design of the costuming.

I think any individual character would necessitate some additional research and reference gathering in addition to a foundational knowledge of fashion and design. Also, there is something to be said for 'cool' factor, or appeal. That said you shouldn't just go around adding arbitrary elements for no reason.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Your question is far too broad, it suggests you need a better understanding of the basics.

Start with looking at these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_art
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principles_of_art

Super Franky's link is good (Pinterest is full of awesome) but without understanding the 'why' behind it all there is no point learning the 'how'.
  • buai123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting topic.:)
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Guys! These are very helpful! I never before bothered with art theory will pay more attention now.. Is there any process to concept clothing? I am designing a hide breechcloth or skirt or whatever and its difficult to make it look the way I want I have everything else under control. The boots anatomy pants the belt, etc.. I want to avoid stereotyping him and this is getting difficult to get right.

Ryse did a very good job with designing their leather skirt or whatever..
    oswald_conceptart.jpg
    k8zU2JL.jpg

It feels like leather while mine just feels like a cloth skirt...

I want to avoid this..
    il_570xN.451735407_d32f.jpg
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    deohboeh wrote: »

I want to avoid this..
    il_570xN.451735407_d32f.jpg

why would you possibly want to avoid this :poly124:
    87992-004-9307AAD1.jpg
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My main problem with this is it doesn't convey a realistic view of how waist-cloths were in that era. My main goal is to make it realistic but also aesthetically appealing.. Barbarians wouldn't go bare legged anywhere considering the harsh environments they had to live in and the fights they got into..

That said I do agree it does look really cool on Arnold! :D