Home Technical Talk

Thoughts on this computer?

StephenVyas
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
It's been 10 yrs since I last bought a pc.. Guess it's 'bout time to pick up a new one

It'll mostly be used as a workstation. Viewport performance is important, as well as render speeds.
Being able to play new games again is a bonus!

Thoughts on this one? Am i missing out on some must-haves? Would you choose something else @ that budget? etc..
http://pc.ncix.com/ncixpc_new/ncixpc.cfm?uuid=BEDDE810-1841-4B92-8C8D6E5F5CBDECE7-5789978
(I have no building knowledge, so grabbing separate components is not much of an option for me)

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    So expensive! For that price I'd want a 256GB SSD.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can build similar yourself for somewhere in the range of 50-75% of that price.

Unless you plan to do crazy overclocking (or are super anal retentive about system noise) there is no need for watercooling etc, (and watercooling in itself is a risk, what if it leaks all over your hardware?)

The general specs there are quite good, its just that you can get the same performance and pay a lot less for it.

-edit, sorry I didn't see the fine print, even if you can't/don't want to build your own, you should be able to find a similarly speced pre-built system for less. Sorry I can't give any recommendations there as I build my own systems.
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    if you're not custom building just because a lack of knowledge, you still should totally do it. any system you buy wholly made is going to be overpriced by EQ's numbers pretty much

there are dozens of really great tutorials out there that are step by step (Newegg's come to mind). I hardly had any knowledge of what different components were even called but I managed to build my rig with no major problems. if I had bought a pre-made rig with the same specs it would have been almost twice the price
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I concur, building a computer is not hard, if you can handle legos and downloading drivers, you can put together a PC. I would at the very least research the cost of building your own (don't forget to include OS in the budget).
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd probably waste more than a couple days researching + building a new comp. I guess if I were to add the cost of a day or two to the build, then things might even out with buying vs building.

In any case, just for the sake of running the numbers...
    I used the pcpicker website to see how much it would cost if I just grabbed the same components and built it myself.
    http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/3DrRe
    less than a $100 difference, unless I'm missing something here?
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    That whole entire computer will be crippled by the 4gb of ram.
  • VESIUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC wrote: »
    if you're not custom building just because a lack of knowledge, you still should totally do it. any system you buy wholly made is going to be overpriced by EQ's numbers pretty much

there are dozens of really great tutorials out there that are step by step (Newegg's come to mind). I hardly had any knowledge of what different components were even called but I managed to build my rig with no major problems. if I had bought a pre-made rig with the same specs it would have been almost twice the price

Yeah the only reason I'd buy a pre-made computer, and am going to buy a pre-made computer is watercooling. I really can't be arsed doing that, specially when it's the whole system.
    BARDLER wrote: »
    That whole entire computer will be crippled by the 4gb of ram.

It says 16GB on mine.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd probably waste more than a couple days researching + building a new comp. I guess if I were to add the cost of a day or two to the build, then things might even out with buying vs building.

I used the pcpicker website to see how much it would cost if I just grabbed the same components and built it myself.

Ah yeah its less of a difference than I thought, I was thinking the 4770 and the 780 cost a bit less than they do, that price is actually very good for a pre-built system.

You could trim a bit here and there but it won't make a huge difference.

Disregard previous advice.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Though your watercooling advice was spot on, & something I hadn't even considered.
    Yeah, that would be the last thing I'd want to have happen.

I'd be content with just the normal heatsink that comes with the cpu.
  • Jeremy Mitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Mitchell polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, save this moment. EQ was actually wrong.

Let that soak in and marinate for a minute.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

Get a cheaper case and save $50 easily. When you build your own you can manage getting the best bang for you buck a lot better.
  • Skamander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamander triangle
    Here in europe there are many shops that build the pc for 20-50€ for you. Maybe there is a shop like that in your region as well. This way you can pick every component you want, save some money and you don't have to build the rig yourself.

Though I have to agree with the statement that it's not hard to build the system yourself. Today there are many good videos on this subjet.

Btw: does it have to be a mATX case and a CPU that you can overclock? If not you can save a lot of money: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/3DDvf or you could go directly with 32Gbyte memory.

Difference to your build: Xeon 1230v3 (-$90), ASUS H87 board (-$58 ), Crucial 240 GByte SSD (+$10), non hybrid 2TByte Seagate HDD (-$40), noise dampened ATX case (-$50), 80 plus gold PSU which is nearly silent even under full load (+$35).

Overall -$222

Get a good aftermarket heatsink and the pc is really quiet. Here is a good video about building a similar build in the same case (from a well known canadian guy - actually from british columbia like you, maybe he could build the pc for you, hehe): [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMRvz_IYSgM"]ULTIMATE Build a Better $2000 Gaming & Silent Workstation PC Computer "How To" Guide - YouTube[/ame]
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Though your watercooling advice was spot on, & something I hadn't even considered.
    Yeah, that would be the last thing I'd want to have happen.

I'd be content with just the normal heatsink that comes with the cpu.

Yeah, I would skip the watercooling unless you really know what you're doing and know how to maintain such a system. Again if you're not going to overclock, and having a totally silent system isn't a goal, you can get by with standard air cooling.

If you're not OCing, you can also pick some slightly different components, a lower end motherboard, the non "K" version o the I7 (I7s overclock automatically when needed, the K version is unlocked so you can push them even further).

But even then these changes won't make a huge difference, you can change a variety of components here and probably drop $200 at max. To really cut it you would have to go down from a 780 to a 770 or 760 TI.

770 gives you 77% of the performance of the 780, but at about 62% of the cost, so a little better value, this would be the easiest place to cut off a couple hundred dollars. But you're getting less performance, and if you only buy a computer once every 10 years, you can easily justify paying a little more to get a bit more performance now.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe this shop allows you to customize to a point. I'd have to go down and talk to the folks there in person to see if I can pull off anything other than the options listed online.
    The cost is probably similar for here.

Not completely sure on the difference between the xeon v3 and i7. I understand that they use the same architecture?, but perhaps one of them runs on less wattage or is more reliable?

Thanks for the vid, i'll have a look at it over lunch.

(Edit: Thanks Earthquake. Looks like we posted at exactly the same minute. :icon60: A lower-end motherboard along with a 3770 might be more reasonable in my case)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe this shop allows you to customize to a point. I'd have to go down and talk to the folks there in person to see if I can pull off anything other than the options listed online.
    The cost is probably similar for here.

Not completely sure on the difference between the xeon v3 and i7. I understand that they use the same architecture?, but perhaps one of them runs on less wattage or is more reliable?

Thanks for the vid, i'll have a look at it over lunch.

Xeons do not have the on-board video chip, which you do not need seeing as you will use a dedicated GPU. So generally you can go with a similar spec Xeon for less money. Xeons are also meant to be rock solid/stable, so its a good choice for a workstation.

In this case though, the closest performing Xeon is basically the same price (Intel Xeon E3-1270 v3).
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (Edit: Thanks Earthquake. Looks like we posted at exactly the same minute. :icon60: A lower-end motherboard along with a 3770 might be more reasonable in my case)

No problem. I actually checked after initially posting and I think the 3770 and 4770 is at basically the same price, you'll save like $30 or something, so again not really a big deal.

Look for an H87 vs the Z87 motherboard if you're not OCing, you might save $50 or so there.
    Hey guys, save this moment. EQ was actually wrong.

Let that soak in and marinate for a minute.

Yeah well... YOUR BEARD IS TOO SHORT.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yeah, the difference isn't too large between the 3770 and 4770. - Though, I'm liking the idea of going with the Xeon 1270 v3.
    :icon60:Thanks for mentioning that, Skamander & Earthquake

The h87 might lack the SLI capability, at least the MSI version does. I don't mind spending a little more here for the future prospect of tossin' in an extra GPU

Anything else that I should pay attention to or add?
    ZacD:: yeah.. I'll go with the larger SSD
    I'll be heading down to the store tomorrow afternoon...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SLI: Seems like a good idea, but rarely is. First off, a lot of content creation apps like Max, Maya, etc won't get any boost from an SLI setup (though game engines and apps like Toolbag will).

Also, if you think about it, lets say 3 years down the road, you can pick up another identical card (if you can find one), for an unknown amount of money, or you could just buy a modern card that will be 2-3x faster than your current one at the same price or less than you originally paid.

I always advise against spending extra money for OCing, SLI, or anything you "might" do in the future. If you're going to do it for sure, spend the money, if not, save the money. Personally every time I've purchased things with that mentality I never do the "maybe someday" thing. So now I only buy what I know I will use today.
  • Skamander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamander triangle
    Regarding the Xeon: I only recommend the E3 1230v3 so often because it has the most bang for the buck if you don't need the integrated GPU and the ability to overclock your CPU.

If you don't mind paying more than ~$270 I would go with the mainstream CPU 4770 or 4770K (the Xeon 1270v3 would be ~$30-60 more compared to the 4770er without giving you more power). Also keep in mind that the integrated GPU can be useful if your dedicated card should ever malfunction. It can help you bridge the time until the dedicated GPU is RMA'd.

Btw: found out that you can choose every part that you want at ncix and if you add this to the shopping cart: http://www.ncix.com/detail/pc-assembly-and-testing-with-6c-7842.htm they build and test the pc for you (+$50).

EDIT 1: +1 for EQs last post. Absolutely agree with that.

EDIT 2: I hope I don't make your decision harder with saying this: one nice feature of Z87 boards is that you can set a fix turbo clock for the CPU (some H87 boards have that function as well, but Intel isn't amused about that which could mean that the feature gets removed with a patch) - even with Xeons. This means all cores can run at the max turbo clock of your CPU instead of only 1. For example the 4770 has normaly 3400 Mhz on all cores, but with a fixed turbo the 4770 becomes a CPU with 3900 Mhz on all cores.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn. you guys are awesome :icon60:
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    If you're going to water cool the cpu I would sugest changing the H60 for the H80i. Far superior performance, better mounting mechanism and has the Corsair Link Software for regulating a bunch of sutff.